hey FedEx, can you please note on your site about the rental vehicles being used ???

HomeDelivery

I am getting tired of telling the customers that there aren't enough vehicles for the demand, so we have to use Budget, Enterprise, Ryder, etc. rental vehicles to keep up with the delivery area.

(but, really the sub-contractors doesn't have enough funds yet to get more vehicles for their routes that are expanding with new suburban and old-folks developments popping up all over the place... )

anyways, please note this on your website since you didn't reply to me directly when I emailed your company a few weeks ago.

PS: those cheapo "Operated by FedEx Ground" magnetic signs can be better than plain font type... you're already saving big $$$ by sub-contracting to let the "contractors" abosorb the costs of vehicles, maintenance, fuel, etc... spend that $ on better signs!

use your own copyrighted LOGO on them instead so it can slightly stand out when we drive up a customer's looooong rural driveway & they'll know its a FedEx Home Delivery driver...

I had some customers on the defensive wif their shotguns and guard dogs because it's still hard to read dem signs on the side of the Budget rental boxtruck...

------------------------------

here's a good suggestion:

Operated by
fedex_home_delivery140.png

keep it black n white to save some costs & put the US DOT number below it
fedex_home_delivery140.png

Last edited:

SmithBarney

Re: hey FedEx, can you please note on your site about the rental vehicles being used

Sorry You are a Contractor, You are responsible for your own vehicles...

Read your contract...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Re: hey FedEx, can you please note on your site about the rental vehicles being used

I am getting tired of telling the customers that there aren't enough vehicles for the demand, so we have to use Budget, Enterprise, Ryder, etc. rental vehicles to keep up with the delivery area.

(but, really the sub-contractors doesn't have enough funds yet to get more vehicles for their routes that are expanding with new suburban and old-folks developments popping up all over the place... )

anyways, please note this on your website since you didn't reply to me directly when I emailed your company a few weeks ago.

PS: those cheapo "Operated by FedEx Ground" magnetic signs can be better than plain font type... you're already saving big $$$ by sub-contracting to let the "contractors" abosorb the costs of vehicles, maintenance, fuel, etc... spend that $ on better signs!

use your own copyrighted LOGO on them instead so it can slightly stand out when we drive up a customer's looooong rural driveway & they'll know its a FedEx Home Delivery driver...

I had some customers on the defensive wif their shotguns and guard dogs because it's still hard to read dem signs on the side of the Budget rental boxtruck...

Operated by
View attachment 5743

They don't care. The HD guy where I live drives a plain white Econoline with no markings at all. His English isn't so good, and he often delivers boxes to the wrong address. He's almost good enough to be a Ground driver. His lack of visible tats would probably keep him out of the running though. A nice naked lady on the back of the calf would surely land him that primo gig with Ground.

HomeDelivery

i'm not a contractor, but it does help the customers to know the pseudo-FedEx is out there on rental vehicles

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

i'm not a contractor, but it does help the customers to know the pseudo-FedEx is out there on rental vehicles

Agreed, but then the cheap SOB would have to buy something extra.

bbsam

Staff member

Oh no I wouldn't.

HomeDelivery

this isn't an attack to the subcontractors of ground/ HD...

since FedEx is saving major $$$ for passing the operating expenses to the subcontractors, at least make those signs stand out!

& how hard is it for an computer geek to add this important note on their website?

whenIgetthere

When I was in a rental for a while last year, when customers asked me, I told them Fedex was too cheap to buy new vehicles. I told one acct. just think it costs you 15 bucks to ship an envelope times the 100 or so I picked up that night, and Smith won't buy any new vehicles!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

When I was in a rental for a while last year, when customers asked me, I told them Fedex was too cheap to buy new vehicles. I told one acct. just think it costs you 15 bucks to ship an envelope times the 100 or so I picked up that night, and Smith won't buy any new vehicles!

He's not buying any because he cares so much about you and his customers and not some silly influential politician he's flying around coast to coast regardless of the high price of aircraft and jet fuel.

HomeDelivery

i leave 'em on, since these vehicles are used for the job only...

when they do fly off from the door during the highway run to my 1st stop (i did have a few lost that way) there's a separate DOT # on some of the rental vehicles anyways <shrugs>

FedExer267

Operated by
View attachment 5743

This is exactly what happens when a multi billion dollar company puts the cost of doing their business off on the little guys. To many Contractors out their do not make enough money to pay their fleet of drivers let alone pay for mechinical problems to their trucks. So we get stuck in rentals I cannot tell you how many times I have driven up to a home and the customers were on the defensive til I got out and they saw the uniform.
The biggest problem is not all Contractors supply you with magnets so the customer has no clue who is pulling up. Most contractors will tell you I cant afford it. It is really sad that a billion dollar company cannot atleast supply magnets for these rentals to keep us safe. I have had customers out in rural areas as well with guns in hand because they have no clue who I am. I have been pulled over by the cops when delivering my high end homes in my residential area as well.
Come on Fred atleast kick down for signs you already get away with no overtime, no benefits, and Drivers working 14 hours straight. If the Contractors truly cant afford it then maybe you should make sure they can make enough money to run thier business because we all know you are getting a profit. I have always said it is truly sad that I can work 50 to 70 hours a week and still qualify for government assistance.

Whats up bbsam did you miss me?? hahaha

HomeDelivery

agree with your statement; i also had the pleasure of having guard dogs ready to eat my leg or arm off & with some people ready with their shotgun, sitting on the porch... gets worse as daylight goes down & hope you aren't delivering to these types of homes at night!

contractors shouldn't foot the bill for these cheapo magnetic signs, but they'll find a way to make 'em pay for it in the end; the contractors have to pay for all the other stuff, eh?

bbsam

Staff member

267! Holy crap! I'd thought you'd left us. But to the subject, fedex does supply the magnets so if your contractor says otherwise, well he's simply wrong.

HomeDelivery

yea, especially when peak season is coming, they'll be ordering more to cover the rentals that the temp drivers will be using... why i'm suggesting this to the corp now & hope they'll be watching this thread.

i'm currently signing up for Randstad temp agency now (so getting paid by the hour is better than the flat rate salary or per-stop salary)

edit: well i'm still active in thurr system; yay!

CJinx

I had a driver tell me today that some customer mistook him for a Budget employee.

Customer: "Wow, Budget delivers now?"
Driver: "Yeah, but they make us wear these crappy uniforms!"

HomeDelivery

hmm, we didn't have magnetic signs this year; they were self-adhesive vinyl decals that were easily removed from the rentals after peak was done... it said "operated by FedEx Ground" but not "Home Delivery"... (i'd prefer the HD distinction though)

Mom

This was the first year that our stations's senior manager 'allowed' contractors to 'borrow' the FedEx DOT magnets. This was after repeatedly telling us that there was no such thing....for years. After somebody finally brought it up to a regional whoever that was in town to give us all high fives and remind us how lucky we are to work 'with' X....the magnets magically appeared stuck to a door in the office.​