Higher Expectations for Ground Employees

bbsam

Staff member
There 'ya go! A Ground driver forged my signature on a ISR package about 3 years ago even though I was home at the time. Seems like the fool couldn't wait 5 more seconds for me to come to the door. I called the Ground terminal and complained and I get this "Oh he shouldn't be doing that" reply and the excuse that he's an independent contractor BS. He still has his job by the way.
That's your own fault. If you really want to jam the guy, ya gotta call customer service. Otherwise it gets swept under the rug, probably much like it woulg if I called the local Express station.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's your own fault. If you really want to jam the guy, ya gotta call customer service. Otherwise it gets swept under the rug, probably much like it woulg if I called the local Express station.
Sure, I'll bet your ground station would just ignore any complaint call from customer service too. As far as Express goes, your wrong.

STFXG

Once it's called it to customer service the station manager either seems it legit or not. Since our bonuses are taken away for complaints management almost never lets them go. We get nailed for anything called in. Not terminated (unless it's forgery) but its a big hit financially.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bbsam is right---phone calls directly to the center/station/depot are handled internally, don't create a paper trail and are more often than not swept under the rug. Phone calls to the respective toll free number do create a paper trail and with UPS require a phone call to the consignee within one hour of receipt of the complaint.

I received a concern yesterday for not leaving a delivery notice for a delivery that I attempted and then had to indirect. The consignee was closed for lunch until 2 pm (who goes to lunch until 2?) so I left a notice and indirected their pkg. I placed the notice right next to their "closed for lunch until 2pm" sign. I couldn't sheet the pkg as closed or scan the delivery notice as it was between noon and 1. When the OMS sent me the message I told her I left the notice right by the sign and gave her enough detail to prove that I made the attempt and left the notice.

dvalleyjim

What senior manger wants a contractor to walk out and leave 5 full trucks sitting on the dock with nobody to drive them? How does that senior manager answer Pittsburgh?

How do they cover your 5 trucks when the great bbsam walks out? Easy, they rent 5 trucks and hire your drivers as temps. Meanwhile the vultures start circling your routes and there is a fire sale to the highest bidder, if they let you sell. Your just not that special.

Now if you and say a few other ISP's were to walk out, that would have a temporary impact but they would eventually weed you out.

Remember, there are always other contractors ready to take your stuff.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You called in a complaint? Wanted to get him fired? Wow, nice guy.
Nice twisting of words there Jimbob. First of all I don't have to tolerate forgery. Secondly I wasn't out to get him fired. I was surprised he still has his job since his signing for customer packages seems to be habitual. You're acting like no one's ever called in a complaint about Ground before. Wake up!

bbsam

Staff member
How do they cover your 5 trucks when the great bbsam walks out? Easy, they rent 5 trucks and hire your drivers as temps. Meanwhile the vultures start circling your routes and there is a fire sale to the highest bidder, if they let you sell. Your just not that special.

Now if you and say a few other ISP's were to walk out, that would have a temporary impact but they would eventually weed you out.

Remember, there are always other contractors ready to take your stuff.

You never read your contract, did you? I have to fail miserably for 5 days before that can happen. Maybe I even decide to have a couple drivers run some bulk out. Keep the numbers just outside their ability to do anything. No, I'm not special at all. It's a common provision in the contract. It simply behooves both sides to do the best they can to get along. Oh, and to terminate a contract requires thee company to give 30 days notice.

bbsam

Staff member
I knew my contract in and out and had to remind management constantly that I was an independent corporate enity. Tell you what. Go ahead and try what your saying and we'll see who's right. Ha Ha Ha!

Why would I? In the end, I would lose. But Fedex doesn't exactly want the disruption either. And if you "knew your contract in and out", you know that what I have posted is 100% true.

STFXG

I know guys who have shut down supplementals and ran horrible service for a couple days in an attempt to show they need the area contracted. They never lose their routes for the act, but they put a big target on their backs and usually don't stay around much longer...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I knew my contract in and out and had to remind management constantly that I was an independent corporate enity. Tell you what. Go ahead and try what your saying and we'll see who's right. Ha Ha Ha!

bbsam. Doesn't this contradict your claim of "independence" on the part of the contractors? It kind of sounds like the FedEx types run the show, doesn't it?

HomeDelivery

they do have some independence, for example, where to go to maintain their vehicles & how to pay their employees...

but as far as the other operations of driver release & doortags, then it's up to them to follow what the contractor has signed up with FedEx for upholding their end of the bargain...

some drivers of this one contractor i was cover-driving for wasn't using doortags. I recently have to follow-up on a disputed claim & since he did use doortags, the contractor is cleared from paying for it. I did brought it up to him to have a quick meeting about using those post-it notes... & how he'll be paying for any future claims if his other drivers aren't going to be using them.

those drivers all say it's just a waste of time. hence why i want them to implement the scanner camera for DR stops already.