Hey Mechanics, explain to me the truck numbers, please.

satellitedriver

speaking of new cars, i herd a rumor that by 08 we should have gotten rid of all the old non powering stearing cars.

anyone else here this?
I talked to my mechanic. The P-5 (non-power steering, with 700,000 miles on it) I drive is not planned to be replaced in the next three years.
I keep telling myself it is a good upperbody workout to drive it, much less the fact I have to load and unload it.

satellitedriver

I did not hit the trash can. It was down when I got there.
Srinter with a box on it...

K790a065.jpg
The trash can was made by Rubbermaid. I have seen the commercials, they bounce right back.
That vehicle, looks like a pain to deliver out of.

On that Sprinter with a box body it is called a P-57. There are other style P-57's that look like smaller P-700's. They start with a 571 or 572 number and have a navistar twin turbo V-6 in them (vt-275). As far as junking the old non-power steering trucks, it's only the ones with a 292 in-line 6 cylinder, the ones with the 4.3 V-6 will be around for a few more years.

My understanding from what our mechanics have said was that the 140123 (or whatever numbers after the 14) designation were the new P1000's. The 1200s have numbers like 131345 (doesn't make sense to me either as I've seen some older 1000s with those type of numbers too). A 1200 is the current flagship in package car size I believe as we have like 5 of them...they're huge, you know one when you see it haha.

The Sprinters are a Dailmer-Benz creation. They are a 5 cylinder diesel (correct me if I'm wrong please). They look like a tall minivan in most forms but UPS managed to customize some of theirs to have the sprinter front end (and engine) but have the typical UPS package car look to the back end of it (there was a pic on these forums somewhere, they guy who supposedly hit the trash can in the pic :lol:).

Thats pretty much all I know about them lol.

<---You mean this one?

Last edited:

Lobofan5

The sprinter with a box on it looks like a small improvement over the regular sprinter..just in the back height.

We have two sprinters at our center and they are my absolute LAST choice to take out. Very hard to deliver out of.

I'm about 6'3 in my shoes and I think the back of a sprinter is about...3.5 feet.

(OK thats an exaggeration....but it does suck.)

thom1842

We have Sprinter's without the box at the air hub I work out of, they aren't modified at all with the big package area on the back, just the normal Sprinter chassis. I hate them only slightly less than the Econoline models, at least you can walk through the cargo area of the Sprinter.