Holiday disaster looms as UPS, FedEx overloaded after online shopping soars

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Holiday disaster looms as UPS, FedEx overloaded after online shopping soars - Business Insider

An unexpected surge in online purchases is putting pressure on UPS and FedEx to get packages out on time this holiday season, and that could result in extra costs for retailers.

An executive at one fulfillment company – which picks and packages customer orders for retailers – told Business Insider that packages in New Jersey and California are sitting in trucks outside of FedEx and UPS hubs, and waiting several days to be unloaded and processed.

The person, who asked not to be identified, explained that shoppers tracking the package will only see that a label was created, but not that it was picked up by UPS or FedEx. That won't happen until the package is unloaded from the trucks at the distribution facilities.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I think this article is fantastic. Maybe it will wake people up to the fact that they can't order something December 23 and think it will arrive the next day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Surge pricing should curb consumer stupidity
I don't blame the consumers for ordering a ton of stuff. The ups man dropped off 5 packages at my house yesterday.

However they have to understand a company isn't going to pump billions into infastructire for 20 days worth of volume. And really probably only 5-7 really heavy days.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't blame the consumers for ordering a ton of stuff. The ups man dropped off 5 packages at my house yesterday.

However they have to understand a company isn't going to pump billions into infastructire for 20 days worth of volume. And really probably only 5-7 really heavy days.

I blame the shippers for promising their customers that we can work miracles, and both UPS and FedEx for not "putting their foot down".

Brownslave688

I blame the shippers for promising their customers that we can work miracles, and both UPS and FedEx for not "putting their foot down".
The shippers have the perfect set up promise away if it fails it won't be on you. I don't really blame them. That's how the business world works. I blame ups and fedex for not better informing the public.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Shipping will stay "free" the cost will just be built into the product price.

I'm not sure about that. With the economy tanking, people have become very good at comparison shopping and using coupons. They might not want the price built I to an item. They might want to have it broken down for them so they can compare.

Returntosender

I'm not sure about that. With the economy tanking, people have become very good at comparison shopping and using coupons. They might not want the price built I to an item. They might want to have it broken down for them so they can compare.
Some big box retailers also price match with Amazon. Instead of dealing with a possible delay with your online order. They just walk into the store price match.

Brownslave688

It's always built in even now. Someone is paying the shipping bill

oldngray

nowhere special
Some big box retailers also price match with Amazon. Instead of dealing with a possible delay with your online order. They just walk into the store price match.

You do take the risk of the store not having the item in stock at the last minute. The best option is still to shop early enough and not wait until the last minute. People need to learn they can't wait until the 23th and still expect to get that Playstation for little Billy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Plus, if shipping is rolled into product price, then shipping cost will be taxed.