Hoot-Hoot

Dustyroads

Years ago in our center we had a seasonal driver who was hoping to impress our boss, hoping against hope that he would be made a permanent driver. We were about half way into peak and the center was starting to bring back undeliverable packages, and the morning meeting was all about "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" and "getting it all delivered, whatever the cost."

Likewise, this was before the days of cellphones and the DIAD. So, 10pm comes and the guy isn't back. Then it's 11, and 12. The sup on duty calls the center manager to ask what are we going to do about this. The center manager...trying to get a couple hours of sleep before having to be at the center says, don't call me, call the sheriff. So, the sup calls the sheriff's office and reports the guy missing. Around 2 am a call comes in from the sheriff's department, the guy has been located, delivering in a subdivision. And, the sheriff's deputy has a question for the ups sup, he wants to know, should he try to finish up before he comes in?

Christmas eve, not before, he got his termination papers.

rocket man

9 am to 1055 . that was in august. thats what happens when you follow every method. Lately some drivers in our bldg 715 to 10 pm this month.

GeorgiaBrown

One peak a few years ago a driver was terribly overdispatched and was told not to go over 10.5 hours as this would put him over the max hours for the week.... this happened on a friday I believe..... so he comes in with about 50 stops left.. all residential... so two on car supes load up their personal vehicles and deliver the packages basically blind and finish up at about 2 am.......I am cool with one of them and he told me he was nervous as hell about creeping around peoples front porch past midnite tripping their motion sensors..... thought he was gonna catch a slug or something....good guy though......the division manager told him if he wanted his job he would make service on those packages .... then he promptly went home....nice

Hangingon

A few decades ago we had a driver fall asleep on his route. No one noticed until we received a phone call about 2 AM from the phone center. People were complaining about a driver ringing their doorbells to get a signature. Took about 10 mins to figure out who we were missing, then we had to wake the sup so he could go find him. He finally rolled in with the sup behind him about 4AM, and said he was so worried about falling asleep he didn't know what else to do besides just finish the route. Few years later he was in mgm't, guess they appreciated the gung ho attitude.

Black_6_Leader

Longest day as a service provider was from 07:30hrs to a little after midnight ~ snow storm during peak.

Longest day in management was from 02:00hrs to 06:30hrs the next day ~snow storm and late air (arrived at 16:00 hrs) on Christmas eve.