hey veterans, is it worth it staying at UPS?

curiousbrain

NO! I was hired in 2006, for an Air Driver Job, Thinking they would make me Full-time. I wasted 4yrs, when I could of been going to school, which i'm now. UPS laid off 50 air drivers on XMAS eve, without notice. http://teamsterslocal804.org/story/rat-attack-maspeth-building While working there, they would shave my hours and alot of my coworkers Hours, and also threaten us to work grounds, or we would only work 3.5 hours a day instead of 5 hours. June of 09 they demoted all the air drivers to preload but we kept our 22.45 an hour, then they moved us from that to picking up airs at night, then Back to Preload, then when peak came in 2010, they laid us off for a month then, they decided to call us back in Nov 10 to again lay us off permanently in Dec 24, 2010. It's not only us but clerks and other positions are getting eliminated.

Out of morbid curiosity: you were part time for four years, and in all that time you didn't go to school?

siredline09

Sorry. I couldn't, I lived in Upstate 90 miles away, and took me 6 hours total, from work and back to commute too NYC 43rd st. I had to take my car to the train station, then take the railroad, then take a bus. I had no Extra time.

curiousbrain

Assuming I understand you correctly - you had a 90 mile, six hour commute each day?

Assuming you were on a highway that permitted 65mph, you could do the distance in about 1 hour and 24 minutes (rounded up); assuming you had to take side roads, that should at least give you 36 minutes to cover that distance and still clock in at under an hour under three. I'm not defending UPS' actions for shaving your hours or any of that, I'm just trying to figure this out.

Also, if my assumptions are correct (and they may not be, considering what they say about assumptions), why would you keep the job when you had to travel so far - for four years?

I only used the car example because I can't figure out (perhaps due to my own lack of understanding) why you would transfer to two separate modes of transportation; gas prices?

Last edited by a moderator:

siredline09

Dude, Do the math yourself. Stop getting on people's Nerves. THANK YOU!
Assuming I understand you correctly - you had a 90 mile, six hour commute each day?

Assuming you were on a highway that permitted 65mph, you could do the distance in about 1 hour and 24 minutes (rounded up); assuming you had to take side roads, that should at least give you 36 minutes to cover that distance and still clock in at under an hour under three. I'm not defending UPS' actions for shaving your hours or any of that, I'm just trying to figure this out.

Also, if my assumptions are correct (and they may not be, considering what they say about assumptions), why would you keep the job when you had to travel so far - for four years?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Grow up and join the real world. This is a job, that if you even do halfway right, will be here for the rest of your life. You have done the hard part, you are on the inside looking out. Now suck it up, and stay for a while. Their will be other trips to help spread the word.
I sorta understand what he is saying, but know this. Once your usefullness to UPS has passed, you will be forgotten and gone. I have heard it compared to a used condom, used kotex, what ever. Within months, it will be like you never existed at UPS or your center. Once you no longer are able to supply UPS with what it needs from you, you will be kicked to the curb. You might or might not get a cake and parting gift, or a watch with the UPS emblem.

On the other hand, spreading the word has it's rewards as well. But you dont have to go to madrid to do it. Go sight seeing. The largest area in the world for the person wanting to do mission work is right here in the USA.

But it seems that everyone thinks the grass on the other side of the fence is where they are called to. BUt it is no different than the grass on this side of the fence.

Best to you!

d

UPSGUY72

I have only been working at UPS for about a month now and there is nothing wrong with moving boxes, it's actually fun.

After 1 year, we get dental and health benefits. I am 20 years old. Is it really worth it to stay?

With UPS's super rigid schedule, I feel like I lost my freedom having to wake up at 3am just to get to work and working 5 days a week.

It sucks because I have a youth group going to Madrid for 2 weeks in the summer and I can't go because of this job. If I stay here long term, I will be expecting only 2 weeks of vacation a year. Holy crap, that is hard to imagine... Do you guys think it's really worth it or not?

No matter what job you have you are going to have to make sacrifices. If you want the freedom to do what you want when you want to than become your own boss or hit the lottery.

Here is your problem your young and working alot of your friends your age are in college not working and mom and dad are paying there bills. So they can what they want when they want. You want to be like them but can't becasue you have a JOB.

You will get more than two weeks of vacation in time. Some of the drivesr in my building get 6 weeks.

Remember if you choose to leave you most likey will be put on a no rehire list and not be able to reapply for a job with UPS in the future.

klein

Für Meno :)
While I don't necessarily agree completely with paul's assessment, I would imagine there is some truth in there. As to your (HelloWorld) response, I've already thought of a rudimentary way to eliminate the loaders job (which includes my own). If the boxes/labels/something had a short-range RFID (or similar technology) chip in it that could provide information about the 'footprint' of the box (truck number, route number, zip code, name of sender/recipient, etc), it would then only be a matter of prototyping a system that could sort the boxes and get them into the right trucks.

As to the sorting of the boxes, the obvious possibility (to me, anyway) is a single conveyor with single file boxes on it, with a spiders web of chutes underneath the conveyor leading into the trucks. Getting them onto the right shelves might involve some human effort, but certainly less then it does now. While obvious, this is wildly ineffecient (to much physical materials) and a more efficient solution certainly exists.

Another somewhat less probable solution would be to have automated "pushers" attached to the center of the conveyor that would push the boxes into the right truck(s). Or, anything, really. Point being, if a doofus such as myself can think up vaguely probable solutions to eliminating a loaders job, I'm willing to bet there are others out there who can do much better at less cost.

On an unrelated note, does your name possibly come from the first program traditionally written when learning a programming language?

Kind of like DHL in Germany as seen below (sorry, it's in German, but you'll get the idea anyways)

Dropping off a package at 1 of serveral package stations :
[video=youtube;MTTlC4ZVAYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTTlC4ZVAYE[/video]

Picking up a package at a Package Station (7 day/24 hr service) :
[video=youtube;HulxZNPv6EI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HulxZNPv6EI[/video]

And Everything inbetween: (from ebay seller to the buyer)
In short, it explains that the DHL center has a big scanner tunnel, reads the labels, decides on which belts the package needs to move within 32 isles of the center, covering up to 12km (over 7 miles) of coveyors until the package arrives to the designated truck lot.

If the scanner can't read the label, it's automatically sent to the computer room, where employees manully read and do correction off site, which it turn will move the package remotely onto the conveyors.
[video=youtube;qfxKSD0w3v8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxKSD0w3v8[/video]

curiousbrain

Kind of like DHL in Germany as seen below (sorry, it's in German, but you'll get the idea anyways)

[...]

In short, it explains that the DHL center has a big scanner tunnel, reads the labels, decides on which belts the package needs to move within 32 isles of the center, covering up to 12km (over 7 miles) of coveyors until the package arrives to the designated truck lot.

If the scanner can't read the label, it's automatically sent to the computer room, where employees manully read and do correction off site, which it turn will move the package remotely onto the conveyors.

Yes; exactly like that.

bluehdmc

QUOTE]

Yes; exactly like that.

I thought Worldport's system is similar. The baggage handling system at Denver's airport is also similar.

Probably one of the reason's UPS hasn't rolled these systems out to the hubs is the cost of retooling/rebuilding the system in the hub. How do you install one of these systems in a hub and keep the operations going while installing the system?

These type of systems can eliminate a lot of sorters jobs. You just need people to unload and load the trucks.

klein

Für Meno :)
Easy, you just rent warehouse space for a month or 2, like we did here, until the new buliding was built.
But ofcourse, nothing like Germany.. same old, same old, 1 electric power driven belt in the middle. (the UPS way).
In the rental space, all we had for a belt, were those portable roller stands.
We had to manually push the packages down those rollers , but that wasn't hard at all.
The trucks were lined up, just as if it was a normal belt.

unhappyday

Grow up and join the real world. This is a job, that if you even do halfway right, will be here for the rest of your life. You have done the hard part, you are on the inside looking out. Now suck it up, and stay for a while. Their will be other trips to help spread the word.

I sorta understand what he is saying, but know this. Once your usefullness to UPS has passed, you will be forgotten and gone. I have heard it compared to a used condom, used kotex, what ever. Within months, it will be like you never existed at UPS or your center. Once you no longer are able to supply UPS with what it needs from you, you will be kicked to the curb. You might or might not get a cake and parting gift, or a watch with the UPS emblem.

On the other hand, spreading the word has it's rewards as well. But you dont have to go to madrid to do it. Go sight seeing. The largest area in the world for the person wanting to do mission work is right here in the USA.

But it seems that everyone thinks the grass on the other side of the fence is where they are called to. BUt it is no different than the grass on this side of the fence.

Best to you!

d
No matter what job you have you are going to have to make sacrifices. If you want the freedom to do what you want when you want to than become your own boss or hit the lottery.

Here is your problem your young and working alot of your friends your age are in college not working and mom and dad are paying there bills. So they can what they want when they want. You want to be like them but can't becasue you have a JOB.

You will get more than two weeks of vacation in time. Some of the drivesr in my building get 6 weeks.

Remember if you choose to leave you most likey will be put on a no rehire list and not be able to reapply for a job with UPS in the future.

thanks for the word guys, you are really giving me a second thought about this. i just feel really constrained, it's like if i stay with the job i can never do anything outside of state because i always have to make sure to show up the next morning.

for example, i am doing amateur boxing and college wrestling. what happens when i have a fight out of state like in vegas or something. i will never have a chance to do anything like that again. i won't be able to go on road trips, maybe visit cali for a week, visit some convention somewhere.

sorry if i sound like i am whining, that's cause i probably am. i honestly love the job because i get exercise while working, i don't have to suck up to customers, i am surrounded by hard-working people and that's the kind of people that i like, and there is not much active thinking i have to do. there's also good benefits and the chance to become a high paid driver. it's just that the schedule is so rigid and not like other jobs i have where i can request days off for a certain week or whatever.

i am gonna think really hard about this and ill try and update ya. i don't want to quit either because then my team will just think i am a quitter

thanks for the word guys, you are really giving me a second thought about this. i just feel really constrained, it's like if i stay with the job i can never do anything outside of state because i always have to make sure to show up the next morning.

for example, i am doing amateur boxing and college wrestling. what happens when i have a fight out of state like in vegas or something. i will never have a chance to do anything like that again. i won't be able to go on road trips, maybe visit cali for a week, visit some convention somewhere.

sorry if i sound like i am whining, that's cause i probably am. i honestly love the job because i get exercise while working, i don't have to suck up to customers, i am surrounded by hard-working people and that's the kind of people that i like, and there is not much active thinking i have to do. there's also good benefits and the chance to become a high paid driver. it's just that the schedule is so rigid and not like other jobs i have where i can request days off for a certain week or whatever.

i am gonna think really hard about this and ill try and update ya. i don't want to quit either because then my team will just think i am a quitter
This kind of thing happens when your an adult you have to take the good with the bad.

kmjs14

Don't concern yourself with what your team will think and worry more about how this decision will affect your life 5-10 years down the line. The job market is horrible and not getting better anytime soon. Traveling is great but priorities must be met first (at least in my world).

UPSGUY72

Well good luck with what ever you choose.

Someday down the road when you grow up you'll find out that when you have a job you have to plan your life around it. That is how things work I realize your young and think that everything revoles around your personal schedule but the real world doesn't work that way unless you weathly and don't have to work or mom and dad are still paying your way.

seeker

I walked right out of high school and started working at UPS. I worked too many part-time years, now 35 years later I really wish I had some skills to go somewhere else. I don't know when I can retire. I feel too old to be working like this. UPS is hard on older employees. I feel trapped. It's really sad the way UPS treats its' employees.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Let me add a few other thoughts.

Just because you decide to stay at UPS does not mean the need to make choices will stop. They wont. Both in your personal life, and your work life. And what path you choose will have blessings and faults all its own.

Many years ago, when UPS started in Germany, I was offered a chance to go. I was born there, and have the rights to dual citizenship. After several weeks of debate with my wife, we decided that we would stay here. While the job there would have been OK, and the resulting potential for promotion good, we stayed here.

That choice had an unintended blessing within a few years. My wife and I were never able to have children, so we were able to adopt a child. And a few years later another. And we fostered quite a few more as well. All these blessings would have been missed out on, and I would not trade any one of them for 100% of all the shares of UPS stock. What blessings did I miss out on by not going to Germany? Dont know. But I am content with the choices I made.

Bottom line is to find contentment where ever you decide to go or do. Everyone around is always wanting more, having better, and that is human nature. But true peace is to find contentment with your life.

Do what you enjoy doing, and you will never HAVE to go to work. I have retired and started my own business. I would let it run me, but I have learned to run it. I could do a ton of work and mass produce to where I make more money, but instead I focus on the jobs I really want, those that challenge me. I might not make as much, but I really enjoy what I do. And each one is a work of art, different than any of the others in some way. Heck, some days, I work longer hours than I did at UPS. But time flies when you enjoy what you do.

Over all, I believe I made a series of good choices that have allowed me to be where I am today, with the family I love, doing what I enjoy.

Good luck

d

siredline09

Good for you, we need more people like you.

Let me add a few other thoughts.

Just because you decide to stay at UPS does not mean the need to make choices will stop. They wont. Both in your personal life, and your work life. And what path you choose will have blessings and faults all its own.

Many years ago, when UPS started in Germany, I was offered a chance to go. I was born there, and have the rights to dual citizenship. After several weeks of debate with my wife, we decided that we would stay here. While the job there would have been OK, and the resulting potential for promotion good, we stayed here.

That choice had an unintended blessing within a few years. My wife and I were never able to have children, so we were able to adopt a child. And a few years later another. And we fostered quite a few more as well. All these blessings would have been missed out on, and I would not trade any one of them for 100% of all the shares of UPS stock. What blessings did I miss out on by not going to Germany? Dont know. But I am content with the choices I made.

Bottom line is to find contentment where ever you decide to go or do. Everyone around is always wanting more, having better, and that is human nature. But true peace is to find contentment with your life.

Do what you enjoy doing, and you will never HAVE to go to work. I have retired and started my own business. I would let it run me, but I have learned to run it. I could do a ton of work and mass produce to where I make more money, but instead I focus on the jobs I really want, those that challenge me. I might not make as much, but I really enjoy what I do. And each one is a work of art, different than any of the others in some way. Heck, some days, I work longer hours than I did at UPS. But time flies when you enjoy what you do.

Over all, I believe I made a series of good choices that have allowed me to be where I am today, with the family I love, doing what I enjoy.

Good luck

d