Honking the horn at every stop?

All Day

I know they have told us to this over the last year or so, but it seems they are going all out this year to have us do this because its a "safety issue."

I was just wondering if all you guys follow this practice? And does it annoy any of your customers?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've had people tell me not to honk the horn. Only do this at resis. I do not call out UPS when I walk into a building, unlike the Supe that rides with me. After 17 years my customers realize I'm the UPS guy.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
At least here in Oregon, using the horn in such a manner is a violation of state law which says that the horn is only to be used as a warning device.

I try to let common sense guide my actions. Sometimes it makes sense to honk. Other times, it doesnt.

rushfan

It was part of the delivery methods used long ago. Not so much for safety, but to get the attention of the consignee.

Leftinbuilding

I've had people tell me not to honk the horn. Only do this at resis. I do not call out UPS when I walk into a building, unlike the Supe that rides with me. After 17 years my customers realize I'm the UPS guy.

That was always embarrassing to me. I del'd a rural route for 18 years and, like you said, my customers knew me for crying out loud. We could be the only people in the business, in fact, the only car on the road, and the supe would yell, "UPS". My customers would look at me and I would just smile, and ask about their kids Little League games. The day following a ride was always tough because everyone wanted to laugh about it.

Had a sup go into a business with me once and yell out "UPS", people just looked at him and laughed. One guy even said, "OH, I thought y'all were FedEx". For the next two weeks, everyday when I went in, someone would yell. " UPSSSSSSSSSSSSS".

funny, but it got old too.

over9five

Staff member
I'm sorry, but they just don't live in the real world when they think it somehow helps by yelling and honking.

The yelling makes us look like idiots, and the honking only annoys people.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My delivery area has a lot of people who sleep during the day because they work the night shift. About the only time I honk my horn is if I am backing up or I have a signature required package. The neighborhood dog alarm system usually lets everybody know when I'm around..

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My delivery area has a lot of people who sleep during the day because they work the night shift. About the only time I honk my horn is if I am backing up or I have a signature required package. The neighborhood dog alarm system usually lets everybody know when I'm around..
Yes!
I will announce myself if there is no one immediately present.
It was part of the delivery methods used long ago. Not so much for safety, but to get the attention of the consignee.
If the sound of the truck doesn't get their attention then the dogs do. Or the slamming of the bulkhead door. LOL

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Here, you better blow the damn horn at each and every Res stop. And you better call out UPS when the package hits the ground. At businesses, it's just walk in and say hello.

local804

At least here in Oregon, using the horn in such a manner is a violation of state law which says that the horn is only to be used as a warning device.

Same here
There are plenty of signs posted stating there is a $350. fine for horn blowing not in that manner.

bigblu 2 you

i love yelling out ups at funeral homes and libraries.as far as the horn goes i only tap it to get the attention of hot chicks nearby<eye contact-make sure they see you kinda stuff>.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
On my umpteenth one day OJS last week, center manager says I should knock on the Apt. door while shouting UPS and then read the name on the pkg, calling out the name loudly and saying I have a pkg for Blank Blank. When I knock on an Apt door, I have my notices ready and if they don't answer in MY time limit, that pkg gets left at the office. I'm not going to stand there and talk at a door of an Apt. that has no one home.:happy2: