Hit while parked, new rant, join in

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We got a new thing to sign, and although I didnt, I just initialed with protest, we have went to new lengths to avoid stupid people.
I agree it is getting worse, but short of putting orange cones around our car, and delivering blocks on a dolly, some things cant be prevented.
To say we should stick delivery notices on someones driver side window, of anyone who could possibly hit us......................well Im just at a loss for words.
Yes I think starting tomorrow, Ill go stick a dr notice on the escalades, cadillacs, etc, while setting off the car alarms and possibly getting shot for touching their cars, so I can deliver a box......................Come on UPS, some of them are elementary, most all of us do it. But when the parking between drives is 12 feet and your truck is 28, someone is going to get blocked, for a second. And how much allowance is built into our day for being an obsessive idiot, going around pasting our stuff on cars.
We do this kind of maneuver and soon the worst accident will be getting shot while parked. But until that happens they wont release the grip on making everything our fault.

DS

Fenderbender
But until that happens they wont release the grip on making everything our fault.
Hey remember in scratch's 3 dollar mirror thread,I mentioned I was having lunch in a quiet spot and some maroon in a 5 ton forgot to close his back doors,
it broke the side window on my P7.AVOIDABLE....grrrrrrrrrr I told the safety guy thank you for destroying my 8 years safe driving and told him that if a meteorite
smashed through my truck,I guess it would be avoidable if I was somewhere else at the time.
Tooner,Maybe you should take upstates idea.Just get a cell phone and park in a nice safe place and call every stop and ask them to come get your package.
We have a new center manager. He thinks like Vlad the impaler did.Terror is the key to keeping the peasants in line.
I wish gout on his foot .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just a typical example of an idiot behind a desk trying to justify his job by coming up with yet another "bright idea".

We have had people here get "charged" with an accident for being hit while legally parked. They have even been issued warning letters. The letters are worthless in terms of discipline since they would never be upheld at a panel hearing, but they help the management person who issues them to feel like he is doing something important.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just a typical example of an idiot behind a desk trying to justify his job by coming up with yet another "bright idea".

We have had people here get "charged" with an accident for being hit while legally parked. They have even been issued warning letters. The letters are worthless in terms of discipline since they would never be upheld at a panel hearing, but they help the management person who issues them to feel like he is doing something important.

At least the idiot in I.E. sitting in a cubicle in Corporate would agree with you on this one ... don't waste anytime considering parked vehicles.

This was probably some idiot in HR sitting in a cubicle in Corporate that thought this one up.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I actually had one and three people came out and tried to find a way to charge me, and could not, but my day is coming. Ive had 3 I can remember and they can never charge me as I try to follow all the rules, but pulling the mirror in, in heavy traffic areas..sorry I would rather lose a mirror than an arm, or my head. And my job, cant do it. I will get out soon not soon enough. I pray for those who follow, what they want is impossible. As the culture gets worse, and the habits of other people driving degrade, there is only so much I can do.
And yet the worst safety hazard they have is us delivering at night. And we know that wont stop. I mean we can do it we always have, but sight deteriorates, ice, rain, snow all make for difficult days, and you betcha, it will be our fault.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
At least the idiot in I.E. sitting in a cubicle in Corporate would agree with you on this one ... don't waste anytime considering parked vehicles.

This was probably some idiot in HR sitting in a cubicle in Corporate that thought this one up.
Ok hoax, we consider parked cars. Thats not what I said, now keep it up and Ill delete you.
And yes it is some idiot in a cubicle. Sorry, it just is. Now how about this, give us some time for logical thought, instead of taking it all away.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ok hoax, we consider parked cars. Thats not what I said, now keep it up and Ill delete you.
And yes it is some idiot in a cubicle. Sorry, it just is. Now how about this, give us some time for logical thought, instead of taking it all away.

Sorry, I can't help ribbing Sober every once in a while. :happy-very:

DS

Fenderbender
toonzy,I think hoax was talking in his usual sarcastic way,to soberups,not you.
Maybe the info notices on the escalades are his idea. God only knows.Google was created in a cubicle.:wink2:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well then Ok. Im going to bed. Have to be chipper for the morning ya know. Or some guy in a cubicle somewhere somehow will know.......................

brown bomber

brown bomber
I had to defend myself "to Death".....because some "old timer", coming from a vision check-up plowed the back of my P-1000.......his eyes were still dilated..............I was parked well out of a pedestrian area, let alone an auto traffic area...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had to defend myself "to Death".....because some "old timer", coming from a vision check-up plowed the back of my P-1000.......his eyes were still dilated..............I was parked well out of a pedestrian area, let alone an auto traffic area...
Well in that case you should have stuck them all over every window, WTH is wrong with you? Could you have not run to every car parked within 100 ft, and stuck notes so they knew you were there? It says every car that could possibly hit you. Using this rule we should be on stop number 12 by 4pm, but we will put lots of miles on our footsies.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Code it out to safety, see how that flies, no really dont, but you should, just step it up a little to make up for it................................

satellitedriver

I actually had one and three people came out and tried to find a way to charge me, and could not, but my day is coming. Ive had 3 I can remember and they can never charge me as I try to follow all the rules, but pulling the mirror in, in heavy traffic areas..sorry I would rather lose a mirror than an arm, or my head. And my job, cant do it. I will get out soon not soon enough. I pray for those who follow, what they want is impossible. As the culture gets worse-( UPS no longer has a culture)-, and the habits of other people driving degrade, there is only so much I can do.
And yet the worst safety hazard they have is us delivering at night. And we know that wont stop. I mean we can do it we always have, but sight deteriorates, ice, rain, snow all make for difficult days, and you betcha, it will be our fault.

And, I thought it was just me.

JustTired

free at last.......
Wonder what will happen when someone drives away with a delivery notice in the middle of their windshield and plows into another car because it created a blindspot? Better yet....plows into the package car. I see lawsuits in someones future.

You can't assume that someone is smart enough to remove it from their windshield before driving away.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Wonder what will happen when someone drives away with a delivery notice in the middle of their windshield and plows into another car because it created a blindspot? Better yet....plows into the package car. I see lawsuits in someones future.

You can't assume that someone is smart enough to remove it from their windshield before driving away.
It says driver side window, which creates a big blind spot to the driver of the car............if they did not see it before they pulled away, and people are oblivious.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Back in July I was hit while parked and charged with an avoidable.

The safety snitch agreed in the "meeting", and the union did not back me.

I was making a delivery and there were no turnaround points in this narrow apt building parking area ( was driving an old P700, no psteering etc etc). There was a guy coming out of the apts near where the delivery was, so I asked him where apartment was. He said it was one of several buildings.

So I went and parked 1/2 on pavement 1/2 off, with hazards on, behind where the guy was parked. I assumed that when he left I could turn around in his spot since there was enough room).

I came back from delivery and did my back into spot, reversed direction and was leaving. The guy drives back, and on my way out of complex, tells me he backed into my truck. He showed me his crumpled up rear bumper and the rest of the damage to his car.

I was parked the best I could, 15 feet away from any vehicles w/ plenty of room, nowhere near the point of delivery and had just talked to the man.

No damage to truck, no ins claim( he admitted it was 100% his fault on the accident write-up)...

The only thing avoidable is common sense at UPS.