Hmmmm,This may open some doors to destroy Ground.

STFXG

I like stirring the pot. Plus, I'm at an age where getting hired by another company isn't likely. Hey, maybe I'll throw away all of my ethics and morals like you and become a :censored2: ISP/contractor.
A constant stream of excuses.

Sent using BrownCafe App

vantexan

Huh? In your rush to make everything a pro-Republican rant, you've missed the fact that Ground is a gift to Mr. Smith from both political parties. The Obama administration has been very business-friendly, and has even lauded Smith as an "excellent leader".

As a perpetual victim of FedEx, and a rabid Republican, you support the very people that have kept you down financially. Even if we had a strong union movement, you'd probably vote against it because of your AC/DC views. You take a beating, and then go begging back for more..."Please, may I have another, sir!!".

Please continue being a useful pawn for the GOP....they love folks like you that support their own prison guard(s). Amazing.
It's easy to talk but please show us how FedEx can pay the kind of pay and supply the kind of benefits you think we all should be getting? They have 2 or 3 billion in profit? Their payroll is close to $30 billion, most of what they take in in revenue. After that comes fuel. So tell me where is all the money coming from? If Ground is the more profitable division and that is where the growth is then most of what they have left over in profit is going Ground's way. It's the harsh reality you don't want to seem to face. Much easier to spread hatred. And business is thriving because businessmen have cut everything to the bone to increase profit, not because of anything Obama is doing. If you don't like what FedEx has become then get out. I'm only here to get from point A to B, I don't need to be making $30hr because my lifestyle doesn't require it. I don't admire this company and after seeing so many of your claims not materialize I don't admire you. The only people employees should be worried about are their families thus doing a good enough job to keep the job and support their loved ones. It's not about some brotherhood of couriers, sisterhood either, standing up against injustice in their struggle for economic parity. You could care less about newhires or 10 year employees. You just wanted their vote if a union vote ever came about so that you could get that top pay while they got left in the dust, wondering what just happened. Who are you kidding? Playing on people's fears to make more money for yourself. And supporting people in government who play one group against another to get votes while not really doing much of anything for either. Democrats in action. Maybe you should run for Congress so you could really cash in. You've got the rhetoric down pat.

soc151

Says who?

Says each individual. We only deserve better if we are willing and/or capable of making it happen. There are guys at my terminal that are happy with their chosen careers, and are extremely limited in their options to make the money they are making now somewhere else. There are others that are severely underemployed, but stick with it because it's a stable paycheck. And then there are those that just fear change.

Is working around 60 hours a week on a salary, with no benefits, sick days, or paid holidays, "fair?" I would argue no, it is not. I am realistic though - I know that the contractors are under financial constraints imposed by FedEx. However, it's all in the perception of the employee.

Long time lurker, first time poster, but as a fellow Ground driver I have to agree with SOC on his points. And I think the system is going to force contractors out of the model that don't compensate their employees to their best ability. My ISP is the largest in our building, doesn't offer medical of course, but paid holidays, vacation days, sick days and in general is easy to work with on taking a day off here and there. His wages are comparable to what most Ground drivers salaries are, but he does offer raises and quarterly performance bonuses (my last two were $500/each before Uncle Sam took his cut). As volume continues to grow, the ISP will either adapt routes to keep their drivers from burnout or experience a revolving door of employees which in many cases service will suffer as a result. As SOC mentioned, many working there probably can't do better but of a lot of us, myself included, are probably underemployed. I might could do better somewhere else around here, but I have a good relationship with my ISP, my vehicle is well maintained, he trusts my judgement in decision making on the road and rarely sends me out with over 90-100 stops which normally has me home by 4:30-5:00 on the late end. It's not for everyone, but it works in my situation and while I maybe could do better financially somewhere else, my overall experience has been positive and while it's not a career calling for me, it works in my situation until I finish my college program and move on.

soc151

What's to stop a contractor from paying a Ground driver extra or a bonus out of their own pocket? Or am I missing something here?

From my understanding, the only real profit in being a contractor under the ISP comes from the bonuses that FedEx pays for service %, no accidents, no complaints, etc. The payments for pieces, stops, and service fee is eaten up by wages, truck maintenance, fuel, etc. As I'm sure some of the contractors on the board here will verify, FedEx is really happy to take those bonuses away for the smallest things (closing out a pickup 1 second early, for example). My contractor does pay a bonus if he gets his bonus, but it's tied into the performance of EVERYONE that works for him (so, for example, if one person mis-delivers a box and the customer calls in, the entire bonus is gone for the month, whether the customer eventually received the box or not). Needless to say, we very rarely get a bonus.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's easy to talk but please show us how FedEx can pay the kind of pay and supply the kind of benefits you think we all should be getting? They have 2 or 3 billion in profit? Their payroll is close to $30 billion, most of what they take in in revenue. After that comes fuel. So tell me where is all the money coming from? If Ground is the more profitable division and that is where the growth is then most of what they have left over in profit is going Ground's way. It's the harsh reality you don't want to seem to face. Much easier to spread hatred. And business is thriving because businessmen have cut everything to the bone to increase profit, not because of anything Obama is doing. If you don't like what FedEx has become then get out. I'm only here to get from point A to B, I don't need to be making $30hr because my lifestyle doesn't require it. I don't admire this company and after seeing so many of your claims not materialize I don't admire you. The only people employees should be worried about are their families thus doing a good enough job to keep the job and support their loved ones. It's not about some brotherhood of couriers, sisterhood either, standing up against injustice in their struggle for economic parity. You could care less about newhires or 10 year employees. You just wanted their vote if a union vote ever came about so that you could get that top pay while they got left in the dust, wondering what just happened. Who are you kidding? Playing on people's fears to make more money for yourself. And supporting people in government who play one group against another to get votes while not really doing much of anything for either. Democrats in action. Maybe you should run for Congress so you could really cash in. You've got the rhetoric down pat.

Once again, a political rant tinged with anger because you went begging back for your job. If we had a union vote tomorrow, how would you vote, van? My guess is "no", because you're so invested in your Right Wing hyperbole that you couldn't allow yourself to vote against Smith and FedEx.

Me...I could give a :censored2: what people do relative to my own situation. Nice to see you attacking me to rationalize your own shame for coming back because you didn't have the will or desire to do something different. Now you're congratulating yourself for coming back and defending this joke of an organization.

I pity you.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Really Van, I remember you saying, you'd rather shovel manure than come back to FedEx.

You've come a long way but unfortunately in the wrong direction.