Hit while parked.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Management here considers driveways "intersections".
We are not suppose to block a driveway per my safety ride last month.

No matter what, take that accident with a grain of salt.
These idiots are justifying their safety job by blaming us for anything anyways.
As long as you don't lose your job over it, just keep doing your thing.

Dr.Brownz

The reasoning is to not halfway block a driveway so people might still try to squeeze through and hit you, so it is better to completely block the driveway.

They told us that here too. If you have to park somewhere less than ideal m or double parked make it so no one will try to squeeze around you and cause some kind of accident (IE: people trying to squeeze past in both directions or view blocked by billboard of truck type accident)

Management here considers driveways "intersections".
We are not suppose to block a driveway per my safety ride last month.

No matter what, take that accident with a grain of salt.
These idiots are justifying their safety job by blaming us for anything anyways.
As long as you don't lose your job over it, just keep doing your thing.
The :censored2: just gets old.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I was trained not to block driveways, but blocking them in some situations does make sense... I think this is one of those lose lose ups situations

Indecisi0n

Well now you know don't block driveways anymore and when I sup rides with you and ask why you don't do it tell him

And if he tells you to do it ask for him to write it down saying it's ok

But still don't do it
I don't care if they got Jesus to write it down, if I had been charged with the accident I would never ever park near a driveway. Even if they instructed me to I would outright refuse and file. I don't care if I had to park 5 blocks down and walk back. Use this :censored2: against them.

Last edited:

RobbyD

Rhetorical questions=real world situations. I never let it end when something comes on the heal of a warning letter. My thinking is THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN, and ask them if they are as interested in preventing it from happening again as I am. So what answers did they give you? What was their solution?
Their solution was don't block driveways, also don't exit vehicle on grass, don't ask rhetorical questions, learn from the situation. John snow says "winter is coming" and where I live exiting the vehicle anywhere but the driveway will be impossible. Maybe I should bring my snow shoes to work out them on off every stop.

RobbyD

I don't care if they got Jesus to write it down, if I had been charged with the accident I would never ever park near a driveway. Even if they instructed me to I would outright refuse and file. I don't care if I had to park 5 blocks down and walk back. Use this :censored2: against them.
Yes I've been parking excessively far to find a spot not blocking any driveway. Also driving always under the speed limit since the warning letter can be used against me for 8 more months. Surprise my production has gone to :censored2:.

SafetyFirst

i deliver to the local hospital, on my safety ride my on-car told me to block off the area ambulances use to unload at the emergency room because if other vehicles thought there was enough room to squeeze by and couldn't it would be my fault if i got side swiped. I still don't do it for obvious reasons, but there is no grey area in their methods, even when they contradict themselves.

DOK

Again Ups is above the law. Use the police report to support your claim. I'm sure there is a parking Protocol written down some place. I've been trained to block off driveways
Interesting how's it's different around the country, we're trained not to block driveways.

Indecisi0n

We use to be told never block a driveway but if you have to then block is 100%. Even when you follow the second part you still get charged with a hit while parked.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You learned a lesson.

You learned no matter what you do good or bad, when it goes wrong it's your fault.

Really makes you wanna go the extra mile for them huh?

JL 0513

The smartest policy is letting the driver determine the safest and most appropriate parked position for each stop. Every stop presents a unique situation.

Blocking a driveway is a good idea in many situations where it is better to set the vehicle 2-3 feet off the street rather than blocking the full street lane. You have to decide, do I block heavy traffic or block an empty driveway?

So my general practice is to pull over off the road in front of a driveway on busy roads. On roomy quite side streets, I line the front bumper up with the edge of the driveway. It's funny how often people come home as you are making their delivery, so I like to keep it clear in these situations.

babboo25

Banned
It just shows how much UPS hates thier employees. You bust your ass all day, avoid accidents EVERYDAY, but then someone hits you and its your fault. Only at UPS.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The smartest policy is letting the driver determine the safest and most appropriate parked position for each stop. Every stop presents a unique situation.

Blocking a driveway is a good idea in many situations where it is better to set the vehicle 2-3 feet off the street rather than blocking the full street lane. You have to decide, do I block heavy traffic or block an empty driveway?

So my general practice is to pull over off the road in front of a driveway on busy roads. On roomy quite side streets, I line the front bumper up with the edge of the driveway. It's funny how often people come home as you are making their delivery, so I like to keep it clear in these situations.
All that thought into what you do and if they hit you it's still your fault. This company wonders why people DGAF.

JL 0513

Perhaps this is a stupid question but what is the benefit to UPS to blame their driver and charge them with an accident when someone else hits them? It's not like we get an annual bonus for an accident free year. They want us accident free right, so why charge us when we really aren't at fault? It can't just be so that it can be used to fire us if we get into another accident during the rest of the year, can it?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Perhaps this is a stupid question but what is the benefit to UPS to blame their driver and charge them with an accident when someone else hits them? It's not like we get an annual bonus for an accident free year. They want us accident free right, so why charge us when we really aren't at fault? It can't just be so that it can be used to fire us if we get into another accident during the rest of the year, can it?
It's blame shifting, much like in a poker game, if you can't spot the fish, your the fish. If management says it's not our fault, then its management's fault for lack of training us to not have accidents. Injuries is another one, it's like they think you purposely injure yourself, because if you were doing everything they trained you to, you wouldn't be injured. It's all about placing blame for the result of something happening instead of acknowledging life happens and statistics are real.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Their solution was don't block driveways, also don't exit vehicle on grass, don't ask rhetorical questions, learn from the situation. John snow says "winter is coming" and where I live exiting the vehicle anywhere but the driveway will be impossible. Maybe I should bring my snow shoes to work out them on off every stop.

Don't block driveways but don't exit the vehicle in the grass. Where, pray tell, are you supposed to park then, at the end of the block? Your management team sounds like some real scientists over there.

And don't ask rhetorical questions? See, if it would've been me, I would have told them to cover some of my air, because we were going to be in that office for awhile getting some answers, be they rhetorical, informational or possibly...straight forward ones. I'd say, "Yes, indeed, your highness, I have learned something. I have learned no matter the situation, the driver is always at fault and if this is an unavoidable accident, why should I try to avoid it?"

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It's blame shifting, much like in a poker game, if you can't spot the fish, your the fish. If management says it's not our fault, then its management's fault for lack of training us to not have accidents. Injuries is another one, it's like they think you purposely injure yourself, because if you were doing everything they trained you to, you wouldn't be injured. It's all about placing blame for the result of something happening instead of acknowledging life happens and statistics are real.

In feeders, when they do your annual ride, no matter how flawless you perform, they are to get at least five things to "correct" you on. I always thought that was a driver myth, but I've had two on-road sups admit it. When I asked why, they both said it was so they could show they were doing their job. When I asked, if a driver does a perfect job--and a by-the-book feeder driver can easily do it--doesn't it say the supervisor has done the best job possible, one said, "That's not how they see it," and the other just laughed. We are always wrong, they are immune from any blame.

That is what we are dealing with.