hitting a dog

PT Car Washer

Nah, you barely feel those deer. You see 'em, it startles you a little, there's a boom and you pull over. End of story. You'd be surprised how often it happens. We have signs in the feeder department that say: Don't swerve for deer.
I would not be surprised at how many times it happens. Sometimes I 80 looks like downtown Bagdad after a suicide bomber has struck. I may hit the brakes to give them a chance, but after that it is out of my hands.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
it aint going no where, this is not my judge or jury.

Well, you know how it goes here, someone posts an incident that happened to them, is curious about it, asks for some opinions, usually feeling a little down, and like clockwork, here he comes, to show you how you messed up, poke holes in your story and to tell you how in his experience, it could never happen to him.

I kind of view him as our own Judge Wapner. Cranky, boisterous, and ultimately, powerless.

Dracula

I would not be surprised at how many times it happens. Sometimes I 80 looks like downtown Bagdad after a suicide bomber has struck. I may hit the brakes to give them a chance, but after that it is out of my hands.

Yep, brakes, if I have the chance, is all I will give Bambi. Sounds cruel, but it's true, in a way we are helping the other deer.

It's just about time for the culling to begin.

10 point

Does it matter? The company has decided to charge Toon. I've rolled over dogs and never had blood or guts to show for it. Its all been internal injuries. But, I'm also not saying Toon is guilty either. The company has decided and their message to other driver is as always, caution. They see everything not as an individual incident but a policy initiative. You have to understand each parties perspective. UPS isn't just focusing on a singular incident its overlaying it with a broader message. And that really sux's if your the microbe under the microscope. I mean, how long do you have to work for UPS to know that, in the end, your going to be blamed for everything. That's the job. Ya know!

Now get get into that driver seat and do what got-ta-do. Its all part of the territory you work in.
Except for that little, tiny issue of progressive discipline.
Sometimes (most of the time) you have to stand and fight unwarranted discipline.
If she didn't personally get a warning ltr handed to her within ten days of their telling her she's going to get one the ltr is void and should be grieved. Period.

Prove that she hit the dog.
It's all hearsay at this point and she's getting bullied into accepting it.

If it was an accident that "she should have had knowledge of" where is the proof that damage was done in the street?
The man was standing off the street holding the alleged damaged property not in the street hunched over the dog she allegedly hit.
Her compassion for animals isn't an avenue for the company to springboard off of to add weight to this alleged issue.

Sometimes you've just got to say "Enough!" and get past the fear factor.

Dracula

Oh it has, especially at UPS

Nah, you aren't going anywhere.

It's always hard to gauge feelings on these forums, but you can see you're taking the dog's death hard. It sucks, no getting around it. You feel bad for the old man, even though he accused you, because you know how he felt losing his friend. But that wasn't your fault. And even if it WOULD have been you that hit his mutt, it still wouldn't have been your fault. Who knows why the man's dog was out in the street? Most likely, the man was crushed seeing his dog, dead, and blamed the first person who came by. And that was you. Since he barely doesn't speak English, he's probably not even like many crappy Americans who see UPS, and look for a payday. He's just bummed.

You'll feel better. It just takes time. No one likes to see a dead pet. If you're an animal lover, it hits a deep nerve. I had to put down my lab last September, and buried him out back. It was one of my worst days. And you know what? When I'm working out in the garage, and I see the flower bed I buried him in, about half of the time that rat bastard still gets a tear out of me. But it gets better all of the time. Now, my wife went out and got a Chihuahua, and that makes me sad again. Not because it reminds me of my Lab, but because ITS A CHIHUAHUA!! That thing is not a dog, it's an abomination! But that's my cross to bear.

Only time will help. You probably know that. But you shouldn't blame yourself. You couldn't have done anything for the dog and the man.

As far as your manager, and his little space in hell, I would populate his paperwork with copious amounts of your own. I wouldn't let him get away with being such a lout. If it were me, I'd file a harassment grievance, and for the resolution, I would ask that he apologize in front of center. I would also call HR in Sandy Springs and run his name up the flagpole for creating a hostile work environment. Tell them you are "reviewing your options."

You just need to get to feeders, where you don't dread you drive into work anymore.

10 point

Nah, you aren't going anywhere.

It's always hard to gauge feelings on these forums, but you can see you're taking the dog's death hard. It sucks, no getting around it. You feel bad for the old man, even though he accused you, because you know how he felt losing his friend. But that wasn't your fault. And even if it WOULD have been you that hit his mutt, it still wouldn't have been your fault. Who knows why the man's dog was out in the street? Most likely, the man was crushed seeing his dog, dead, and blamed the first person who came by. And that was you. Since he barely doesn't speak English, he's probably not even like many crappy Americans who see UPS, and look for a payday. He's just bummed.

You'll feel better. It just takes time. No one likes to see a dead pet. If you're an animal lover, it hits a deep nerve. I had to put down my lab last September, and buried him out back. It was one of my worst days. And you know what? When I'm working out in the garage, and I see the flower bed I buried him in, about half of the time that rat bastard still gets a tear out of me. But it gets better all of the time. Now, my wife went out and got a Chihuahua, and that makes me sad again. Not because it reminds me of my Lab, but because ITS A CHIHUAHUA!! That thing is not a dog, it's an abomination! But that's my cross to bear.

Only time will help. You probably know that. But you shouldn't blame yourself. You couldn't have done anything for the dog and the man.

As far as your manager, and his little space in hell, I would populate his paperwork with copious amounts of your own. I wouldn't let him get away with being such a lout. If it were me, I'd file a harassment grievance, and for the resolution, I would ask that he apologize in front of center. I would also call HR in Sandy Springs and run his name up the flagpole for creating a hostile work environment. Tell them you are "reviewing your options."

You just need to get to feeders, where you don't dread you drive into work anymore.
This job reminds me of the recent true story where the swimmer was going to be eaten by a shark and out of sheer anger, fear, and desperation punched the shark in the nose with his fist and the shark retreated stunned.
I'm not saying to punch anyone in the nose literally but if you don't fight for truth and against oppression who will fight for you in your place?

If you're in the right stand your ground.
Make them prove your guilt.

oldandcrabby

My Daddy had two cliches in life that he lived by when he was on this earth.
1. The good Lord is always going to cut the coat to fit the cloth. We just may not like the way the coat fits.
2. Their is no rest for the weary and the wicked don't need it.

I believe wholeheartedly that the rank and file from the warehouse to drivers are the weary.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Let the healing begin... with this contradiction.
TDLaTlW.jpg

Dr.Brownz

No letter. Said i should have stopped first. Instead of backing first. Basically i should have stopped, delivered across the street, got out of the car with a loose, although unknown dead dog in the weeds, then went and turned around. Monday morning quarterbacking at its best. It doesnt matter. Anymore. A poor old man lost his buddy. I didnt do it. I only feel for the owner. I wish he didnt think i did it.

So now its ok to back up after a stop????

Typical ups

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So what would you all do next time you would have a delivery for this address. And what do you think our rights are concerning our safety? Just asking.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
So what would you all do next time you would have a delivery for this address. And what do you think our rights are concerning our safety? Just asking.

Is it close enough to an adjoining route that you could reasonably ask another driver to make the delivery? Perhaps trade a stop?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a professional driver you would continue to service the stop. If the homeowner became aggressive or otherwise made you fear for your safety you would ask your center manager to either move the stop or put it on permanent will call.

I can't imagine a senile 84 year old does a whole lot of online shopping.