Hoffa on self driving trucks

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by cheryl, Oct 5, 2016.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

I'm just going to drop this here and see if anyone has anything to say about it. The self driving technology is already out there, so there's that...

Self-driving California off the fiscal cliff: Doug McIntyre - Daily News

“It’s not going to happen” won’t protect Jim Hoffa’s drivers from losing their jobs to self-driving vehicles and pretending Jerry Brown’s “temporary” tax hikes returned California to fiscal solvency is as delusional as the most vehement climate change or Holocaust denier trying to spin their way past empirical facts.
  2. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

One guy crashes. UPS fires that guy, the rest of the trucks roll on

One of UPS's automatons crashes, suddenly the entire systems safety is called into question, no packages move for days, weeks, months.....????? $$$$$
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Junkguy

Junkguy Member

I agree. The railroad has had the ability to get rid of engineers for years but they're afraid to do it.
  4. rod

rod retired and happy

You HAVE to have a human to blame when something goes wrong. Inanimate objects don't make good scape-goats.
  5. PASinterference

PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

True, but you know ups wants to try it soooooo bad.
  6. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Yeah right. Till UPS says we need autonomous vehicles. Then Hoffa will roll over and concede to what ever UPS asks. Been there way too many times
  7. LeadBelly2.0

LeadBelly2.0 Vote Hoffa hall

What do you think? Do you think h is gonna join your site and give you his take?
  8. cheryl

Teamster’s Chief Says Self-Driving Vehicles “Not Going to Happen” - KABC

Forget all that talk about self-driving vehicles eventually wiping out four million professional driver jobs. Jimmy Hoffa, Jr., General President of the Teamsters, says it’s a lot of hype.

“You really want a giant 14-wheeler remotely? C’mon. It’s not going to happen. I think there’s a lot of hoopla about that. I see it on TV all the time. The media loves to talk about it. I don’t see it happening. I don’t intend to have someone else drive my car.”
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Surprise surprise an old man with his head in the sand.
  10. rod

rod retired and happy

When the day comes when the feeders are loaded by robots and are driven on auto pilot and the trucks are loaded by robots into self driving package cars you DON"T want to be the first human in the chain of command in charge of all this BS. You will be blamed for everything. The days of blaming the drivers for not making the numbers will be over.
  11. wide load

wide load Well-Known Member

Whaaaaa! "I don't have a dog in this fight", my ass!
  12. cheryl

I heard the interview while listening to a morning talkradio show. I had never heard Hoffa speak before. He seemed articulate, until the guy interviewing him asked him about self driving vehicles. To say it's never going to happen is ridiculous. That technology is here and doesn't necessarily replace a human job.

Self-Driving Trucks Will Actually Be Great For Truckers, For Now | Huffington Post

Self-driving semi hits the road

Self-driving trucks: what's the future for America's 3.5 million truckers?
  13. tonyexpress

tonyexpress Whac-A-Troll Patrol Staff Member

14. LeadBelly2.0

When she made that statement and then contradicts it it kind of makes you wonder.
  15. LeadBelly2.0

Like you're an expert. You hold no union affiliation. Just because you are from California or live in the most unionized state doesn't make you union by default.
  16. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

What you guys don't understand is self driving vehicles are already much safer then the alternative. Ups will have insurance just as they do now.

It'd hilarious how many people don't understand that right now there are self driving vehicles that in general and on average are safer than a person behind the wheel
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. dudebro

dudebro Active Member

H is in a political position, and so he said what he believes his constituents want to hear. That's all. It doesn't have anything to do with whether there will really be a transformation of the industry or not.
  18. sandwich

sandwich Active Member

So put your kids in one and send them off to school
  19. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Lets do this.... with 80,000 lbs trucks.
  20. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

I would have no problem. Statistically they are Safer than cars driven by humans. I don't understand people's irrational fear of the self driving car

How many self driving miles did all Tesla log before a fatality? The ratio is safer than cars driven by a human.

Google's Self-Driving Cars Are Ridiculously Safe