Hey everyone!

UPSnewb

Hey everyone! I'm the new guy here and to UPS. Today is the first day I'm on call duty for the seasonal driver helper position. I browsed through a few threads and got lots of good information. But I haven't come across a few topics that I'm concerned about. Being the first day after orientation, I'm unsure of what to expect; what I should know, what I should be doing, do's and don'ts, etc.

To be more specific, I'm wonder if it's normal to not be called the first day? how long should I wait before its clear that I'm not needed for the day? The hours that I'm told to be available is 8am-8pm; if I'm not called by 1pm, should I consider the rest of my day free?

I don't have a car and I'm worried that if I get the call to meet the driver somewhere, that I might not be able to make it there on time by public transit. Is there anything I can do? Should I be wearing my uniform all day while waiting for the call to run out the door asap?

I realized after orientation, we didn't get to see let alone try out a DIAD. What should I do if I need to use it on the job? What is the usually step process to using a DIAD? Scan bars code then have the person sign for it? Would the driver know that he/she might need to teach me how to use the DIAD? I've read that it's ok to let the driver do the DIAD work, but I don't want to be a human hand truck and slow the driver down.

If the area is residential and all the packages are approved for driver release, would we be allowed to get scan the package, place the package near the door, yell "UPS!" and run... swiftly walk back to the truck and go? I got a few mixed messages at the orientation as to what I should be expecting, do we stay with the driver and I walk the packages up while the driver set up the next delivery all the time? Or should I be expected to get loaded with a bunch of packages on a hand truck and go door to door dropping off packages in the area? I guess kind of like the mailman.

Lastly, I realized we never talked about when and where we pick up our pay checks. For a seasonal helper, how do I find that information?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well, even if its posted somewhere else in the forum. Would be good to have all that information in a current thread for others who might be starting out recently with similar concerns as I do.

Thanks!

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
UPSnewb,

Welcome to the BrownCafe!

I'm going to let others answer your questions but just wanted to welcome you as a new user..If you don't get responses on this thread try posting some questions in the "UPS Discussions forum."