Horror stories

Why is it I've only met 1 person who enjoyed their job at UPS?

I've had X district managers tell me they have had to quit because they were either going to kill themselves or someone else.

I've had UPS Drivers show up so mad at their supervisor, they were saying they were going to kill the guy. I guess a family member passed away, and the UPS boss would not let him off early that day. Nice hmmm, death in the family and they still won't let you off ?

I've had center managers tell drivers to knock on our door for a pickup, we are a prefered customer, and wait 10 seconds and leave. The center manager then told them, do not send out another truck. He then went on vacation that evening. Had to contact a district and state manager to get a pickup that day!

I think it's funny, you hardly ever see a UPS driver that does not hate the job.

I've never seen so many employees in one company, say they dislike who they work for.

When you try to get thru to your account manager, it can take months. You call, they say they will send them an email, and it never happens. Takes months for them to return a call.

Was being overbilled once, same thing, took over a week to find someone who had the authority to stop the overbilling.

And why are rates confidential? How big of a discount do big companies get?

FedExer267

You think UPS guys are unhappy just remember it worse at FedEx Ground. I am sure at the end of the day 30 a hour puts them at ease.

FedExer267

Trust me I'd give any UPS guy a month to come to FedEx Ground and I would bet by the end of it they would miss their job. Unless they were the contractor. It's the drivers of contractors that hate their job. Once they would have to file for government assitance to feed their families and get benefits the would probally sing a diffrent tune. I wish I never left

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
This customer has obviously had some negative experiences with our company.

I'm glad to hear someone else is a little concerned about our emotional welfare. I don't see this as an attack.

If his/her other thread was seen as inappropriate, well maybe this is a learning opportunity.

We don't all hate our jobs, and I'm sorry for your negative experiemces. We do appreciate your loyalty.

Ohh come on, who runs this site, UPS? Every driver, EVERY driver I've had except for one, has hated the job. Pure hate. The one exception, he was a new guy, and kinda said it's ok.

I've got calls from customers to buy our products, and they ask do we ship FexED, I say No. Turns out a couple were X UPS drivers, who refuse to ship with UPS because of the nazi mentality they claimed the company has.

I remember before I ever started shipping with UPS. I ran into a girl who's dad was a UPS driver, and she told me about all the stupid little rules he had to obey, or get fired. I did not think much of the story then, but she said it was a terrible job.

Or Drivers complaining they have to meet a certain # of delivers in a certain amount of time. And if it's a blizzard out with the roads a glare of ice, the guy who runs the center thinks you should be able to do teh same amount of stops during blizzard conditoins, that you do in the middle of summer.

Then another story, the one driver was retiring. Guess what he got for his last day on teh job? The center boss rode with him to evaluate him on safety standards. Other drivers have told me its not unusual for UPS to fire guys a year or 2 before
they are scheduled to retire.

The only peole I've talked to who like working for UPS are the Salesmen, and of course salesmen are train liars.

From what the drivers say, its $30 / hour living in a prison. Up before dark, in the truck all day, and always home late, never able to do anything.

I've honestly never heard so many employees who work for one company, dislike the place

I'm really amazed more UPS employees dont go nuts and shoot people

upsgrunt

Count me as the second driver you know that likes their job. Like said before, it is what you make of it and there are many, many quirks that you have to put up with, but you are always in control of how you feel about yourself.

FedExer267

30 dollars a hour living in prison is better than 10 bucks a hour living in a prison where you supposely work for a contractor but are ran by FedEx management. Most people that do this job like it because they are by themselves most of the day. Now I dont know where you get your facts from but if a UPS guy gets fired nine times out of ten he gets his job back unless he commits a crime. FedEx guys show up and get told to hit the bricks just because the manager dosent like the cologne your wearing that day.
You are entitled to your opinion about UPS guys but everyone of them I know like their jobs they say its butt kicking work but when you open your check every Friday and see a check for 1700. and up I am sure that helps them through whatever the center management throws at them. My brother works for UPS and we were comparing checks he doubles and sometimes triples what I make a week.

pretzel_man

Hammer:

I have never disrespected a customer and its not my intent here, but why are you still using UPS?

I don't want to lose a customer but you imply that...
Almost all our people are unhppy.
Management is horrible and corrupt.
That service is poor.
That we have a discriminatory (or reverse discriminatory) attitude. (from another post)
All our sales people are liars.

I already know that we are not the low cost provider and you imply that you are not getting a great discount.

So, when working with customers I always try to fix situations. Generally its one or two small nagging things that they can't get fixed and they just want someone to take care of it.

Generally, they like the company and nearly all its people. They LOVE their driver. Are happy with service but just want something fixed.

In your case the list is so long... I wouldn't know where to start.

So, just curious. Why?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ohh come on, who runs this site, UPS? Every driver, EVERY driver I've had except for one, has hated the job. Pure hate. The one exception, he was a new guy, and kinda said it's ok.

I've got calls from customers to buy our products, and they ask do we ship FexED, I say No. Turns out a couple were X UPS drivers, who refuse to ship with UPS because of the nazi mentality they claimed the company has.

I remember before I ever started shipping with UPS. I ran into a girl who's dad was a UPS driver, and she told me about all the stupid little rules he had to obey, or get fired. I did not think much of the story then, but she said it was a terrible job.

Or Drivers complaining they have to meet a certain # of delivers in a certain amount of time. And if it's a blizzard out with the roads a glare of ice, the guy who runs the center thinks you should be able to do teh same amount of stops during blizzard conditoins, that you do in the middle of summer.

Then another story, the one driver was retiring. Guess what he got for his last day on teh job? The center boss rode with him to evaluate him on safety standards. Other drivers have told me its not unusual for UPS to fire guys a year or 2 before
they are scheduled to retire.

The only peole I've talked to who like working for UPS are the Salesmen, and of course salesmen are train liars.

From what the drivers say, its $30 / hour living in a prison. Up before dark, in the truck all day, and always home late, never able to do anything.

I've honestly never heard so many employees who work for one company, dislike the place

I'm really amazed more UPS employees dont go nuts and shoot people

You obviously are not what you represent yourself as ... probably a UPS employee but not a customer that has never worked for UPS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You obviously are not what you represent yourself as ... probably as UPS employee but not a customer that has never worked for UPS.
Oh no, I'm sure he's just a concerned Samaritan who's having trouble sleeping at night because he's so concerned about those poor UPS workers.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would speculate that the original poster is in a "right to work" state where the union representation for the drivers is either weak or non existant.

Most of the abusive practices he describes do not occur here and would not be tolerated here. My local (162) provides excellent representation to the membership. Grievances are processed in a timely and assertive manner, and my Business Agent appears at our various work locations on a weekly basis to answer questions and discuss ongoing issues with the local management.

We still have issues, of course, and there will always be management people who try to circumvent the contract in order to make their numbers look better....just as there will always be employees who wind up getting fired for breaking the rules. I can truthfully say that, at least in my location, virtually all of the terminations that have been upheld over the years have been justified.

I dont like the harassment and the dishonesty and the corporate BS any more than the next guy does....but I have developed a thick enough skin over the years that I can overlook it for the most part. Its not personal, its business. And, if push comes to shove, I know that I can make my supervisor more miserable than he can ever make me. Fortunately, it never seems to have to come to that.

UPSBluRdg03

Doesnt say much about the drivers to come to a customers place of buisness and bitch and moan about how much they dislike their job and who they work for. I honestly enjoy working for UPS and am proud to put my browns on and service my customers each day. I hope that you soon get a driver that has a better attitude and Im sure the service you get will improve.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Being in a right to work state myself, I'll back up soberups. In addition, working conditions from one area to another can be very different. Before the restructuring, I would guess around half of my driver peers actually enjoyed their job. I have to agree with the statement, too, that much of it is what you make it. It's a tough job. It also has it's rewards.

Or maybe he's just on a really crappy route. But the drivers shouldn't use him as a therapist.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Doesnt say much about the drivers to come to a customers place of buisness and bitch and moan about how much they dislike their job and who they work for. I honestly enjoy working for UPS and am proud to put my browns on and service my customers each day. I hope that you soon get a driver that has a better attitude and Im sure the service you get will improve.

I would agree with you 100% that it is never appropriate for a driver to complain about work issues within earshot of a customer. What happens in the office needs to stay in the office.