Hey! Don't I get a receipt?!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I had a lady on my route start up an EBay business. The first time I delivered a package to her, she very seriously tried to explain to me that from that point on she was going to be my first stop of the day, and that her "procedure" for accepting packages would involve opening and inspecting each one prior to signing for it, with me being an "official witness" as to its condition. Needless to say, the conversation we had regarding the true extent of her delusional thinking did not go well. For her at least.

HomeDelivery

Just pull the PAL label off and hand it to him.....instant receipt!

nice, like minds think alike... i do the same thing, in addition to slapping it on a blank info-notice

I have pulled the PAL label off if somebody was refusing a package and wanted some kind of proof. I have also wrote the tracking number on an Infonotice and handed it to them.

our PAL labels have the recipient's name, address, and that long tracking # on the bottom of it, so just slapping it on an info-notice & telling him/her that they can enter that tracking number on the website to confirm it later on is soo much easier than writing it out

HomeDelivery

Or, can I have a receipt for the ARS I just gave you? No. I don't have one to give you. Well how do I know you're not going to steal it?

do you guys scan the barcode at point-of-contact? to show the customer that it was entered as an unlisted/ unscheduled pickup? (our scanners have that option)

my wife lost a parcel that way when the shipper of a returns item couldn't trace when the ups driver picked it off the front door...

now, i just told her to goto a ups store & ask for a receipt (no-worries now since she finally got proof of dropoff)

HomeDelivery

I know this has been posted a billion and one times before this but it happened to me just last night, on a day that I was 50 stops over my max so it bothered me more than normal. I delivered the package and rang the bell (big mistake), get in the truck, belt in and started it up. I'm clearing my blind spot and just about to pull away when this guy comes running out of his house in 10 degree weather waving his arms to stop me. I shut the diesel engine so I can hear him yell from across a busy street "Do I have to sign anything?" I stared at him for three seconds with a disgusted look and finally said "Umm, ahhh, NO"

Why do people do this? Really, why? Why would you come running out of your warm house to ask a driver this when the package has already been left at your door? Instead of doing scientific research on animal behavior somebody should do a study on the idiocy of UPS customers.

I just want to understand what goes through their mind. Are they starved for friendship and want to start a conversation with me? Its the only thing I can think of.

i had a similar person doing the same thing, but didn't notice the white bag by the porch's front door mat was just laying there... he ran down his icy driveway to wave me down & said "where is my package?"

i had a gas engine, so i kept it running for warmth:peaceful: & told him to carefully walk back up to your porch, look down at your welcome mat & spot a white bag:whiteflag:

the next few times, i'll just drop-n-run without ringing the doorbell (standard operating procedure at FedEx HD!:sheepish:)

oldngray

nowhere special
do you guys scan the barcode at point-of-contact? to show the customer that it was entered as an unlisted/ unscheduled pickup? (our scanners have that option)

my wife lost a parcel that way when the shipper of a returns item couldn't trace when the ups driver picked it off the front door...

now, i just told her to goto a ups store & ask for a receipt (no-worries now since she finally got proof of dropoff)

UPS drivers are not allowed to enter anything as an unscheduled pickup (although there is that option in the board). We just scan the package and take credit for it as a prepaid package but get no credit for a stop. Sometimes I would be obvious about scanning the package in front of customer so they would see there is a record of it. But when you scan really doesn't matter otherwise.

DorkHead

The shipper is entitled to getting a receipt and can see it when they track the package to see when it was delivered and who signed for it. Telematics verifies the time and location for UPS if they need to prove it. So no, the consignee does not receive a receipt. This is what I was told to say if people ask for a receipt.

About 20 yrs ago when I was cocky & young.I was dragging in a big heavy load on a cold day.Didn't get the door closed behind me and the Bitchy old lady in the waiting room got up and slammed the door shut.She says were you born in a barn...."I said no a manger they wouldn't let me in the barn".

overflowed

Why do people do this? Really, why? Why would you come running out of your warm house to ask a driver this when the package has already been left at your door? Instead of doing scientific research on animal behavior somebody should do a study on the idiocy of UPS customers.

I just want to understand what goes through their mind. Are they starved for friendship and want to start a conversation with me? Its the only thing I can think of.[/quote]

This reminds me of something similar that happened in the boonies. Someone sped up real fast behind me and was flashing their lights and honking. Being it was the sticks and strange people sometimes live out there I didn't immediately stop. When I finally get to my next stop the guy wanted to know if I needed a sig and had been driving around for 15 min. looking for me. Crazy.

didyousheetit

The shipper is entitled to getting a receipt and can see it when they track the package to see when it was delivered and who signed for it. Telematics verifies the time and location for UPS if they need to prove it. So no, the consignee does not receive a receipt. This is what I was told to say if people ask for a receipt.
This is similar to what I tell consignees. The shipper paid for shipping they get a receipt,if you want a receipt then you need to contact shipper

Sent using BrownCafe App

browniehound

Had a customer one time (during peak, of course) tell me to "come on inside, have a seat and get a cup of coffee" while he got on the phone with the shipper to "verify the amount" on a COD.

He was less than thrilled when I explained to him that I wouldnt be sitting down or enjoying any of his coffee that day.
This situation is one I really, truly loathe. Simply because there is nothing I can do to change a COD amount and the customer knows this. Yet, they still insist on wasting our time by saying something like "Please hold on a minute (more like 7 minutes) while I make a quick phone call to the vendor. This is a big mistake on their part". Even after you say again "Sir, I can only accept payment for the amount on the package nothing else can be done", they still want to make the phone call and hold you up.
This really tests my patience. I've been on my same route for about 5 years now and the last thing I want to be is rude to any of my customers. I am blessed to have great ones or at least 95% are great(best route customer wise I've ever pulled and I've pulled over 30). But, how do I get out of there is less than a minute when they insist on making that phone call without looking like a total A-bowl.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Once they hint that they are going to make the phone call I write down the shipper name and COD amount on an info notice and tell them I will be back tomorrow. 9 times out of 10 this gets them to start writing the check.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most of the time the customer will tell you he is going to write a check and won't tell you he is going to call the shipper first. Most drivers wouldn't wait if they knew about the phone call.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of the time the customer will tell you he is going to write a check and won't tell you he is going to call the shipper first. Most drivers wouldn't wait if they knew about the phone call.

....which is why you control the delivery situation by watching the consignee the entire time you are in their store....

barnyard

KTM rider
Several years ago, there was a dish box at a regular delivery point that had a note "call me when UPS guy gets here" and the return label scotch taped to it. The regular lady paged the person with the box and I said, "Don't bother, she is going to say, 'I was not sure what to do with the label.'"

She looked at me and said, "There is no way she is that stupid."

Me, "I guarantee it."

The woman came in and said, "I wasn't sure what to do with the label."

The secretary started laughing and I said, "For those that missed the sticker section in kindergarten, you peel it off and stick it to the box, preferably covering the old label." and I crumpled up the backer and threw it away.

3 days later, the secretary told me that I had to talk to the Dish shipper. She asked, "Remember that box the other day?? I need a receipt for that."

"Oh, yeah, about that. It was attached to the backer that I threw away after I put the label on the box." and I shrugged.

My absolute most irritating pet peeve is people that do not know how to put a label on a box. If you are not smart enough to do it, you do not get to keep a receipt.

code5

I used to tell customers to go to ups website in about. 20 min, type in tracking number then you can print your own receipt of deliver. Most were pretty satisfied with that.