Hit while parked.

RobbyD

I got hit while parked a few weeks ago. I blocked the driveway as I have been trained to do. A very old lady admits to my supervisor and the police that she saw the truck and heard the horn but didn't put it all together just backed into me rather fast. Also didn't stop before entering the roadway. Ups determined I should of parked before her driveway (she still would of hit me) and that it was avoidable. So I got charged with the accident received the accident letter. I argued that I did everything I've been trained to do, she saw me and heard me. Their response is that I've been trained to park in the safest position. I turned in a dispute of the letter that just seemed to make them angry.

rod

Retired 22 years
They go out of their way to turn their employees against them--------mission accomplished. Another disgruntled employee to add to their list.

jaker

trolling
Well now you know don't block driveways anymore and when I sup rides with you and ask why you don't do it tell him

And if he tells you to do it ask for him to write it down saying it's ok

But still don't do it

rod

Retired 22 years
Well now you know don't block driveways anymore and when I sup rides with you and ask why you don't do it tell him

And if he tells you to do it ask for him to write it down saying it's ok

But still don't do it

The sup would just deny writing the permission slip.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Again Ups is above the law. Use the police report to support your claim. I'm sure there is a parking Protocol written down some place. I've been trained to block off driveways

Overpaid Union Thug

I got hit while parked a few weeks ago. I blocked the driveway as I have been trained to do. A very old lady admits to my supervisor and the police that she saw the truck and heard the horn but didn't put it all together just backed into me rather fast. Also didn't stop before entering the roadway. Ups determined I should of parked before her driveway (she still would of hit me) and that it was avoidable. So I got charged with the accident received the accident letter. I argued that I did everything I've been trained to do, she saw me and heard me. Their response is that I've been trained to park in the safest position. I turned in a dispute of the letter that just seemed to make them angry.
They are pure evil. I guess you realize that by now. They don't care about their employees nor do they they care about the customers. Their sole purpose in this world is to appease the stock holders while making every attempt possible to fire the drivers because we are well compensated.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't recall ever being told to block a driveway. What is their reasoning behind that. Personally it sounds foolish. Then again unless you were delivering in a city residential area we either drove into a driveway or backed in--depending on if you knew you had access to turn around.

oldngray

nowhere special
I can't recall ever being told to block a driveway. What is their reasoning behind that. Personally it sounds foolish. Then again unless you were delivering in a city residential area we either drove into a driveway or backed in--depending on if you knew you had access to turn around.

The reasoning is to not halfway block a driveway so people might still try to squeeze through and hit you, so it is better to completely block the driveway.

rod

Retired 22 years
The reasoning is to not halfway block a driveway so people might still try to squeeze through and hit you, so it is better to completely block the driveway.

If you can't drive in anymore I would think parking in a position that left plenty of room for access would be best---like maybe 10 feet from the driveway. I suppose that would create a blind spot if anyone was leaving the driveway. Sure glad I don't work there anymore. It used to be so simple. Just deliver the package-- no one cares where you park.

Box Ox

At my center were told to fully block in areas where we can't avoid stopping behind cars, like apartment complexes.

When it comes to driveways, we're told to avoid parking in front of them whenever possible. Some people come flying out in reverse (late for work, etc) and never expect anything to be there.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Used to we were trained to never block on cars either. Park out of their way. People were getting hit anyway. So ups changed it to do block them in. You lose either way.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
pretty much the same thing happened to me in 2010 or 2011. Though I wasn't blocking a driveway, I was in a great park position. UPS and their captain hindsight, driver is always wrong mentality, called it an avoidable. It doesn't bother me at all because of stories like yours I hear of. When it comes to accidents and avoidance, everyone is treated like a pile of dirt at UPS. It's best to just laugh at them and move on because you did everything that YOU could forsee, in that moment of time, correctly.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Park in front of the lawn, away from the driveway, walk through the grass and trip or twist your ankle in some hole? Yep, you should've parked in front of the driveway so you could see any pitfalls.

UPS is a massive beast that has bumpers around everything that could possibly be seen as blame on their part. Corporations are viewed by the US Supreme Court as having the same rights as an individual...except they get a waiver when it comes to personal responsibility.

All you can do is use their words and rules against them. Ask them for documentation on all of their methods--in this case, where to park--and never deviate from them. Of course they will tell you to do the opposite when it suits them. That's why you keep their documentation. And don't take shortcuts from them.

Consider it a lesson well learned.