Hoffa fighting to remove the Independent Review Board?

kingOFchester

Not a fan of the TDU clan. However, I do look on their site to try and get the entire picture. Kind of like watching NBC and Fox.

My question is, why would Hoffa be wasting time trying to get the IRB removed?

How do you feel about it?

It would seem that we as Teamsters would want the IRB. Not having a full understanding of the entire situation, I am not sure how I fell about it just yet.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would think the IBT generals see the US Government oversight as a blight on the Teamster Union.
However, the Teamsters are still rife with organized crime just waiting for the chance to get their hands on the massive amount of monies in the Teamster pot-of-gold.
Members should hope Hoffa is unsuccessful.

image.jpg
Not a fan of the TDU clan. However, I do look on their site to try and get the entire picture. Kind of like watching NBC and Fox.

?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I hate the IRB and the fact that hundreds of thousands of dollars of our dues money goes to paying the salaries of the board members, their staff, and for their posh offices in NYC.

However, the internal review mechanism that Hoffa tried to install to replace the IRB (Project RISE) was a joke. The lawyer in charge of running it resigned in protest and the whole thing crashed and burned.

While there's not the same level of outright corruption (La Cosa Nostra members running locals/joint councils, pension and health care fund skimming, violence, etc.) as there was in the past, there's still some pretty lousy :censored2: going involving nepotism and misuse of the member's money; a perfect example would be the :censored2: in Local 120.

All that being said, however, secretly changing the IBT constitution to slam three local supplements through over the opposition of their members was awful anti-democratic. It was "probably" legal (I guarantee IBT legal went through every angle to make sure it could be done legitimately) but definitely against the "spirit" of union democracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

LagunaBrown

How much does the Union pay for these elections and what is the voter turnout? It is amusing that TDU is all about cost except in this case. I must admit I do like the voting because the accountability factor on the members. Without voting the blame game would skyrocket.

"In this world, if you read the papers, darling, You know everybody's fighting with each other. You got no one you can count on, dear, Not even your own brother". Janis Joplin - (Get it while you can)

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
I hate the IRB and the fact that hundreds of thousands of dollars of our dues money goes to paying the salaries of the board members, their staff, and for their posh offices in NYC.

However, the internal review mechanism that Hoffa tried to install to replace the IRB (Project RISE) was a joke. The lawyer in charge of running it resigned in protest and the whole thing crashed and burned.

While there's not the same level of outright corruption (La Cosa Nostra members running locals/joint councils, pension and health care fund skimming, violence, etc.) as there was in the past, there's still some pretty lousy :censored2: going involving nepotism and misuse of the member's money; a perfect example would be the Slawsons (father and son) in Local 120.

All that being said, however, secretly changing the IBT constitution to slam three local supplements through over the opposition of their members was awful anti-democratic. It was "probably" legal (I guarantee IBT legal went through every angle to make sure it could be done legitimately) but definitely against the "spirit" of union democracy.

Don't forget the number of other local's that have been placed into trusteeship like 630 in Los Angeles because their principal officer decided to spend over $160,000 on alcohol in two years for him and his staff. Or the case of 848 in Long Beach, when the most corrupt JC (42) in the IBT had to fork out $500,000 to bail :censored2: the head of the local and the JC to bail him out of a sexual abuse scandal.

How about :censored2: in Chicago who is an active member of the Chicago Outfit. Or the :censored2: in LOcal 82 (Boston area) that had been a part of organized crime and beating up members? The local got dissolved and merged into Local 25 without a vote from the members. The head of Local 25 is no other than a Boston gangster by the name of :censored2: who's grandfather and father were both ousted by the federal government due to their ties to organized crime. The "Wonder Boy" :censored2: himself got hit by the IRB last year for trying to intimidate members who formed a slate to run against their incompetent leaders he had backed.

These are just a few. There are many more I have not mentioned. But taking the right of the members to vote would be a smart move by Hoffa after their :censored2: up at UPS and freight.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingOFchester

Well, I really am not up to speed with the IRB.

Taking it at face value, Independent Review Board, seems like it is a good idea to have over seeing things. But, as I said, I haven't done any research on the matter to come up with a concrete stance.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

While there's not the same level of outright corruption (La Cosa Nostra members running locals/joint councils, pension and health care fund skimming, violence, etc.) as there was in the past, there's still some pretty lousy :censored2: going involving nepotism and misuse of the member's money; a perfect example would be the :censored2: in Local 120.

Don't forget the number of other local's that have been placed into trusteeship like 630 in Los Angeles because their principal officer decided to spend over $160,000 on alcohol in two years for him and his staff. Or the case of 848 in Long Beach, when the most corrupt JC (42) in the IBT had to fork out $500,000 to bail :censored2: to bail him out of a sexual abuse scandal.

How about :censored2: in Chicago who is an active member of the Chicago Outfit. Or the :censored2: in LOcal 82 (Boston area) that had been a part of organized crime and beating up members? The local got dissolved and merged into Local 25 without a vote from the members. The head of Local 25 is no other than a Boston gangster by the name of :censored2: due to their ties to organized crime. The "Wonder Boy" :censored2: himself got hit by the IRB last year for trying to intimidate members who formed a slate to run against their incompetent leaders he had backed.

These are just a few. There are many more I have not mentioned. But taking the right of the members to vote would be a smart move by Hoffa after their :censored2: up at UPS and freight.

You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information.

Ron Carey lives on

I will give junior this, he is hell of a politician. If voting rights are threatening you and your cronies jobs, go after the rights. Sound familiar. Kind of like the republican party's attacks on voters. He never ceases to amaze me, with his arrogance, and take it or leave it attude. I see he is in a big organizing campaign against Taylor farms (which is needed), but as Jack Nicholson playing his father in the movie "Hoffa" said " he knows the words but don't know the music". The timing of going after the IRB after the cluster :censored2: contract at ups is laughable. Wake up and smell the zhit junior is shoveling you

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information.
Maybe I'm missing something or the posts have already been moderated, but are you saying we can't refer to elected public officials by their full name, title and location?

Ron Carey lives on

A wise local president once told me the best way to organize " is to represent your members to the fullest, satified members will do half the organizing for you" . Organizing is crucial, but servicing your existing members is just as important or more. Ups members pay more dues than any other teamsters. If we sound like we want more bang for our buck, its because we do!! State panels and J.A.C s are a complete mess. Fix some problems in your own back yard before you go knocking on your neighbors door. I don't give a zhit if you are a hoffa guy or tdu guy, this union starts with service of the rank and file. You want votes, solve problems. You want votes, inform members, you want votes, treat members with repect as a pier, try to relate to their trade. There is nothing wrong with being professional, but don't sound like ups management when you talk to members. WE DONT RECOGNIZE UPS NUMBERS IBT small package division. Its about the members, not about the officers jobs. If you are living above your means old guard, dont take it out the member's democracy. Go into ups upper management

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Read post #6.
I read it and don't see the problem?
Again, these are all elected, public union officials.
When you enter that arena, people will refer to you by name and I wouldn't think the TOS protects them from being mentioned in a post, unless someone is making the assertion that these people are members of the forum under an anonymous user name.

If this is the case, Hoffa and Obama have a beef under the TOS.
I'm not critisizing or questioning a moderators decision, rather just trying to understand the rule.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
WE'RE ALREADY SEEN THE ACTIONS OF (S .W)AND OTHER. THERE THINGS ,THEY DON'T WANT US TO KNOW!,TIME HAS COME AND GONE,THEY'RE OUTRIGHT HOSTILE AND THEIR ONLY INTEREST IS TO BENEFIT THOSE AT THE TOP AND PUT MORE MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS AT OUR EXPENSE WITH OUT ANYONE FIGHT ON OUR BEHALF.

Stonefish

I read it and don't see the problem?
Again, these are all elected, public union officials.
When you enter that arena, people will refer to you by name and I wouldn't think the TOS protects them from being mentioned in a post, unless someone is making the assertion that these people are members of the forum under an anonymous user name.

If this is the case, Hoffa and Obama have a beef under the TOS.
I'm not critisizing or questioning a moderators decision, rather just trying to understand the rule.
How are you kid? Haven't had the opportunity to chat in a while.