Home defense weapon preference

Brownsfan

I am getting an alarm installed next Friday. I am thinking about getting a pistol or shotgun to complement the alarm. What's your weapon of choice? Also do you have any tips on home defense?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I am getting an alarm installed next Friday. I am thinking about getting a pistol or shotgun to complement the alarm. What's your weapon of choice? Also do you have any tips on home defense?
Get a Doberman that's home defense lol.
dobie 1.png
That big bitch will eat you for a snack lmfao

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
pistol grip only or pistol grip with a stick as well?
This particular gun came with 2 interchangeable barrels (1 long and 1 short, as well as the pistol grip.) So it can be a regular hunting shotgun or a home defense weapon with the aid of a long screwdriver. For whatever reason, I could never hit any birds with it. My 870 wingmaster did the job there. I leave the pistol grip and short barrel on it exclusively now.

Z

ZQXC

Desert Eagle 50

Intruder is coming down a dark hallway. You are waiting and ready at the other end.

oldngray

nowhere special
This particular gun came with 2 interchangeable barrels (1 long and 1 short, as well as the pistol grip.) So it can be a regular hunting shotgun or a home defense weapon with the aid of a long screwdriver. For whatever reason, I could never hit any birds with it. My 870 wingmaster did the job there. I leave the pistol grip and short barrel on it exclusively now.

A shotgun with a short barrel is definitely the best choice. I also have a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. I tried also adding a pistol grip fore end which did help aiming but I didn't like the feel of it so switched it back to original fore end and pistol grip stock. The Mossbergs are very easy to customize. My dad gave me one when I was 12 so I grew up shooting one. I have another for hunting but now my preferred hunting shotgun is a Mossberg 9200 which feels and points like a 500 to me but is an auto.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
A shotgun with a short barrel is definitely the best choice. I also have a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. I tried also adding a pistol grip fore end which did help aiming but I didn't like the feel of it so switched it back to original fore end and pistol grip stock. The Mossbergs are very easy to customize. My dad gave me one when I was 12 so I grew up shooting one. I have another for hunting but now my preferred hunting shotgun is a Mossberg 9200 which feels and points like a 500 to me but is an auto.

Nothing says, "You just broke into the wrong house" like the sound of a shell being chambered into a pump shotgun.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I have two dogs who bark at any stranger so I always find comfort in that. I have a smith and wesson sd9ve that holds 16 rounds, and I have two clips. I keep that in my sock drawer. Then I have a remington 20 gauge under the bed. I have a lot of guns but I keep the rest in my man cave. Honestly though if I were you I'd just get a 38. That has always been my families go to self defense gun for the home. It's easy enough for your wife/gf to use if they are home alone. Just get hollow point rounds for whatever you get and it really won't matter what you are shooting. Make sure to keep away from children, and never point it at anyone even if it is unloaded.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've got a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a pistol grip for my first choice for home defense.
I have three Mossberg 500 12 gauge which is voted the best home defense weapon by most people.
I have a pistol grip and 2 regular stock.
The pistol grip presents the best home defense setup but the kick is really terrible. I wrapped a doubled-up wash cloth and taped around the back of the pistol grip. This keeps it from bruising my hand. Didn't bother me as much at 40 but does at 60 years old.
I alternate sabot slugs and #00 buckshot.
I also have a 2 20 gauge Mossbergs that has much less kick and my wife can tolerate it. It is plenty to stop if you use slugs and buckshot #3. I have 2 of these - a Mossberg Maverick 28"with a full stock and a Mossberg Youth with a shorter stock and 22" barrel. The Youth comes in a 4 shot pump version and a 6 shot as I remember ... I have the 6 shot version.

Note: I chose 20 gauge over .410 due to gun costs and ammunition cost.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have nothing but Youth with the 22" barrel ... handle it like a pistol grip.
I can hang the youth in a loop on my right hip and have 6 inches or more clearance from ground. I like this when I am clearing brush or hiking through heavy tree/brush - I call it my snake gun.
Note: I say this with the following qualification - Home defense and snake gun is my use. If you want to use for bird (dove, etc) hunting or other hunting, I have to defer to others with experience in this area.

I also have four 9mm I use mainly for carry and on-road motel defense. I will go for a shotgun every time over a pistol if I can choose.

slappyhappy

Tactical type shotgun is the way to go if for home defense only. If you want something that's good for home and something to go shoot on the weekends, an ar 15 or a handgun is good. Glock in my opinion.

Brownsfan

Thanks so much for all the tips. It sounds like I need about 10 shotguns, 3 pistols and 2 dogs for optimal safety. Lol.

Do any of you have bad :censored2: flashlights or lasers on your rigs?

Brownsfan

I have two dogs who bark at any stranger so I always find comfort in that. I have a smith and wesson sd9ve that holds 16 rounds, and I have two clips. I keep that in my sock drawer. Then I have a remington 20 gauge under the bed. I have a lot of guns but I keep the rest in my man cave. Honestly though if I were you I'd just get a 38. That has always been my families go to self defense gun for the home. It's easy enough for your wife/gf to use if they are home alone. Just get hollow point rounds for whatever you get and it really won't matter what you are shooting. Make sure to keep away from children, and never point it at anyone even if it is unloaded.
The 38 is intriguing cause i think my wife could handle it easier than a shotgun. Probably get both.