HOFFA , HALL AND OBRIEN campaign announcement

Where I'm from the maintenance and mechanics that work for UPS get over $6000 a month pension. tywts the kind of contribution that ups puts in a pension and what we could be getting without being in a multi employer pension fund. Upsers getting 3000 was a rip off and Ron Carey knew it.

10 point

That's upsers. Carey got it raised across the board. Those companies were hemorrhaging money going out of business. I'm not saying those other members didn't deserve 3000 but it wasn't sustainable there employers contributions didn't warrant 3000 across the board and Ron Carey knew this. He wanted to get reelected so he raised it across the board. He friend*ed the whole fund. Ron Carey Go bless his soul friend$$$ed the whole first me and a lot of people.
I understand that but I responded on your post that it was his idea when it was in response to the huge increase offered by the company.
It was a bad move, agreed, but I don't think Ron wanted to raise it otherwise.

If my bank savings account goes dry the bank shouldn't be able to drain someone else's savings that I didn't own.

This issue has continued under the current administration too.

I understand that but I responded on your post that it was his idea when it was in response to the huge increase offered by the company.
It was a bad move, agreed, but I don't think Ron wanted to raise it otherwise.

If my bank savings account goes dry the bank shouldn't be able to drain someone else's savings that I didn't own.

This issue has continued under the current administration too.
You wouldn't had to drain the bank account if they would've been responsible and gave each member what they were owed with their contribution.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Inquiring minds have already figured it out and by the way, it is indeed 5 decades, 40+ years, but 5 decades.
70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.

Is that what schools are teaching the kids nowadays ?

40 years = 5 decades, interesting.

(Maybe its TDU math)

There is a difference;

Being around during 5 (different) decades.... is not the same, as being around for 5 decades.

Schools out. :biggrin:

-Bug-

10 point

(Maybe its TDU math)

There is a difference;

Being around during 5 (different) decades.... is not the same, as being around for 5 decades.

-Bug-
4.5 kids=5 kids?

We always round up at ups. :)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

(Maybe its TDU math)

There is a difference;

-Bug-

Could it be this type of disinformation that has enabled TDU to persist into its 5th decade?

While I agree with the semantics of what you're saying, I would ask that you not take that one sentence out of context (for once) and consider what I posted during the entire exchange, during multiple posts.

In the end I think we can all agree that 40+ years, spanning over 5 decades is a long time for what you characterize as a "mickey mouse operation".

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's upsers. Carey got it raised across the board. Those companies were hemorrhaging money going out of business. I'm not saying those other members didn't deserve 3000 but it wasn't sustainable there employers contributions didn't warrant 3000 across the board and Ron Carey knew this. He wanted to get reelected so he raised it across the board. He friend*ed the whole fund. Ron Carey Go bless his soul friend$$$ed the whole first me and a lot of people.
Be that as it may, and I'm not entirely sure that this was is the case, but Ron Carey surely didn't envision the downward spiral our union has experienced since this decision and his subsequent untimely departure.
Perhaps he envisioned a union that would expand its scope and actually increase its membership? Who knows?

What I find puzzling is that your indictment only includes Ron Carey and not Hoffa who became IBT President just one year later and has been in that seat ever since?

Why hasn't Hoffa made the necessary corrections in subsequent contracts to stave off, what is now, the government having to come in and clean up yet another Teamster mess?

Last edited:
Be that as it may, and I'm not entirely sure that this was is the case, but Ron Carey surely didn't envision the downward spiral our union has experienced since this decision and his subsequent untimely departure.
Perhaps he envisioned a union that would expand its scope and actually increase its membership? Who knows?

What I find puzzling is that your indictment only includes Ron Carey and not Hoffa who became IBT President just one year later and has been in that seat ever since?

Why hasn't Hoffa made the necessary corrections in subsequent contracts to stave off, what is now, the government having to come in and clean up yet another Teamster mess?
I don't think the law would allow Hoffa to switch it back needles to say how the membership would react to him cutting it two years later.

Ron Carey lives on

I noticed no one acknowledging the fact that hoffa not eligible to run in 89. How quick hoffaites forget hall was by Carey's side, then jumped to hoffa, if Tim picks up steam, I look for him to jump ship again. Hall goes where he will keep a job

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Hoffa 1- pension, Hall 3- pensions, O'Brien - at least 2, the thousands of officials drawing multiple pensions had a lot to do with the decline of Central States, blame it on Carey, thats the easy way out. Ridiculous. Don't forget the hoffas old buddies the Hogan s. Wake up

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't think the law would allow Hoffa to switch it back needles to say how the membership would react to him cutting it two years later.
So are you saying that for almost 17 years Hoffa was powerless, by law, to do anything to protect the Central States Pension Plan, knowing that Ron Carey overextended the financial parameters of the plan in 1997?

Or, are you saying that Hoffa knew it would be political suicide, and did nothing to right the ship, knowing that the plan was "unsustainable"?

Either way, I call :bsbullf:

So are you saying that for almost 17 years Hoffa was powerless, by law, to do anything to protect the Central States Pension Plan, knowing that Ron Carey overextended the financial parameters of the plan in 1997?

Or, are you saying that Hoffa knew it would be political suicide, and did nothing to right the ship, knowing that the plan was "unsustainable"?

Either way, I call :bsbullf:
You are the conspiracy theory king so whatever you want it to be it will be in your own mind. You are the smartest guy in the room as always. :)

Inthegame

Hoffa 1- pension, Hall 3- pensions, O - at least 2, the thousands of officials drawing multiple pensions had a lot to do with the decline of Central States, blame it on Carey, thats the easy way out. Ridiculous. Don't forget the hoffas old buddies the Hogan s. Wake up

Sent using BrownCafe App
This is where the Hoffa hatred gets people off track. Multiple pensions don't come from the same bucket, so even if the named parties enjoy the alleged pensions, that hasn't had any impact on the Central States decline.
Lead Belly's issue is valid as Ron Carey pushed hard for the "service pension model" (25, 30 and outs) on plans designed to pay at target ages 60 or 65. When you start paying early, the principal (reserves) diminish that much faster causing great stress to overperform the market. Worked fine in the nineties when monkeys made money investing, not so much since then.
Take UPS out in 2007, market crash in 2008, and here we are.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are the conspiracy theory king so whatever you want it to be it will be in your own mind. You are the smartest guy in the room as always. :)

It was your conspiracy theory, not mine.
I'm just asking questions that you can't seem to answer.
Perhaps you should call me TDU now?
Maybe post a photo-shopped picture?

This is where the Hoffa hatred gets people off track. Multiple pensions don't come from the same bucket, so even if the named parties enjoy the alleged pensions, that hasn't had any impact on the Central States decline.
Lead Belly's issue is valid as Ron Carey pushed hard for the "service pension model" (25, 30 and outs) on plans designed to pay at target ages 60 or 65. When you start paying early, the principal (reserves) diminish that much faster causing great stress to overperform the market. Worked fine in the nineties when monkeys made money investing, not so much since then.
Take UPS out in 2007, market crash in 2008, and here we are.
I'm not saying Ron Carey wasn't a great union man he just didn't have the long term interest of the retires and active members in the fund ready for the long term. With what he did it turned it into a Ponzi scheme.