Hopelessness

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hopelessness is something I have not experienced or observed myself at UPS but I have noticed several people posting about it here on BC.

These are a few things that Dilligaf pointed out that some are hopeless about:

• ever being able to change the system
  • feeling like you can be trusted
  • feeling like you can be appreciated
  • feeling like you can be heard

I would be interested in what other UPSers consider to be hopeless situations to them and why that is important to them and what can they do about it.

Last edited:

texan

You are right sir. Nothing is hopeless.
Something I almost find little hope in.
UPS and FDX having the same rules. ie Railroad Labor Act

bbsam

Staff member
Grant me the
Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference.

Simple formula for living with hopelessness.

P.S. Good luck you God-denying athiests!:consoling:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hopelessness is something I have not experienced or observed myself at UPS but I have noticed several people posting about it here on BC.

These are a few things that Dilligaf pointed out that some are hopeless about:
  • ever being able to change the system
  • feeling like you can be trusted
  • feeling like you can be appreciated
  • feeling like you can be heard
I would be interested in what other UPSers consider to be hopeless situations to them and why that is important to them and what can they do about it.
What I have said is not necessarily my way of living. It is more like a way of working. I like my job. It is a challenge to me, everyday. Sometimes it is a healthy challenge and there are days when it simply is a challenge to just come to work. This past week has been one of those weeks, everyday. But it is NOT a way of living. It is NOT my way of living. If you want to do this thread then give credit where credit is due. That other poster is Me. Be it good or bad (in your judgement or anyone elses), I want to be heard. I don't like being lied to or about. I don't like being accused of stealing time when all I have ever done is give all of myself to this company, during work hours and all I have ever done was my best. Lord knows I am not a perfect person and I know it as well but I try and all I get for my efforts is a slap in the face.

texan

What I have said is not necessarily my way of living. It is more like a way of working. I like my job. It is a challenge to me, everyday. Sometimes it is a healthy challenge and there are days when it simply is a challenge to just come to work. This past week has been one of those weeks, everyday. But it is NOT a way of living. It is NOT my way of living. If you want to do this thread then give credit where credit is due. That other poster is Me. Be it good or bad (in your judgement or anyone elses), I want to be heard. I don't like being lied to or about. I don't like being accused of stealing time when all I have ever done is give all of myself to this company, during work hours and all I have ever done was my best. Lord knows I am not a perfect person and I know it as well but I try and all I get for my efforts is a slap in the face.

May you be vendicated. May Truth prevail. oh oh now for a smiley face :youreright:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can accept being in a hopeless situation when the cause of that situation is beyond UPS's control.

I have a much more difficult time accepting a hopeless situation that arises when I or one of my co-workers has been intentionally set up to fail by an incompetent management person or persons for the sole purpose of looking good on some report or complying with some pointless corporate edict.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I did not want to quote you out of context or thread but I did go back and attribute the posts to you.

The things you ask for are what we all want and should get. I am lucky to report to someone who does that and I try to myself.
I know that many at UPS do not have this type of relationship or honest management.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I did not want to quote you out of context or thread but I did go back and attribute the posts to you.

The things you ask for are what we all want and should get. I am lucky to report to someone who does that and I try to myself.
I know that many at UPS do not have this type of relationship or honest management.
Don't take this the wrong way but if you are "lucky enough to report to someone who does" then how can you possibly understand where I am coming from? Nothing personal, I'm just trying to get you to understand that that is where the hopelessness comes in.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't take this the wrong way but if you are "lucky enough to report to someone who does" then how can you possibly understand where I am coming from? Nothing personal, I'm just trying to get you to understand that that is where the hopelessness comes in.

I have reported to over 20 people so far. I can relate ... believe me. To some extent it is is the person and not the environment but the environment does affect the middling people to go one way or the other.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have reported to over 20 people so far. I can relate ... believe me. To some extent it is is the person and not the environment but the environment does affect the middling people to go one way or the other.
I had to contemplate this for a few.............................

It is the environment as well as the person but it is also the placement on the totem pole. The closer to the bottom the more crap that piles up and the more it stinks. It's funny that it should be this way. The drivers are at the bottom (in the corporate world) but we are at the top as well. We are the ones that move this company.

texan

It is the environment as well as the person but it is also the placement on the totem pole. The closer to the bottom the more crap that piles up and the more it stinks. It's funny that it should be this way. The drivers are at the bottom (in the corporate world) but we are at the top as well. We are the ones that move this company.
I agree. The end result of UPS is the drivers. No one will ever understand how much every time I see a driver when driving along in my car, I pray and appreciate them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I understand where you are coming from on this but I also see people at higher levels. They are stressed and aging extraordinarily a lot in the last 4 to 5 years.
But it is always the people who are doing the work at the bottom who experience the irrationality and non-valued-added procedures and orders.
This is true of all organizations, especially corporations, and the individual experience is mostly determined by their direct leadership.
And while drivers are a very important part of the total service cycle of UPS, drivers are not the only ones making it happen.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I understand where you are coming from on this but I also see people at higher levels. They are stressed and aging extraordinarily a lot in the last 4 to 5 years.
But it is always the people who are doing the work at the bottom who experience the irrationality and non-valued-added procedures and orders.
This is true of all organizations, especially corporations, and the individual experience is mostly determined by their direct leadership.
And while drivers are a very important part of the total service cycle of UPS, drivers are not the only ones making it happen.
I agree that we aren't the only ones making this happen but that's not exactly what I said. I said we move this company. Without the drivers, the packages wouldn't be going anywhere. Without the packages moving, this company wouldn't exist. On the other side of the coin I am not naive enough to think that without the customers we wouldn't be moving packages. The cycle - customers to order - drivers to move the packages. That is the basics of it. I agree - the very basics.

We, the lower level folk, have a general feeling regarding upper management nowadays. It`s much like how folks must have felt about politicians during the Vietnam era. They both made decisions that affected others but in the end if it didn`t work out then "hey, wasn`t my kid".

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

you gotta remember,, those of us who get it, realize that operations level management is pure smoke and mirrors. Ups was different than most of corrupt American business models years ago... Now is a whole different mindset,, IPO greed has changed our business model

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You go to work, you do your best, you quit trying to get the accolades, they sit in an office and gather dust. You pay attention to the number to the left on the or report, and you give up on trying to change it. You go home every night, hug you significant other or your dog, or both, and have a beverage and go to bed, repeat.
I got reprimanded for being rude to customers. I was not, they did not believe me. Said customer called and was going to the building to beat someone arse. I was told to be "careful" with said customer. Do they believe me, nope. Did I get back up Nope.
I was professional, I was at my peak, I was ready, and they smell it. You are on your own, in every way. But anything you do wrong will be held against you.
it is just a customer, it is just a pkg., it is just a job anymore, It is no longer anything to be really proud of. They took that away not you.
Be yourself and enjoy your life. Screw the rest just like the numbers, it is what it is.