Hiring off the street

feeder05

In my 25 years I have never seen this. We are now hiring drivers off the street for packages. They are advertising on the radio and in the newspaper as if it were peak. In are big HUB they are looking to hire 75 drivers. We are also looking to hire 25 more feeder drivers by the end of the year. Has anyone else seen this kind of hiring craze in your areas?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Maybe they're realizing that technology can only do so much...The routes are at max and people get tired...it's not a hard concept to understand.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was hired off the street during a similar period of growth in 1989. I was part of a group of 5 that were hired-----3 made it, 1 died in a plane crash, another left after working here for 15 years or so. I am the only one of the group still working here.

We have been told we will be hiring 10-11 drivers before Peak. We had 2 that didn't make it through school, 1 that couldn't safely back up and 1 that will most likely be DQ'd when the center manager rides with him on Tuesday (performance). We are having a really hard time attracting and retaining quality applicants.

The Driver

I drive.
Has anyone else seen this kind of hiring craze in your areas?

I'm an off the street hire that started last peak and got called up again for my 30 days. My supervisor told me that we're preparing for next peak already and lots of drivers are set to retire. Looking around the building at PCM and I can tell the latter is definitely about to occur... :biggrin:

QKRSTKR

I was hired off the street during a similar period of growth in 1989. I was part of a group of 5 that were hired-----3 made it, 1 died in a plane crash, another left after working here for 15 years or so. I am the only one of the group still working here.

We have been told we will be hiring 10-11 drivers before Peak. We had 2 that didn't make it through school, 1 that couldn't safely back up and 1 that will most likely be DQ'd when the center manager rides with him on Tuesday (performance). We are having a really hard time attracting and retaining quality applicants.
Amazing. Do you think it's a generation thing or is UPS asking for too much? I know you say your center is pretty good dispatch wise. Imagine getting trainees off the street where the demand is even higher. I think part timers at the hub I am out of are scared to death of package. We also have another intent sheet up for feeder school and have hired seasonals permanently. It is crazy times. Good for the rest of us I guess.

Z

ZQXC

Same here. Said they are hiring 6-12. Last 4 got Dq'ed. Big push for women and they haven't made it either.

They like to have women in those wonderful company photos of 50 drivers shoulder to shoulder in front of one the trucks.
We have no female drivers at the current time, and it's been that way for quite a while.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It may be a combination of Generation Me and the increased demands of the company but we are definitely having a hard time finding and retaining quality applicants.

Z

ZQXC

Just don't see them getting 10-11 people that are willing to do this job hired, trained, and qualified in less than 6 months. Here, the attrition rate alone from those that DQ, or quit during training would make that number improbable.

Oak

Back in the fall of '96 I was between jobs and worked as a helper. Spring of '97 I was back at work and had just set up a new hardwood flooring mill. I got a call for an off-the-street and turned it down.

Now look where I am. Local sort for the last two years. Just won a TCD bid this past week.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Intergrad can't keep up and our HUB has been being used as a training facility. Every week 20-30 new drivers are walking around and observing full timers and PCM's Driving jobs to be had for sure.

And most of the persons that already work in you local hubs either just don't want to go driving or have been talked out of driving or scared out of driving by their coworkers (I hear of this a lot in our building)

Intergrad can't keep up and our HUB has been being used as a training facility. Every week 20-30 new drivers are walking around and observing full timers and PCM's Driving jobs to be had for sure.

And most of the persons that already work in you local hubs either just don't want to go driving or have been talked out of driving or scared out of driving by their coworkers (I hear of this a lot in our building)
Same at our building, none of the part timers want to go out on the road!

BigBeef42

Just got out of training school and it was pretty damn rigorous. Passing rate is 60-70% with the instructor we had....

Some of these off the street kids couldn't even drive a stick.... how did they pass the road test to get into the class?

Beats the hell out of me. And good luck passing your 30 days. If ur struggling to drive the car let alone making 150+ stops. I feel sorry for them.

Sent using BrownCafe App

By The Book

Just got out of training school and it was pretty damn rigorous. Passing rate is 60-70% with the instructor we had....

Some of these off the street kids couldn't even drive a stick.... how did they pass the road test to get into the class?

Beats the hell out of me. And good luck passing your 30 days. If ur struggling to drive the car let alone making 150+ stops. I feel sorry for them.

Sent using BrownCafe App
It could be a combination of a lot of things why it seems every center is hiring at a feverish pace. Drivers who can retire are, drivers that could have retired a few years ago are now retiring. A general increase in business, a specific increase from Amazon. In my building we went thru a growth spurt in late 86 thru 87. We put on 10 drivers in that time frame. We only run about 43 routes a day so that's a big percentage of guys, who in 2 years time will all be retired. In larger buildings this would create a larger demand for drivers.

JDA88

I wish. About to hit my 7th year in pre-load and still behind a lot of people for ft package. Although the list has been moving quite a bit recently.