HEY ATLANTA! Read this!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
So now everybody is in a uproar over my post.

Well let me set the record straight.

I don't know why we have gotten on car with a driver 11 times and nothing has changed but I don't approve.

If I was the center manager and heard what the supervisor did it would be the supervisor looking for a new job.

Red I don't know why we (UPS) do the things we do sometimes but in this case we have stepped way over the line.

Anybody else want to jump on the beat down wagon? Feel free, but I don't approve of anything that UPS did in this case.

JustTired

free at last.......
It is your route and if your EDD and/or pickup log are screwed up it is your job to fix them. Missed pickups and a poor trace are a reflection on you, not your sup, as he is only with you for a day.

It is not his "job" to fix them. It is his job to bring it to the attention of someone. What is done from there is out of his control. If when the system was implemented, they would have asked and taken his input, this would probably be a moot point.

You know your route better than your sup so how hard is it for you to go through your EDD to see if your "huge national company" has been PALed to the wrong shelf location and to alter your trace to ensure that they get their pkgs in a timely manner? You will deservedly get an earful when you go back to that stop on Monday for not taking care of them on Friday.

You need to take ownership in your route. Those are your customers and you need to do a better job of taking care of them, whether they are a "huge national company" or some little mom and pop store.

You need to take ownership in your career. Placing the blame for missed pickups and a poor delivery trace on the sup reflects poorly on you. If you know that a "huge national company" wants their delivery early then you break off and get their packages to them early.

While I generally agree.....there might be consequences either way you play it. The phrase "work as directed" seems to be the flavor these days. There is probably a better chance of retaining your job if you "work as directed" as opposed to you doing what you know to be 'the right thing" from a customer standpoint. Sad but true.

As far as the sup and the cup it wouldn't have gotten to that point as we would have stopped somewhere to let him use the restroom. Adults don't pee in cups--hell, I have a hard enough time peeing in a trough when I go to Fenway.

It is truly sad how far we have fallen as a company.

This is really the sad part. I have no problem with him "peeing in a cup". Sometimes you are in situations where that might be the only alternative. But there has to be a better way to dispose of it. Setting it in a cup holder on the dash is just plain stupid. It was either intentional or the guy just lacks any intelligence.

I will echo Upstates' sentiment: "It is truly sad how far we have fallen as a company."

QKRSTKR

Sounds like "Chicago Politics" to me. Chicago our JAC final step of the greivance procedure is so screwed up, our local president was thrown off the panel, warned us not to go there because everything right now is a loser. Why is it like this? How is everything a loser? I know red is talking local hearings and is in chicago, buts sounds all screwed as well. It's not like that where I'm at. We hardly ever have anything go to State Panels, let alone JAC.

I'm just glad I work where I'm at and I'm glad I work for UPS now, instead of 20 years ago. I disagree with to many OJS's. Yes it is harrassment. Talk to some old school boys, the senior guys like we have. They use to have 3-4 Sups. at a time on car with them. In the contract it says on days where more than one sup. rides with an employee shall not be used as dicipline. I didn't understand this until I talked with these guys. You would have one Sup. up front in cab with you while you were driving. The other 2 or 3 would be in the back, with the bulk door open watching everything you do as well. Talk about harrassment. That probably would have had me pissing somewhere other than a cup.

Seems like some areas, like Chicago, never learned Newton's 3rd law. For every reaction, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Members can push hard and enforce everything to a T. So can management.

But look at the bright side. Once health care passes, none of us need to work for UPS any longer for the health insurance.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Could this "left pee in the cup next to the driver's drink" be racially motivated? This reads like someone who really has a target on their back. After the 11th OJS ride this sounds like a personal vendetta between the sup and the driver or maybe he was directed to be personally harassed by the center manager? Obviously he getting under somebody's skin.

It is funny that you say that, the driver is hispanic, and the previous 10 rides the driver worked the same before and after that he did during, with or without a sup with him. A comment was made by a panel member for him to file an EEOC complaint.

deleted9

I pissed off a huge national company today. Major complaint action. Hey man, if UPS wanted me to deliver them early then they wouldn't be on shelf 5.[/QUOTE]

Losing more volume, thats not smart, blame everybody but yourself

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If my supe put a cup full of urine in my cup holder, it would have "accidently" ended up all over the jump seat as a attempted to throw it out the passenger door.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hey, back then, we thought Randy Quaid was just a good comic actor......turns out he probably wasn't acting because he's turned out to be a real looney today !

DazedandConfused

So in essence what we are saying here - is that its ok for the driver to urinate in a cup/bottle and leave it in the truck - but a management person cannot.

Can you see why the sup is riding with him, heck he was gone long enough for the sup to urinate in a cup in the truck. Ever thought the driver was taking too much time to make the delivery.

You see it half full. We see it half empty. :happy2::peaceful:

It is one thing to go into a something that won't leak and leave it in the back, but only a "pig" would leave it in the cup holder in the cab.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Good thing the driver wasn't drinking lemon gatorade. I don't think the sup would have said anything if he grabbed the wrong cup to drink from.....eeewwwwwww.

brownrod

I re-read this (twice) to see if there were any signs of sarcasm and couldn't find any. It is your route and if your EDD and/or pickup log are screwed up it is your job to fix them.

You know your route better than your sup so how hard is it for you to go through your EDD to see if your "huge national company" has been PALed to the wrong shelf location and to alter your trace to ensure that they get their pkgs in a timely manner? You will deservedly get an earful when you go back to that stop on Monday for not taking care of them on Friday.

You need to take ownership in your route. Those are your customers and you need to do a better job of taking care of them, whether they are a "huge national company" or some little mom and pop store.

You need to take ownership in your career. Placing the blame for missed pickups and a poor delivery trace on the sup reflects poorly on you. If you know that a "huge national company" wants their delivery early then you break off and get their packages to them early.

It is truly sad how far we have fallen as a company.

Actually, I was doing a route cold. When I looked at EDD it was all Greek to me. No idea if any particular address was a res or com. Truck was cubed out with boxes. I just followed EDD. I got all my business delivered by 5 pm no problem. But all these business are used to AM deliveries. Many with receiving departments that close early. By following EDD I got to the core of my business deliveries after 3 PM. Which was great, actually. Because I was able to do most my pickups at the same time I delivered.

When I showed up to a particular huge national store with 30+ pkgs about 5 minutes before their recieving dept went home for the weekend they were very angry with me. They even asked me "don't they train you???" No, they just give me a truck and let me figure it out on my own.

When I tried to find a sup in the morning to tell him how screwed I was and how I had no area knowledge they pretty much tried to hide from me and ignore me. I had to go out of my way to track one down and get some NDA pulled off my truck.

To add insult to injury this truck even had extra work thrown on it. NDA's for neighbor routes. Commercial stops from a neighboring route on shelf 7 and 8. Thank you, UPS. You are lucky I made service on everything. Because my attitude is that I would not have cared if I had service failures. I was doing my best.

Why would I care if I had service failures if a sup was riding with me? If working as directed causes services failures then that is just poor management - not my problem.

I am a full time driver without a bid route. So you can understand why I don't take ownership over a route.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
What these stories tell me is what we all have known, for the most part we are on our own. My attitude is that for 30 bucks an hour I'm OK with that. I am in my 14th year and I have my own route, but it was not always like that. If I ever had questions on a route I was not familiar with I would ask other DRIVERS not the supes. Nothing personal but when it comes to area knowledge ask the ones who work in that area. Supes are just like you and I, they have a job to do and from what I have seen is that their list gets longer and longer. Some will prosper and others as we all know will flame.

At the end of the day you just need to remind yourself that you the driver will be in your center far longer then them. With all the changes that have started at UPS in the salary world I believe things will get worse before they get better. Nothing personal again but its just human nature for people to deflect their anger onto those around them. So the next time your supe yells at you take pleasure in knowing that they probably just got their ### chewed out on a conference call ten times worse then you.

bumped

Everyday I have businesses in the 7000-8000 shelves(non dump stops). When I'm on vacation or personal day the stuff gets missed some of the time. When they add/cut it off of me it gets missed for sure. I don't care, because UPS doesn't care. They're not my customers....It is UPS's route, UPS's customers, UPS's everything. I don't change anything. Its not my job. They want me to change the route on my time. No Fing way am I doing that. They didn't care about my input when PAS went in, so I'm not fixing it now.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I just fixed my route. Everything I fixed was wonderful, now the rest is shot. I pulled up to an air stop at 1029am, and could not find their stuff. Low and behold it was on a shelf somewhere. I give up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyday I have businesses in the 7000-8000 shelves(non dump stops). When I'm on vacation or personal day the stuff gets missed some of the time. When they add/cut it off of me it gets missed for sure. I don't care, because UPS doesn't care. They're not my customers....It is UPS's route, UPS's customers, UPS's everything. I don't change anything. Its not my job. They want me to change the route on my time. No Fing way am I doing that. They didn't care about my input when PAS went in, so I'm not fixing it now.

The way I look at it, you can work harder or you can work smarter. I prefer to work smarter. My DOL is 98% on trace as I put the time in to set it up when the PAS/EDD team was in our bldg. My loader is the best in the bldg who also drives at Peak so he knows the job. He will move bulk stops in a way that makes sense both for him and me and will tell me about his moves. He knows what air I like loaded with their stops and which go in the 1000 section. I go through my EDD before I leave the bldg so that there are no suprises.

Maybe I am old school but this is my area, these are my customers and this is my career and I will do all that I can to ensure all 3 are taken care of.

Overpaid Union Thug

You sound about like me. Regarding the businesses in the 7000/8000 sections.....When I complain I'm always told "Thats how its looped." Whatever. Well, FIX IT! That seems to be the excuse for everything now.

I just fixed my route. Everything I fixed was wonderful, now the rest is shot. I pulled up to an air stop at 1029am, and could not find their stuff. Low and behold it was on a shelf somewhere. I give up.

I gave up a long way back. All we can do is show up and do our jobs and just watch as management flushed this company down the toilet.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The way I look at it, you can work harder or you can work smarter. I prefer to work smarter. My DOL is 98% on trace as I put the time in to set it up when the PAS/EDD team was in our bldg. My loader is the best in the bldg who also drives at Peak so he knows the job. He will move bulk stops in a way that makes sense both for him and me and will tell me about his moves. He knows what air I like loaded with their stops and which go in the 1000 section. I go through my EDD before I leave the bldg so that there are no suprises.

Maybe I am old school but this is my area, these are my customers and this is my career and I will do all that I can to ensure all 3 are taken care of.

Good for you Upstate, for those of us in the real world, no input was asked for nor accepted when the new system went in. We had 1 sup drive all around the city for 6 weeks and completely reloop every route in the building. The first day for the new loops was the first day for PAS/EDD. its been more than 2 years now and its still screwed up!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good for you Upstate, for those of us in the real world, no input was asked for nor accepted when the new system went in. We had 1 sup drive all around the city for 6 weeks and completely reloop every route in the building. The first day for the new loops was the first day for PAS/EDD. its been more than 2 years now and its still screwed up!!!

Grocer, you are right, it is good for me as my day is smooth with no surprises.

The thought of you struggling all day makes mine that much better.:wink2:

bumped

Oh, its smooth for me too. I don't run it in trace and some young runner/gunner can't run it into the ground. Thus, when I get back from vacation I don't have an extra 10 stops added.