Hiring off the Street in WEST ft driver

BigBeef42

Hey guys, i got a question for those who are in the western conference.

What is the policy for hiring off the street - for FT drivers?

Right now our wait time to drive is 10-11 yrs and the # of people in-house who want to drive is huge.

On monday, in one of our centers, i saw a list of upcoming (soon to be hired) drivers names on a whiteboard and noticed that they are hiring someone off the street.

Guess i gotta wait longer to drive....

Im gonna reread our master agreement tonight and talk with a steward tomorrow.

Sent using USPS

Fedex Guy

Right now our wait time to drive is 10-11 yrs and the # of people in-house who want to drive is huge.

On monday, in one of our centers, i saw a list of upcoming (soon to be hired) drivers names on a whiteboard and noticed that they are hiring someone off the street.

Sent using USPS
I believe it's 1 out of 6 drivers are supposed to be hired off the street. Not sure exactly but it's something like that.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
1 in 6 as long as there are part timers that want to go full time. At my center out of 15 or so new drivers they have hire at least 5 or 6 off the street.

Ppl inside either don't want to drive can't drive a stick or have a bad driving record.

By The Book

Sent using USPS
I think it's 6 hired who attain seniority then 1 from outside. This 1 can be a transfer., or off the street.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
With the hiring spree they have been on lately do you really think it will take 10 yrs ???
I think in the next 10 years your going to see, ill guesstimate and say 40 percent of the drivers across the country will be retiring. Youll see a hiring spree like you've not seen in a long time. The bad part about it and this is just my opinion is its going to be a sad state with the quality of new drivers coming in. Just look around at the quality of part timers you see and the fact that kids nowadays aren't built like they used to be with character and work ethic.

CHALLY9TX

In the last six months they've hired about 15 drivers in my center. And that's not counting the ones that didn't qualify. This hiring boom is crazy. I was even surprised to get the call to go to feeder. Curious to see how this peak goes. Our peak last year in our center wasn't bad. We had to bail out other centers in our building though. Feels nice to be moving up the seniority list.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigBeef42

Its a long wait for us.

Its painful to watch supes and off the street guys go driving.

I expect half the guys they hire this year to be laid off come january.

What do you think?

Sent using USPS

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Like Fedex guy said, 1 out of every 6, this includes supervisors as outside hires as well. If they are doing more than that you need to file grievances. I also hope you are keeping up with the bid sheets and signing everything that comes across the board. This is your best chance. People who aren't jumping at these opportunities are fooling themselves. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a supervisor or an outside hire go drive, so make sure you are keeping up with it.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I think in the next 10 years your going to see, ill guesstimate and say 40 percent of the drivers across the country will be retiring. Youll see a hiring spree like you've not seen in a long time. The bad part about it and this is just my opinion is its going to be a sad state with the quality of new drivers coming in. Just look around at the quality of part timers you see and the fact that kids nowadays aren't built like they used to be with character and work ethic.
The way I see it, you get a bunch of lazy kids go package it might force them to take heavy loads off of people, because they just can't keep up and if they go feeders they will fit right in.

What'dyabringmetoday???

When you started, the old-timers were saying that all you new guys had no work ethic. Just sayin'. The place has managed to keep going despite how many feel it is mismanaged and that the quality of the workers is sub-par.