Hit a dog while on route.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
if a dog runs out into the street could you sue the homeowners, especially if ups give you any harassment over it. Some dog owners are not responsible at all. My favorite is going to a door and having the dog "own" their master and forcing the door open and start jumping all over me, sniffing my balls, trying to bite my feet(especially the small ones) and just have the owners think its no big deal. Its actually quite rude, you wouldnt let your kids do it, dont let your mutts.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't feel sorry for owners of dogs who let them chase vehicals and I would never attempt to pick up an injured dog unless it was my own (even then you would probably be bit). 20 plus could be telling a true story but if he is he did everything wrong. He should of just called the cops and his center and let them handle it. Sounds calous but that's the way it is. The pet owner was the one who should of taken the dog to the vet. I would advise him to get a lawyer because these people will probably sue him for moving their mutt when it was injured:dissapointed:

How about sue the owners for not keeping their dog leashed and running out into a public street. The driver was trying to do the right thing. If this did happen he will probably get his job back, union hater or not haha.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...They called the cops, I grabbed the dog & ran it to a Vet that was 4 miles down the road. The dog died.

I went back to the house & was cited for leaving the scene of an accident. Went back to hub, was told not to drive during investigation of a fatal accident, leaving the scene of an accident, not immediately reporting an accident, and using the package car for personal use. Had to give blood test.

22 years down the toilet

The fact that you were cited for leaving the scene does not mean you will be convicted of that offense; since you took the dog to the vet you obviously had no intention of avoiding prosecution and you were responding to an emergency situation in a timely manner.

In my area, hitting a loose animal on a public right-of-way is automatically considered to be unavoidable.

the UPS charges....leaving the scene, failure to report immediately, and using the vehicle for personal reasons...are all BS and there is no way they will ever be upheld at panel. It is stanard UPS policy to charge the driver with as many offenses as possible, whether realistic or not, in the hope that 1 or 2 might stick. In this case, they shouldnt.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If he did this on Thursday he posted all day Friday like nothing happened. I think if I was going to lose my job I would of brought it up on here or had other things to do on Friday, like call the union local.

I hit a dog that came from behind and went under the rear wheels. On the police report and the incident report at the building I put down that dog appeared suicidal. Case closed.

As far as 20plus,he`ll keep his job. Unless he`s bs`ing, then who cares.

Cementups

Box Monkey
BS, story. I've hit a dog . A dog is not a person. Thepolice would not treat this the same as a person with charges like leaving the scene of an accident

rod

Retired 22 years
BS, story. I've hit a dog . A dog is not a person. Thepolice would not treat this the same as a person with charges like leaving the scene of an accident

I don't know about that. Ya never know what the Barney Fife's will do around here.:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

CU, not true. I was actually cited for leaving the scene of an accident with injury to an animal. The local town justice had the ticket dismissed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have lost count over how many dogs I have run over over the years, (12-15?)and I have never been charged with anything. We have leash laws around here. If the dog is in the road, then tough luck. In the driveway, like two I've hit, then UPS is liable. I haven't hit one in about three years, I love dogs and I hate running over them. I have never heard of one of our drivers being charged for hitting one. Fired for hitting a dog chasing you down the street? That sounds far fetched to me. The worst I have ever heard anybody get is a warning letter.

tiegirl

tiegirl
Wow, you would think a reasonable person could have seen you were making your best attempt to save the dog that ran in front of your big truck. Furthermore, I am sure they did not consider the awful feeling you had for being the operater of the vehicle the dog encountered that resulted in his untimely demise. I hate it when people cannot be reasonable. It was an accident, that is why they call it an "accident", you did not intentionally set out to harm the pet of this family. I feel for you as well as the family who lost their pet.

pakmule

A roller dog for lunch
Im calling BS on this story also. I stop counting at 10 the number of dogs Ive hit over the 20 plus years driving. People think its funny watching their dog chase the truck until it gets run over.

chev

Nightcrawler
I blew off this post thinking this brownmonster wasn't making sense.
Then I looked at the threadstarters previous posts :

On Thursday, he posted at 7:09am , which is ordinary
BUT
He posted 6 more times between 9:25 and 10:14am

No driver (full-time or air) can do that especially on the day he supposedly hit the dog.

I feel like Encyclopedia Brown now :clap:
You are wrong bud. I can post from my phone all day long.:happy-very:
It is possible.

I hit a dog once. Kind of the same situation except I didn't run the dog to a vet. His owner did.
I delivered a package to a house 2 doors down. As I went by this house, their dog ran out the door and right under the rear wheels. All I saw before I ran him over was a yellow flash and then heard the "thump". The owner flipped out on me and swore I was going over the speed limit. Said he was an MP at Dover Air base and could tell just by seeing me drive past. Yeah right. No way I was going that fast cause I was slowing down to deliver to his neighbor. I had barely built up speed from the last delivery. Well, anyway, I was not charged for an accident. No investigation. My center manager said don't worry about it. It happens all the time. I felt really bad about it though. Poor little yellow lab.

Last edited:

New Englander

It is possible.

I hit a dog once. Kind of the same situation except I didn't run the dog to a vet. His owner did.
I delivered a package to a house 2 doors down. As I went by this house, their dog ran out the door and right under the rear wheels. All I saw before I ran him over was a yellow flash and then heard the "thump". The owner flipped out on me and swore I was going over the speed limit. Said he was an MP at Dover Air base and could tell just by seeing me drive past. Yeah right. No way I was going that fast cause I was slowing down to deliver to his neighbor. I had barely built up speed from the last delivery. Well, anyway, I was not charged for an accident. No investigation. My center manager said don't worry about it. It happens all the time. I felt really bad about it though. Poor little yellow lab.

Perhaps a bit better focus at work wouldn't have gotten the dog hit then?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It is possible.

I don't know many drivers that can post 6 times between 930am-1015am on a Thursday while at work

sorry

ANY FT UPS DRIVERS

Does he start late? who knows
Can he text and drive like a pro? maybe
Has he backed up his story from post 1? NOPE