Hired as a seasonal day sorter... tips?

RandomDrone

I just completed the classroom part of training and everything went well. Tomorrow is the first day where I actually have to start loading. A couple of questions... I understand the physical demands of the jobs (I was a jumper a few years ago), mainly I want to know what my odds are of surviving the post peak season cuts. I already plan to try the obvious, such as getting there early, volunteering for extra shifts, and other things that might set you out when they are deciding who to cut come January, but considering how..... corporate everyone at the facility has been is there anything I should know that will help me stand out? Also other general tips would be appreciated as well because I think the corporate filter that the trainers, interviewers, etc use misses a lot of things.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I just completed the classroom part of training and everything went well. Tomorrow is the first day where I actually have to start loading. A couple of questions... I understand the physical demands of the jobs (I was a jumper a few years ago), mainly I want to know what my odds are of surviving the post peak season cuts. I already plan to try the obvious, such as getting there early, volunteering for extra shifts, and other things that might set you out when they are deciding who to cut come January, but considering how..... corporate everyone at the facility has been is there anything I should know that will help me stand out? Also other general tips would be appreciated as well because I think the corporate filter that the trainers, interviewers, etc use misses a lot of things.
appear eager to work, work as directed and keep your mouth shut.....not much else you can do.

RandomDrone

appear eager to work, work as directed and keep your mouth shut.....not much else you can do.
That sort of dodges the question though... how many of the seasonal hires do they keep around? I understand that it varies a bunch from hub to hub but a general idea would be nice in order to plan out how I'm going to pay the bills after peak season is over.

RandomDrone

Thanks... I suspected that but they kept hammering in the fact that if you do well you might get hired on year round because of churn in employees and the fact that it makes more sense to keep people around instead of wasting money training new ones. I understand that I'm the lowest cog in a machine based on efficiency but I wish they would just be a little more honest.

J

jibbs

That sort of dodges the question though... how many of the seasonal hires do they keep around? I understand that it varies a bunch from hub to hub but a general idea would be nice in order to plan out how I'm going to pay the bills after peak season is over.

I'd say, generally, 0 to 20, maybe 30 (for larger hubs) seasonal workers from hub-to-hub, center-to-center will be offered permanent employment at some point following their seasonal employment.

Like you said, it varies widely and the more prominent determining factors would be the volume forecasted for a center and how many hands they have on the payroll to deal with the volume. This is the kind of center-/hub-specific question that none of us here can likely answer with any certainty at this point.

texan

lmao....they're called boobs, sir!..... No, I keep my job the same way you keep yours, Gumby....we both may be loud-mouthed and opinionated...but we do our damn jobs well...lol.

You may not believe this, as I attempt to share my Faith at times......

I also am known as one at work, who shares REALITY, or not the politically
correct answer.

22 years US Army Enlisted Senior NCO. NCO means Non-Commissioned Officer.

Like Jethro Gibbs, of NCIS. (I know he not real, but he best reflects an NCO that is strait-forward)

He was enlisted in the Marines (the charterer, I know he is not real), and was an NCO.

I can not always sugar coat, what the Officers (my Army background) or some Management
wants to hear.

But I am, as much as possible, respectful to them.

An honest, from my point of view, assessment.

Not an always the glass is half full, but an honest answer, to a status.

Not better than others, just, I guess, I can be, a pain. Sorry

At 57, it is hard to change!

Lord, help me to change, and be more like you!

barnyard

KTM rider
There is absolutely no way any of us can predict whether you will be kept on after peak. None of us know the staffing at your building or the turnover of regular people. It is really one of the dumber questions asked here.

At my building 1 or 2 seasonals might be kept, but they will be laid off till March or April and called back once vacations start or someone quits.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You may not believe this, as I attempt to share my Faith at times......

I also am known as one at work, who shares REALITY, or not the politically
correct answer.

22 years US Army Enlisted Senior NCO. NCO means Non-Commissioned Officer.

Like Jethro Gibbs, of NCIS. (I know he not real, but he best reflects an NCO that is strait-forward)

He was enlisted in the Marines (the charterer, I know he is not real), and was an NCO.

I can not always sugar coat, what the Officers (my Army background) or some Management
wants to hear.

But I am, as much as possible, respectful to them.

An honest, from my point of view, assessment.

Not an always the glass is half full, but an honest answer, to a status.

Not better than others, just, I guess, I can be, a pain. Sorry

At 57, it is hard to change!

Lord, help me to change, and be more like you!

lol good grief, Texan.....one of me is more than enough! More than one....reality will skew and the earth may tilt off its axis....it's a scary thought!......lmao.

RandomDrone

There is absolutely no way any of us can predict whether you will be kept on after peak. None of us know the staffing at your building or the turnover of regular people. It is really one of the dumber questions asked here
I figured as much but since I doubt I'd get a real answer out of asking someone above me at my facility I figured trying to gauge the general trends from people here was worth a shot.

working up a sweat

The truth hurts. They hire about 50 seasonal here for all 3 shifts and they will only keep only 5, in a good year. Show up on time every night and be positive. Call in sick 1 time or be late will eliminate you.