Hired as a Seasonal Helper in Massachusetts

new_upserMA

I am starting this week as a Seasonal Helper making a whole $9.50 an hour. I am 39 and goto the gym regularly and do Muay Thai & Boxing so I know I can do this job.. I will be working in the Marlborough area of Massachusetts which is about 20 miles outside of Boston mostly surburban so most packages can probably be driver released so easier than a city route.
Assuming I do great and kick ass during this period (which ends on Dec 24) how easy it is to get hired as a PT or FT Package Handler -- the jobs that they advertise $18.75 an hour with full benefits.. My driving record isnt that great.. Had a few minor accidents this year but hopefully in 2016 I would be able to qualify to be a driver...
Am I being overly optimistic ?? Is your name just put on a list and you never hear from them again after the holidays are over?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
As far as i know driver helpers are not put on a list for any future employment. You have to re apply at upsjobs.com

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Wait.......

Any moment Dave will be here to tell us how many helpers he got hired.

Seriously, though, in my center, helpers that received a good recommendation from their driver would go to the top of the list for PT hiring.

Good luck.

Last edited:

new_upserMA

As far as i know driver helpers are not put on a list for any future employment. You have to re apply at upsjobs.com

I know that but a good recommendation and given rehire status would help. Besides the economy in Massachusetts is pretty good and its hard to find people especially outside the greater Boston 95\128 area so there must be lots of open positions.

upschuck

All seasonal have to re-apply. When I did seasonal, I signed my post dated termination papers before I worked a day.

Fedex Guy

I am starting this week as a Seasonal Helper making a whole $9.50 an hour. I am 39 and goto the gym regularly and do Muay Thai & Boxing so I know I can do this job.. I will be working in the Marlborough area of Massachusetts which is about 20 miles outside of Boston mostly surburban so most packages can probably be driver released so easier than a city route.
Assuming I do great and kick ass during this period (which ends on Dec 24) how easy it is to get hired as a PT or FT Package Handler -- the jobs that they advertise $18.75 an hour with full benefits.. My driving record isnt that great.. Had a few minor accidents this year but hopefully in 2016 I would be able to qualify to be a driver...
Am I being overly optimistic ?? Is your name just put on a list and you never hear from them again after the holidays are over?
It's either 2 or 3 years with no tickets before you can even try to qualify to be a driver.

If only there were a posted sticky at the top of this forum for new hires to read.

Boy that sure would answer a lot of questions.
caf8b317-70a5-4812-b9ec-6992ea32271d.png

You've Got Mail

It's either 2 or 3 years with no tickets before you can even try to qualify to be a driver.

12 months.

Best thing to do as a casual is to show them that you're serious about the job, that you seem to enjoy it, that you want it. They'll take it from there.

Last edited:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

Ask your FT sup if they have any seasonal insider openings. We have a few guys that are helpers and insiders. They're working hard. If they keep it up they'll for sure have a job after peak.

new_upserMA

Job seems pretty easy. Driver seems cool, I helped him sort the packages. He scanned all of them and I just ran them to the front door or front of garage.
I want to get a regular job with UPS after this seasonal helper period. If I am quick, show up on time, don't show up stinking of alcohol and am quick with deliveries then I should get hired quickly right I should think..

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
you will make it, no problem... the job is easy. plus you can do Muay Thai & Boxing which comes in handy when delivering parcels / driving pkg cars.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Or when a supe throws a map book at him & tells him to be safe and not hit anything... blind on a cut car with 200 stops in 4 zip codes

new_upserMA

I haven't been taught to scan anything yet with those 'diads'? that they are called. the driver stops I get out (have to hold that railing) , he hands me package and tells me where to deliver it, then I walk fast or run back to the truck...
Like I said, my goal is to make it past seasonal helper and get hired after the holiday.. I don't think I can become a driver for about a year or two because of my not so great driving record

platinum9898

Listen man, just have faith, bust a $$ and keep a good attitude. The driver will notice and talk well about you. Ask him who you can talk to about a job after peak...talk to the HR person who hired you, let them know you want a job and potential career here. UPS isn't hiring like they used to 5-10 years ago so your best chance is to get your name on that "potential" hire list. They see your work ethic just let people know you want a job. After this season go online and apply again for part time package handler. All you need is 1 year clean driving record and minimum 2 year wait until you get your chance to drive. It's a grind to start here but pays off well. Good luck to you bro!

new_upserMA

So this morning ( day before thanksgiving), the Helper coordinator who assigns the routes told me that it was too 'light today' and I wasn't needed.. I said during orientation I wasn't available during Black Friday but she said she would let me know Friday if she had a route that needed help Monday.. Is that a polite way of saying, sorry but you didn't work out?? I banged out 190 packages I think with the driver yesterday in 5 hours and it seemed to work out well. I can't imagine what happened.

PT Car Washer

That sounds really great 190 pieces. You only work when you are needed. I always tell people to go for the package handler jobs. Driver helper job is the pits.