Hey! (New UPS Employee)

stoavio

browniehound said:
stoavio,
When I started at UPS 8 years ago loading feeders I was about 30 LBS over weight and it was the middle of the summer. By the end of the summer I lost all the weight and havn't put it back on yet. And like Tie said there are some jerks out there, but my experiences with management have been mostly positive.

It's really cool to hear that. I'm about 15lbs overweight right now and hope to see the weight start coming off.

On a separate note. I was thinking about purchasing a CamelBak Hydration Pack so that I'll never have to stop and grab my water bottle or run over to the drinking fountain. I'm sure I can find one for $20.00-$30.00. I'll be sure to find one that's steamlined, small, and fits closely to my body so as not to create a potential safety hazard e.g.(hanging straps, or unnecssary cargo space). I just want the smallest one I can find. I can see this being something that increases my overall productivity by allowing me to spend more time working by not taking *any* water breaks, and because I'll always be hydrated. Here's an example of what I have in mind:

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/friend/1472/124/4h/img.ebags.com/is/image/im5/64575_3_1?&op_sharpen=1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

Do you think my supervisor will have a problem with me wearing one?

teamsterdan

"How could tell you had a 22.3 job?? You also must be the worst shop stewart ever." sorry to disappoint you friend.....I just let "the children" bicker amongst themselves..... I agree with your implication that things would be easier if "the workers" had no rights...reminds me of a quote from a nameless world leader..... "things would be easier if this were a dictatorship, as long as I'm the dictator"....good luck on you way up the corporate ladder...... BTW why is it that 22.3 jobs seem to bother you.......bet you knew I had one also BECAUSE IT's IN MY PROFILE?????? I actually preferred things before the 22.3 jobs because I was getting ot after 5hrs........now I have to sweat it out for a straight 8hrs......as I like to say "these 8 hr. days are killing me" not really, It's given me more time to focus on my portfolio........and happy hr......

tieguy

Banned
teamsterdan the workers who do hustle and flow are rewarded w/ more work........[/quote said:
If you would like us to consider someones age and ask them to do less because you feel that they are able to do less then shouldn't we also expect those who can hustle and do more work to also do so?

teamsterdan

not necessarily....... it would be more efficient to eliminate those who can't hang, then by training ALL employee's to the same min. standard and abiding to that standard.....inconsistancy seems to be the biggest problem, hiring middle aged women, and obviously over weight, and out of shape men to unload trailers makes little sense..... In reality I have little issue w/picking up the slack of those who are not as "seasoned" as myself.....I just expect mgt. to recognize that it is happening and "truly appreciate" my effort......In fact that WAS how my very 1st ft. supervisor treated me....I started as loader @ nite and was often sent around to help others with their loads, one nite @ the end of an extremely busy sort he put his arm on my shoulder and he said "thank you", told me how hard we actually got slammed (#'s), asked me if I wanted a soda, and told me he was doing what he could on his end to make things go smoother.....his HONESTY abt. the situation was all I needed......I don't expect much, but sincerity abt. difficult situations works better than BSing abt. it...."give it to me straight doc..." that's all I ask for...I don't buy into the MGT/union divide...we're all here for the same reasons, to feed our families, etc.... BTW it's not "what I would like....etc." that matters, it's what was MUTUALLY AGREED to in the NMA.......

diadlover

Stoavio,
I woudn't worry about the bickering anymore. Teamsterdan pretty much kicked 20_smoke's ass. Hey Teamsterdan, once they start picking on your spelling you pretty much won. It's pretty funny when all they can do is turn into "spelling nazis".

Listen to Stoavio and keep his thread on topic. BTW Stoavio, I still feel that you will quit before your 30 days. Why? I'll tell you when you either quit or when you hit seniority. Don't lie either and don't disappear. Let us know.

-Pylon

P.S. winny + deca + UPS = Hercules

stoavio

diadlover said:
Stoavio,
Don't lie either and don't disappear. Let us know.

-Pylon

P.S. winny + deca + UPS = Hercules

Sure thing. I plan on updating this thread. It's my own little area to rant about work and ask questions. I'll let you know if I leave.

For now, what about the CamelBak idea? Would it be allowed? Is it lame/dorky? What do you guys think?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a Camelbak that I use when I go backpacking, it is great for that. If you fill it with water and put it in the freezer upside down you can have ice, unfortunately it melts in a couple of hours. You have to leave a little airspace at the top around the fitting where the hose goes into the bag so the ice doesn't break it. I carry three Nalgene bottles to work in an insulated soft lunch box myself, I buy Gatorade premix, fill them with ice cubes, and freeze them overnight. Just don't fill them up all the way, leave about a half inch below where the neck of the bottle starts so that the ice doesn't break the ten dollar bottle. I have ice all day in this hot weather. Personally, I wouldn't wear a Camelbak to work, especially to save time while loading. I started out as a loader myself on the Midnight Sort over three decades ago.

aspenleaf

stoavio said:
It's really cool to hear that. I'm about 15lbs overweight right now and hope to see the weight start coming off.

On a separate note. I was thinking about purchasing a CamelBak Hydration Pack so that I'll never have to stop and grab my water bottle or run over to the drinking fountain. I'm sure I can find one for $20.00-$30.00. I'll be sure to find one that's steamlined, small, and fits closely to my body so as not to create a potential safety hazard e.g.(hanging straps, or unnecssary cargo space). I just want the smallest one I can find. I can see this being something that increases my overall productivity by allowing me to spend more time working by not taking *any* water breaks, and because I'll always be hydrated. Here's an example of what I have in mind:

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/friend/1472/124/4h/img.ebags.com/is/image/im5/64575_3_1?&op_sharpen=1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

Do you think my supervisor will have a problem with me wearing one?

Save your money, take your water breaks! A newbie next to me had one of those hydration systems and even the streamlined ones become a burden and get in the way and it really makes your back hot. If you want to save time get a sports bottle so you can just squirt the water and not have to mess with a lid.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
aspenleaf said:
If you want to save time get a sports bottle so you can just squirt the water and not have to mess with a lid.
Soud to me asenleaf like you will be in the world olympics of loading package cars.....LOL!!!!

aspenleaf

Sure toonertoo ~ I have a team of water people standing by (they work for cheaper wages than me)! I just run by and they squirt water at me. :tongue_sm

Just for the record I am not that fast at loading so I would not make the loading team. Not unless I pull a Harding to take someone out! :wink:

stoavio

Ok, so the CamelBak idea is a no-go. I'll just continue bringing water bottles into work.

I'm looking forward to work tomorrow. I'm not really in any pain more.

C

Calif. driver

aspenleaf said:
I am a preloader so we do have a quota. . .but it seems there are numbers to just about everything at UPS. Just do what you were trained to do and be safe!

I was wondering... where your at.... do you guys still load with a load diagram chart? Or do you load using the new "PAL" system? "PAL" stands for preload assisting load...

Thanks

E

enuff already

just go do the job, man. drink water, learn the methods to loading a trailer and stfu. just do it. these flakes got nothing to say here, go make a friend and ask your sup or someone working next to you.

aspenleaf

Calif. driver said:
I was wondering... where your at.... do you guys still load with a load diagram chart? Or do you load using the new "PAL" system? "PAL" stands for preload assisting load...

Thanks

I am in CO and yes we have PAL.

stoavio

Just wanted to post back with an update. Right now they've got me on a call in basis which is a real pain in the ass. I have to call at 4:30PM everyday and speak to my sup. He'll let me know if they've had a call-in and if not, he'll tell me to call back by 6:00PM. I have to do this everyday. There have been a few times (2 or 3 at the max) that they've had me come in on the second call but usually they tell me they're all set for the night. So far I've worked about 18 hours since I started on July 17th and made $90.00. My first check was for like $63.50 and my second check was closer to $70.00 but they took $36.00 out in union dues. I didn't think I was apart of the union yet because I'm still a seasonal employee? Isn't that how it works?

Anyway, I haven't worked since last Thursday but have called in 2 times a day everyday last week. Is this how all locations do it or am I getting dicked around? I'm wondering why they hired me since it appears they really don't need me except for on days when someone calls in sick.

ducky13swing

stavio-I have just read all of your comments, but not many of the replies, because it did get way off track.
Your camel back idea is a good one, we have several people here who wear them. For you, do not do it yet. You will need the little time you get to relax when you get your water bottle and take a drink. Maybe by peak season you would be OK to have your camel back.
Your supervisor is really hurting you by not letting you work everyday. The more time you spend away from doing the job, the more pain you will be in when you return. You also will not be able to get up to the desired speed they want because you can't practice (unless you have a truck and a yard full of boxes).
As for the pre-existing back injury and asthma. Well, maybe you should re-evaluate whether this is the right job for you. Those are perhaps the worst two ailments you can have when doing this kind of job.
As for the union dues, they will take anything they can get. Talk to your supervisor. You should be able to get that back. You are not union until you reach seniority. Seniority is 30 days worked. In your first 30 days you can be released (disqualified) for any reason and the union will not represent you. At the rate you are working, you may not even make seniority. If you were hired as seasonal, you probably will not make seniority at all. So the union has taken your money for no reason. No seasonal employee is represented by the union and dues should not be collected from seasonal employees. So you are either a regular P/T employee entitled to the same as all other regular employees, or you are seasonal, you can not be both. Get your money back and break your ties with the union if you can.

crzy4trucks

AM Preloader
From my experience when I first started, I remember thinking I broke my back it hurt so bad. Your back muscles will hurt for about three weeks until you get used to the work. Anyone can do it, it just takes getting used to. Bring LOTS of water, ice water, if you work in a hot area. Unloading is mindless drone work, loading is like the game of Tetris. Some people have an eye for it others don't. Good luck. Report back.
Only reason your back would hurt is if you lifted with your back instead of your legs... my back has never hurt...
Just do the proper techniques that they have showed you and youll do fine.