Hey Fred, Lose Those Expensive Corporate Jets..We're Broke!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whatever MrFed, I had 3 guys trailng me like dogs in heat and I did ask them, and they did tell me UPS executives....Please dont call me a liar. Because I am not....

...no one is calling you a liar...perhaps the executives had a tight time schedule that the commercial airlines could not accomodate....all I know is that we have been told that UPS executives fly coach...

Goldilocks

...no one is calling you a liar...perhaps the executives had a tight time schedule that the commercial airlines could not accomodate....all I know is that we have been told that UPS executives fly coach...

This airport accommodates Frito lay, TI and UPS....Just saying...Those men(UPS) were all over me like white on rice....

vantexan

Thank you for this reply. You are right in a righteous way. But what you say is very very Democratic and semi-communist. True equal is a communist ideal. In terms of old timers making more then new hires can ever make is very much a demo/union/rights/middle class issue were are fighting today. That is why I am pointed more democratically today vs republican ideally. America is going anywhere but up if future generations make less then past generations. Guaranteed loser.

I'm hoping you start to see how you are playing both sides of the fence unknowingly. You want Fedex to pay you and treat you better. By being Republican based, you are going against what you want. You need your rights, you need unions to exist at the minimum to set a workable wage scale. You are like me, you are like all of us here. You need protections, you only want a fair wage and to live off that and raise a family. Having corporations/republican's run the show with what they are showing and telling us will not satisfy your needs at this time. The people that you are unhappy with at Fedex are Republican aligned, no?

But about the neighbor doing the same thing but not as well but still getting paid more... Unless we go communist that can still happen in a democratic world as well. It's still a market party and in good times you have the option to leave and find the same job at a better scale. Hell I have some friends that even in these times have done it recently. The scenario you portray is also an issue of the employee, you still have to keep your options open, don't be totally complacent. In fact I went to a High School recently to talk about my line of work, one of the points I made clear to the students was this: 1. Don't be afraid to move, don't use friends and family as the reason why you won't. You need to maximize you and open your world. 2. When starting out in the field you want to be in, work a couple years to get the needed EXP and then jump jobs to get to the scale you want, that is the easiest way to get 10-25% pay raises, otherwise most companies will take advantage of your complacency and you won't get to where you want to be.

You assume all Republicans are like our FedEx leadership. What you aren't seeing is that pretty much everywhere Democrats are in power too much is spent pleasing various constituencies and eventually getting the gov't in hot water. Same goes for unions constantly pushing for more to the point companies seek alternatives. There has to be a balance between spending and responsibility. What I'd like to see is what is common in other countries: CEO's and other execs making 15 to 50 times their average employees total compensation. They'd still do very well and their employees tend to do better too. Our dog-eat-dog culture places too much emphasis on making it big financially, and you really aren't anyone important until you do. Of course not everyone sees it that way, but our popular culture places too much emphasis on money. I don't believe, as communists do, in forcing everyone to do this or that. People should be free to innovate, to start their own businesses, to grow wealthy over time. But those in power should do everything reasonable to help their employees who help them succeed. It's the right thing, the decent thing to do. Going out of your way to hurt others financially to improve your bank account is morally wrong, and doing it on a mass scale is the economic equivalent of herding large groups of people into concentration camps. Be careful in your quasi admiration of communists. They herded people into concentration camps too. And remember that jobs don't exist in a vacuum. Someone must start a company, risk his money, work very long hours to make it grow, and add employees as it grows. He's earned the right to do well, and is providing jobs for others. He shouldn't exploit you, but it's not his responsibility to pay you so much so that you can have all you ever wanted. It's not a perfect system, but it works as long employers recognize people don't just exist to serve them. The balance between spending and responsibility.

TUT

This airport accommodates Frito lay, TI and UPS....Just saying...Those men(UPS) were all over me like white on rice....

I have to side with Goldilocks on this one a bit... because we all know better then to just carte blanche trust people anymore. There is some local sport talk guy who always sides with "people are better then this" when a scandal breaks. It almost always turns out to be true and this guy never learns and assumes the next scandal, it can't be. Sometimes you have to stop playing the fool. This isn't a huge deal to me, but just sayin how things are sold to us anymore.

Goldilocks

I have to side with Goldilocks on this one a bit... because we all know better then to just carte blanche trust people anymore. There is some local sport talk guy who always sides with "people are better then this" when a scandal breaks. It almost always turns out to be true and this guy never learns and assumes the next scandal, it can't be. Sometimes you have to stop playing the fool. This isn't a huge deal to me, but just sayin how things are sold to us anymore.

Very smart guy!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Maybe UPS was using NetJets or some other jet rental outfit on an as-needed basis. The point is that FedEx runs an enormous private jet fleet at tremendous cost when the company is supposedly ready to go belly-up at any minute. See anything amiss there?

TUT

Maybe UPS was using NetJets or some other jet rental outfit on an as-needed basis. The point is that FedEx runs an enormous private jet fleet at tremendous cost when the company is supposedly ready to go belly-up at any minute. See anything amiss there?

That you use extremes? Company is selling to it's people it's going belly up now? Airline company has a lot of planes, news at 11.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That you use extremes? Company is selling to it's people it's going belly up now? Airline company has a lot of planes, news at 11.

I don't think you're understanding. These are executive jets, not cargo jets. Both UPS and FedEx have hundreds of line haul jets and supplemental turboprops (flown by contractors). They are used primarily for VIP transport (as in paid-off politicians), not freight. Therein lies the problem.

TUT

I don't think you're understanding. These are executive jets, not cargo jets. Both UPS and FedEx have hundreds of line haul jets and supplemental turboprops (flown by contractors). They are used primarily for VIP transport (as in paid-off politicians), not freight. Therein lies the problem.

Oh I understand. First there are such things as executive jets, so they would be for executives. Then Fedex being an airlines them having exec jets, doesn't come as a total shocker to me. I just don't see the omg in this one, could it be tightened up some, perhaps. Would that trickle down to the worker, ahhh silence.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh I understand. First there are such things as executive jets, so they would be for executives. Then Fedex being an airlines them having exec jets, doesn't come as a total shocker to me. I just don't see the omg in this one, could it be tightened up some, perhaps. Would that trickle down to the worker, ahhh silence.

11 jets is excessive, especially when they might as well be called "Congress Express". You don't see anything wrong in spending huge money for them when they are claiming that costs have been cut to the bone? They are talking out of both sides of their mouths...typical.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

And, as I recall, we can't be called an "airline" any longer since we're no longer allowed to jumpseat. No passengers = no airline. The suits could save a ton of money by using an outfit like NetJets and allowing them to eat the costs for the crew, maintenance, storage, etc etc....

TUT

11 jets is excessive, especially when they might as well be called "Congress Express". You don't see anything wrong in spending huge money for them when they are claiming that costs have been cut to the bone? They are talking out of both sides of their mouths...typical.

Not really. But that is me. I cannot speak on the validity of your claims, do you have any links per se? If it is for congress and can prove it, I would consider it interesting.

I didn't think what is going on was being looked at as "we are rich and you are not, we will take things away from our selves". They have a lifestyle that they aren't considering an issue or your business, they are looking at how a division is operating and trying to make it more attractive for wall street. I do however get that workers should make a living wage and an increasing one at that. Their perks really don't have to do with it, they aren't in a cash crunch as a whole.

Ideally I would have caps on highest paid to lowest paid a ratio, but we are not there as a country. Again I focus on the country a bit more. Fedex won't impose rules like that on themselves, it would have to be enforced by laws. That shift isn't visible on my radar at this point. You have to look at them as owners of the company and if they didn't make the bank they want, they wouldn't be doing it, thus there would be no jobs, this isn't a gov't entity and even those don't have some type of blood pact.

To the other poster they aren't listed as an airlines anymore. Ok enough with the name games. They have lots of planes, it doesn't surprise me they have exec jets.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Ok. I have a lot of cars (and yes they all run and are legal...lol), does that mean I have a car lot? I don't have a dealer's license and these are all in my name... An "airline" implies "passengers", unless you come right out and say you have a "cargo airline" and then you aren't open to much interpretation. We are misclassified in being an "airline" from the old days when we could ride on the planes, which since we live in the post 9/11 world, we no longer have this "benefit".

It's not about a "name game", it's more of a simplified, "stating facts game". Splitting hairs in this instance is not necessary, it's all out in the open.

TUT

Another way to look at this. You want hourlies making more money, noble, they should, get it.

But focusing on their things won't help, in fact I would say this is what they would do if they were to do anything. The state they have retired company jets, but hourlies still get the same. The goal wasn't accomplished. So it's not about pointing fingers, it's about making things just for those that need it.

Those that feel wrong and want to fight a good fight and not go elsewhere, you simply focus on your needs and be just.

SmithBarney

And, as I recall, we can't be called an "airline" any longer since we're no longer allowed to jumpseat. No passengers = no airline..

Not sure if that is what makes an airline an airline, either way doesn't matter since,
unfortunately Jump-seat still happens, Only Pilots and Crew are the only ones, with the occasional exec.
The Pilots Union cited safety as a reason not to allow DGO members to jumpseat.. ironically
the only time there has been an attack on a FedEx flight was from a Disgruntled(psycho) Pilot.

DontThrowPackages

Not sure if that is what makes an airline an airline, either way doesn't matter since,
unfortunately Jump-seat still happens, Only Pilots and Crew are the only ones, with the occasional exec.
The Pilots Union cited safety as a reason not to allow DGO members to jumpseat.. ironically
the only time there has been an attack on a FedEx flight was from a Disgruntled(psycho) Pilot.

I wonder why other airlines aren't afraid of their non pilots and crew members? Thought the pilots were tough guys, guess thats not the case.

hypo hanna

Isolated incidents were meerly am excuse. Something to tell the sheeple why they are loosing yet another Benefit. No doubt it was about cutting cost and liability.
For every incident there were thousands of trips taken incident free. I would say that jumpseaters and interline flyers were far less trouble then the general population knowing what was at stake if they screwed up.

More fine work from the department of smoke and mirrors.