Hoffa on self driving trucks

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm just going to drop this here and see if anyone has anything to say about it. The self driving technology is already out there, so there's that...

Self-driving California off the fiscal cliff: Doug McIntyre - Daily News

“It’s not going to happen” won’t protect Jim Hoffa’s drivers from losing their jobs to self-driving vehicles and pretending Jerry Brown’s “temporary” tax hikes returned California to fiscal solvency is as delusional as the most vehement climate change or Holocaust denier trying to spin their way past empirical facts.

Dr.Brownz

One guy crashes. UPS fires that guy, the rest of the trucks roll on

One of UPS's automatons crashes, suddenly the entire systems safety is called into question, no packages move for days, weeks, months.....????? $$$$$

Junkguy

One guy crashes. UPS fires that guy, the rest of the trucks roll on

One of UPS's automatons crashes, suddenly the entire systems safety is called into question, no packages move for days, weeks, months.....????? $$$$$
I agree. The railroad has had the ability to get rid of engineers for years but they're afraid to do it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Yeah right. Till UPS says we need autonomous vehicles. Then Hoffa will roll over and concede to what ever UPS asks. Been there way too many times

LeadBelly

Banned
I'm just going to drop this here and see if anyone has anything to say about it. The self driving technology is already out there, so there's that...

“It’s not going to happen” won’t protect Jim H’s drivers from losing their jobs to self-driving vehicles and pretending Jerry Brown’s “temporary” tax hikes returned California to fiscal solvency is as delusional as the most vehement climate change or Holocaust denier trying to spin their way past empirical facts.
What do you think? Do you think h is gonna join your site and give you his take?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Teamster’s Chief Says Self-Driving Vehicles “Not Going to Happen” - KABC

Forget all that talk about self-driving vehicles eventually wiping out four million professional driver jobs. Jimmy Hoffa, Jr., General President of the Teamsters, says it’s a lot of hype.

“You really want a giant 14-wheeler remotely? C’mon. It’s not going to happen. I think there’s a lot of hoopla about that. I see it on TV all the time. The media loves to talk about it. I don’t see it happening. I don’t intend to have someone else drive my car.”

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Teamster’s Chief Says Self-Driving Vehicles “Not Going to Happen” - KABC

Forget all that talk about self-driving vehicles eventually wiping out four million professional driver jobs. Jimmy Hoffa, Jr., General President of the Teamsters, says it’s a lot of hype.

“You really want a giant 14-wheeler remotely? C’mon. It’s not going to happen. I think there’s a lot of hoopla about that. I see it on TV all the time. The media loves to talk about it. I don’t see it happening. I don’t intend to have someone else drive my car.”
Surprise surprise an old man with his head in the sand.

rod

Retired 22 years
When the day comes when the feeders are loaded by robots and are driven on auto pilot and the trucks are loaded by robots into self driving package cars you DON"T want to be the first human in the chain of command in charge of all this BS. You will be blamed for everything. The days of blaming the drivers for not making the numbers will be over.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

“It’s not going to happen” won’t protect Jim Hoffa’s drivers from losing their jobs to self-driving vehicles and pretending Jerry Brown’s “temporary” tax hikes returned California to fiscal solvency is as delusional as the most vehement climate change or Holocaust denier trying to spin their way past empirical facts.
Whaaaaa! "I don't have a dog in this fight", my ass!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Whaaaaa! "I don't have a dog in this fight", my ass!
I heard the interview while listening to a morning talkradio show. I had never heard Hoffa speak before. He seemed articulate, until the guy interviewing him asked him about self driving vehicles. To say it's never going to happen is ridiculous. That technology is here and doesn't necessarily replace a human job.

Self-Driving Trucks Will Actually Be Great For Truckers, For Now | Huffington Post

Self-driving semi hits the road

Self-driving trucks: what's the future for America's 3.5 million truckers?

Faceplanted

What you guys don't understand is self driving vehicles are already much safer then the alternative. Ups will have insurance just as they do now.

It'd hilarious how many people don't understand that right now there are self driving vehicles that in general and on average are safer than a person behind the wheel

dudebro

H is in a political position, and so he said what he believes his constituents want to hear. That's all. It doesn't have anything to do with whether there will really be a transformation of the industry or not.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
What you guys don't understand is self driving vehicles are already much safer then the alternative. Ups will have insurance just as they do now.

It'd hilarious how many people don't understand that right now there are self driving vehicles that in general and on average are safer than a person behind the wheel
So put your kids in one and send them off to school