Hired on Sept 15 supposedly not seasonal at the time

DocP

I've now been "laid off until further notice". They'll supposedly call me if they need more people. I was not told this by a supervisor nor my manager, but by some other higher up. Maybe he's the HR guy? He insisted I was hired as seasonal help when telling me all this.

It seems I was told a lot of lies during the initial hiring. That I would be a permanent employee and specifically NOT seasonal, and that after a year along with the medical benefits, I would be able to get tuition reimbursement which is only for supervisors at that hub. That the probation period was 90 days. They never told us about any of this "free period" crap.

Is this all the norm for UPS? I paid the union initiation fee and dues so that I would lose my job after being told it was permanent? This is plain robbery.

Is there anything I should do? I assume I don't have any union representation at this point?

I was a good worker, I'd say. By the later half of my employment I was doing my 300 and sometimes 350 an hour loading. My supervisor told me at one point that I was in the top 10 for loading speed for the hub. Do I have an actual chance of being rehired? The guy that fired me had said "No you're being laid off until we need more work then we might call you" when I had said "Oh, so I'm being fired??" I was never late, and never called in.

This just comes as a big shock, thinking I was permanent and thinking I was going through my probation time all this time and then suddenly being fired.

Thank you, everyone.

Indecisi0n

Our season months start in October so even if you were planning to be hired as FT your hire time would have ran into the season period which doesn't count towards FT.

T

Turdferguson

If you paid union dues and a initiation fees then you are in the union. Call and ask out at your local union hall.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't forget to get a withdraw card if you expect the lay off to last a while otherwise you will owe back dues.
If he really make book and is in the union (which i doubt....30 calendar days till Oct 15th seems tight) but if he is...and he's laid off....they have to call him back before they start using a new hire in a month or so when volume picks up...correct?

DocP

Ok so I looked at my paychecks and they didn't take any init fee out until my third paycheck, the period from 9/28 to 10/04. They took out 25 init, and 47 for union due. My last check, they only took out 10 for the initiation fee, and my total paid inits is $235. Total paid union dues is $141. Plain robbery if you ask me, but what do I know.

I don't know if that means anything as to whether or not I'm in the union. Is there a way to see the exact date I started? I started sometime in the week of 12/14 to 12/20 That was during the video watching week, and I got 6.87 hours from it. Come to think of it, they pushed back dates a couple of times for me. By just a week or 2. Very clearly now, this was so they could get rid of me easily once peak is over. What a rotten lying company. Even if I started on the 16th, that's 28 or 29 days, so I guess I'm out of luck, unless this company of lies decides to call me back for more work when volume picks up.

I just need to print the withdraw card and mail it somewhere right? Do I mail it to a place local in my town? Or some global headquarters place? I don't see an address on the teamster website listed.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

NickyNik

If he really make book and is in the union (which i doubt....30 calendar days till Oct 15th seems tight) but if he is...and he's laid off....they have to call him back before they start using a new hire in a month or so when volume picks up...correct?
May depend on where he is located. I know in our Hub you were allowed to make book after the 15th as long as you were hired before the 15th. Everybody in our building that was hired October 13th and before was considered permanent.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ok so I looked at my paychecks and they didn't take any init fee out until my third paycheck, the period from 9/28 to 10/04. They took out 25 init, and 47 for union due. My last check, they only took out 10 for the initiation fee, and my total paid inits is $235. Total paid union dues is $141. Plain robbery if you ask me, but what do I know.

I don't know if that means anything as to whether or not I'm in the union. Is there a way to see the exact date I started? I started sometime in the week of 12/14 to 12/20 That was during the video watching week, and I got 6.87 hours from it. Come to think of it, they pushed back dates a couple of times for me. By just a week or 2. Very clearly now, this was so they could get rid of me easily once peak is over. What a rotten lying company. Even if I started on the 16th, that's 28 or 29 days, so I guess I'm out of luck, unless this company of lies decides to call me back for more work when volume picks up.

I just need to print the withdraw card and mail it somewhere right? Do I mail it to a place local in my town? Or some global headquarters place? I don't see an address on the teamster website listed.

Depending on your local....it's 30 or sometimes 40 WORKING days, not calendar days to make book before Oct 15th.

NickyNik

I would talk to someone about that because I was under the impression that they couldn't start taking dues or initiation fees until after you made book.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
May depend on where he is located. I know in our Hub you were allowed to make book after the 15th as long as you were hired before the 15th. Everybody in our building that was hired October 13th and before was considered permanent.
Yeah...it doesnt work that way in my
local.

PT Car Washer

You keep the withdraw card to show you have already paid your initiation dues and past Union dues. When you go back to work you notify the Union and they will start taking dues out again. Otherwise you will owe back dues for all the time you were not working. I have had to get a withdraw card several times for extended military service.

Chemo

I don't know if that means anything as to whether or not I'm in the union. Is there a way to see the exact date I started? I started sometime in the week of 12/14 to 12/20 That was during the video watching week, and I got 6.87 hours from it.

Clear something up for me.
Did you start on 9/15 like the post is labeled? Or the week before Christmas like you say here?

HUGE difference and completely changes the answer to your questions