hiring process really flawed?

browntroll

i was talking to a few ppl in hub and saw a bunch of new faces. weird part was alot of
new hires are guys in their 40's and the other half are ppl in their early 20's. the guys in their 20's knew a driver and were seasonal before they got hired while the guys in thier 40's are complete new hires with no UPS history. im sure some of these guys are expected to quit but so fare they havent. this is the only time i have seen so many guys in their 40's hired. anyone else see this in their hub?

browntroll

i couldnt find the edit button. i forgot to add 3 of the older guys have/had some sort of medical problem. one guy has had 2 cortisone shots
in his spine. other has new problems and last one needs a shoulder surgery and is trying to get his benefits so UPS can pay for it. i have nothing against older ppl getting hired but i do when they get thrown into they UPS system to what it seems like fail or get injured.

HBGPreloader

When I started at UPS several years ago, I was the "old guy" because I was old enough to be the father to many of these younger coworkers you describe.

Now, not so much.

From what I observed, the reason for the shift to hire older workers is reliability. We may not be as quick or as physically fit as the millennials. But, we show up on time, work safe and get the job done to the best of our abilities.

A perfect example is this cold snap and recent snow storms in the region. Unfortunately, most of these kids called out sick or claimed they were unable to get in due to the weather. However, we old guys and gals, many who travel quite far, made it in early or on time.

When it comes to running a business like UPS, the only way the company makes money is when they're moving packages do their final destination. So, when somebody calls out sick, packages are delayed and the company misses out on the opportunity to make money.

Indecisi0n

When I started at UPS several years ago, I was the "old guy" because I was old enough to be the father to many of these younger coworkers you describe.

Now, not so much.

From what I observed, the reason for the shift to hire older workers is reliability. We may not be as quick or as physically fit as the millennials. But, we show up on time, work safe and get the job done to the best of our abilities.

A perfect example is this cold snap and recent snow storms in the region. Unfortunately, most of these kids called out sick or claimed they were unable to get in due to the weather. However, we old guys and gals, many who travel quite far, made it in early or on time.

When it comes to running a business like UPS, the only way the company makes money is when they're moving packages do their final destination. So, when somebody calls out sick, packages are delayed and the company misses out on the opportunity to make money.

Trust me the company doesn't need bad weather to have delayed or missed business.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i have nothing against older ppl getting hired but i do when they get thrown into they UPS system to what it seems like fail or get injured.
Are you concerned they will edge out the females from the small sort? :devil3:

They could be veterans since UPS is committed to hire a large number of vets.

browntroll

Are you concerned they will edge out the females from the small sort? :devil3:

They could be veterans since UPS is committed to hire a large number of vets.
not sure what you mean by edge out. small sort in my hub has a few well maybe about half of the hubs females.
im gonna go with what HBGPreloader said since now that i think about it, the older guys are early by 15 minutes everyday(im there also)
and they never call in sick from what i have seen. alot of younger guys call in sick all the time and show up late.
i did meet a few young vets in my hub and they all quit maybe its just a generation gap in work ethic?

TheFigurehead

i did meet a few young vets in my hub and they all quit maybe its just a generation gap in work ethic?

I don't think it's a work ethic problem. UPS starting pay is about a generation behind what it ought to be. People were starting out at UPS a decade ago for, more or less, (nearly) the same starting pay. What was (at least approaching) a square deal 10 - 20 years ago, is laughable now. Add to that that guys in their early 20's don't value health insurance as much as older folks with kids, etc... and what's their motivation to show up?

On top of that, UPS doesn't value or respect their employees (especially part time package handlers)... why would anyone expect a bunch of underpaid kids to give more respect to their employer than their employer gives them?

By the time one finishes their probation, the situation is clear... UPS will work you as hard as you let them, as unsafe as you let them, and put you at as much risk as you let them. No one will be looking out for you except you.

Add to that that whenever a cold snap happens, half the building calls out. The people that do show up, instead of being thanked for bothering to come, are just worked harder and longer. Management, unhappy that they won't meet their numbers, takes the opportunity to take their displeasure out on those around them.

What's the motivation to show up? I don't blame them one bit.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't think it's a work ethic problem. UPS starting pay is about a generation behind what it ought to be. People were starting out at UPS a decade ago for, more or less, (nearly) the same starting pay. What was (at least approaching) a square deal 10 - 20 years ago, is laughable now. Add to that that guys in their early 20's don't value health insurance as much as older folks with kids, etc... and what's their motivation to show up?

On top of that, UPS doesn't value or respect their employees (especially part time package handlers)... why would anyone expect a bunch of underpaid kids to give more respect to their employer than their employer gives them?

By the time one finishes their probation, the situation is clear... UPS will work you as hard as you let them, as unsafe as you let them, and put you at as much risk as you let them. No one will be looking out for you except you.

Add to that that whenever a cold snap happens, half the building calls out. The people that do show up, instead of being thanked for bothering to come, are just worked harder and longer. Management, unhappy that they won't meet their numbers, takes the opportunity to take their displeasure out on those around them.

Actually the starting rate in 1982 was $8.00 and hour plus healthcare after 30 days, pension, vacation days on reaching seniority. So, a better compensation package over 30 years ago for the part-time employee.

UPS does not care about full-time or part-time. The Teamsters care about Full-time and screws the part-time. No one cares about part-time.

Yep ... it's all on you. Time to grow up ... fast.

Frustration I guess but a great opportunity to pad the numbers since all management gets to work.

I'm amazed that UPS can hire part-time employees since neither UPS nor the Teamsters cares about them.

HBGPreloader

I tend to agree - to an extent. As the saying goes, when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
However, it's not just me that has been noticing this lack of work ethic in the younger generation.
Sadly, many kids these days (and in the past) think that just because they went to college and earned a degree, they get to start at the top.
Well, they seem more than a bit disappointed when I state the only place where you get to start at the top is in your own business or digging ditches. :)