Hola! Have I already been laid off?

borealis21

Hey guys, new PT-preloader here.

I hope I can get some advice for my issue.

I was hired @ the end of Jan. and worked a total of 1 1/2 weeks until I was told to not expect to work again until the middle of May. Is this normal?

I checked in continuously for a month until they told me not to bother, but have recently started calling in again. I'm told to expect work soon from my sup; but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I'm pretty curious on how this effects my seniority & union initiation.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hi @borealis21

Welcome to the community.

I'm going to move your post into the UPS Discussions forum because you're more likely to get an answer there.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you didn't make seniority before they said they didn't have work for you, you're not officially laid off & no guarantee of recall, however if you did a good job they'll likely have you back when they have work.

PT Car Washer

It depends what local your building is in. And yes...it's normal to be laid off from January thru March or April.
You think it is normal for a new preloader to work 1 1/2 weeks and be laid off for 3 months? My building works double shifters almost year round on the preload. I sure hope b 21 didn't stop looking for a job. I think you lost this job after the first week and a half. Don't feel bad. May have done you a favor. At least you didn't suffer long.

borealis21

Thanks @cheryl .

Yeah things seem grim, although the regional HR guy who got me hired seems pissed they haven't been working me. I'm sure he has my back if they stay stubborn.
But if my seniority hasn't changed; what's to keep this from happening again?

What would you guys do?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Thanks @cheryl .

Yeah things seem grim, although the regional HR guy who got me hired seems pissed they haven't been working me. I'm sure he has my back if they stay stubborn.

What would you guys do?
Just remember that no one in management has your back.

HubBub

Sounds like you're in a very small building. If that's the case I'd check the fulltime prospects before committing yourself, otherwise you could be PT for a loooong time.

PT Car Washer

Thanks @cheryl .

What would you guys do?
Keep looking for a better job. You do not have any seniority.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You think it is normal for a new preloader to work 1 1/2 weeks and be laid off for 3 months? My building works double shifters almost year round on the preload. I sure hope b 21 didn't stop looking for a job. I think you lost this job after the first week and a half. Don't feel bad. May have done you a favor. At least you didn't suffer long.
In january? Yes, very normal....they usually start bringing them back around this time....but many don't last through the summer before quitting.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I know all hubs are different but I always found it strange that they don't work people for long periods of time like this. We seriously run full staff all year long, numerous people working double shifts and we never hire more than we need. It's just an odd tactic to hire people and not use them.

PT Car Washer

I know all hubs are different but I always found it strange that they don't work people for long periods of time like this. We seriously run full staff all year long, numerous people working double shifts and we never hire more than we need. It's just an odd tactic to hire people and not use them.
And for a PT minimum wage job with no benefits. Why would someone wait months for a call back.