Hostile Environment

fethrs

I do not have a copy of the ups policy book and I have not done my research yet with the contract, so apologies in advance. Is there language regarding being fired for creating a hostile environment? Apparantly a sup heard two guys arguing and they were both fired for that. Don't know the details, just want to get some thoughts on this.:dissapointed:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Crisis Management and Workplace Violence Prevention

UPS is committed to a safe working environment, free of threats, intimidation,
and physical harm. Everyone has a right to work in a safe environment
and shares the responsibility for assuring each other’s safety. UPS
has adopted a zero tolerance workplace violence policy. This means
we will investigate and take appropriate action against any threat to a
safe workplace.
UPS prohibits violent behavior including, but not limited to, physical
assaults, fighting, threatening comments, intimidation, and the intentional
or reckless destruction of company, employee, or customer property. Any
comments or behavior that reasonably could be interpreted as an intent to
do harm to people or property will be considered a threat. We also prohibit
the unauthorized possession and/or use of weapons by any employee while
at work, on company property, or while on company business.
Any employee who believes that he or she may be the target of violence
or threats of violence, or is aware of violent or threatening conduct by,
or directed at, a UPS employee that could result in injury to a person or
the destruction of property, has a responsibility to immediately report the
situation to his or her immediate supervisor or manager. If an employee is
unable to or prefers not to contact an immediate supervisor or manager, the
employee can call the UPS Help Line (see “Asking Questions and Voicing
Concerns”).
Additional information is available from your local Security Department.

Last edited by a moderator:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's under Art 37 (a) NM. Whether this a terminating offense would probably depend on what was said during the argument. If there was any threat of violence then yes it is grounds for termination.

kingOFchester

I do not have a copy of the ups policy book and I have not done my research yet with the contract, so apologies in advance. Is there language regarding being fired for creating a hostile environment? Apparantly a sup heard two guys arguing and they were both fired for that. Don't know the details, just want to get some thoughts on this.:dissapointed:
Not sure. Do know I was threatend to be fired about 2 months into my career at UPS.

I was loading 3 cars. Was towrds then end of the shift. Sup sends me to another belt to finish loading a car. The car was messed up. nothing was in order and stuff piled, thrown, all over the place. I was there fo no more then 1 minute when the driver showed up.

Driver: "What the hell are you doing"
KOC: "hey bud, wasn't me, I was just sent......"
Cut off by Driver: "Get the friend off my truck"
KOC: "I was sent here by XXXX and this is how....."
Cut off by driver: "I said get the friend' off my truck"
KOC: "Just doing my job"

Driver comes back with 2 other drivers and says: "look how this a hole is loading my truck"
KOC: "Dude, I am trying to tell you that I didn't load the truck, and second I am not getting off of UPS's truck unless directed by MY sup"

Driver and I start argying even more when his on car sup came over
Oncar: "whats the problem"
Driver: " look how this fool loaded my truck"
KOC: " don't call me a fool you a'hole and maybe if you shut your friend'ing mouth and listen for a moment you will relaize I didn't load the damn truck!"
Oncar: "leave"
KOC: "I am just trying to do my job"
Oncar "is this worth getting fired over?"

I sucked my teeth and left.

Driver:

fethrs

It's under Art 37 (a) NM. Whether this a terminating offense would probably depend on what was said during the argument. If there was any threat of violence then yes it is grounds for termination.
Thanks, from what I understand the sup heard the argument from the office, was not present at the time it started.

fethrs

Crisis Management and Workplace Violence Prevention

UPS is committed to a safe working environment, free of threats, intimidation,
and physical harm. Everyone has a right to work in a safe environment
and shares the responsibility for assuring each other’s safety. UPS
has adopted a zero tolerance workplace violence policy. This means
we will investigate and take appropriate action against any threat to a
safe workplace.
UPS prohibits violent behavior including, but not limited to, physical
assaults, fighting, threatening comments, intimidation, and the intentional
or reckless destruction of company, employee, or customer property. Any
comments or behavior that reasonably could be interpreted as an intent to
do harm to people or property will be considered a threat. We also prohibit
the unauthorized possession and/or use of weapons by any employee while
at work, on company property, or while on company business.
Any employee who believes that he or she may be the target of violence
or threats of violence, or is aware of violent or threatening conduct by,
or directed at, a UPS employee that could result in injury to a person or
the destruction of property, has a responsibility to immediately report the
situation to his or her immediate supervisor or manager. If an employee is
unable to or prefers not to contact an immediate supervisor or manager, the
employee can call the UPS Help Line (see “Asking Questions and Voicing
Concerns”).
Additional information is available from your local Security Department.

I think I will print this out and post it at work, there are sups and co-workers who cuss up a storm. It's unprofessional and unbecoming.

barnyard

KTM rider
I've gotten 1 warning letter and 2 verbal warnings over the years regarding the friend-bomb. Best practice is to 'watch your mouth.'

TB

fethrs

Not sure. Do know I was threatend to be fired about 2 months into my career at UPS.

I was loading 3 cars. Was towrds then end of the shift. Sup sends me to another belt to finish loading a car. The car was messed up. nothing was in order and stuff piled, thrown, all over the place. I was there fo no more then 1 minute when the driver showed up.

Driver: "What the hell are you doing"
KOC: "hey bud, wasn't me, I was just sent......"
Cut off by Driver: "Get the friend off my truck"
KOC: "I was sent here by XXXX and this is how....."
Cut off by driver: "I said get the friend' off my truck"
KOC: "Just doing my job"

Driver comes back with 2 other drivers and says: "look how this a hole is loading my truck"
KOC: "Dude, I am trying to tell you that I didn't load the truck, and second I am not getting off of UPS's truck unless directed by MY sup"

Driver and I start argying even more when his on car sup came over
Oncar: "whats the problem"
Driver: " look how this fool loaded my truck"
KOC: " don't call me a fool you a'hole and maybe if you shut your friend'ing mouth and listen for a moment you will relaize I didn't load the damn truck!"
Oncar: "leave"
KOC: "I am just trying to do my job"
Oncar "is this worth getting fired over?"

I sucked my teeth and left.

Driver:
what did the driver say, did he ever realize you didn't load the truck and what about the guy that did, anyone say anything to him?

barnyard

KTM rider
Oh it's one of my favorite words. So far I haven't gotten into any trouble over it.

One of my regular PU accounts taped together 2- 5 foot long, 6-inch diameter plastic pipes. Then, they made bets on whether I would say:
A. What the eff.
B. Are you effing kidding me.
C. Who the eff is shipping that??

I walked in and said, "So, who's shipping the bong???"

They all yelled, "Noooooooooo!!!!!"

Then told me about the bet and we all laughed.

I told my preloader about it and he said that him and a couple of other preloaders make the same bets when I have really bizarre cuts or a really heavy, bulky load.

Seems that I am kind of predictable.

TB

fethrs

One of my regular PU accounts taped together 2- 5 foot long, 6-inch diameter plastic pipes. Then, they made bets on whether I would say:
A. What the eff.

I told my preloader about it and he said that him and a couple of other preloaders make the same bets when I have really bizarre cuts or a really heavy, bulky load.

TB

a five foot long bong? what the eff?:peaceful:

Ms.PacMan

I think I will print this out and post it at work, there are sups and co-workers who cuss up a storm. It's unprofessional and unbecoming.

JMO - Blowing off steam is better than going postal. Hearing swear words won't hurt you, the alternative because of bottled up stress may hurt you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A. What the eff.

TB

That's pretty funny. That is one thing I never do though, leave an friend bomb with a customer. I might say crap and on a very rare occasion I will say ***** but that is as far as it goes. I will cuss up a blue streak in my truck and I have had a customer approach during such tirades. I even had my sup stick his head in the door when I was cussing him out behind his back. LOL Probably could have gotten in trouble over that but I didn't.

fethrs

JMO - Blowing off steam is better than going postal. Hearing swear words won't hurt you, the alternative because of bottled up stress may hurt you.

That, Ms Pac Man is a very good point, and it brings me back to my original post. I don't think that there was any type of physical threat to anyone involved in the argument. Granted, I was not there so I can only speculate, but to get fired for being heard arguing? Seems a bit harsh to me, maybe I'll have some better info tomorrow.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That, Ms Pac Man is a very good point, and it brings me back to my original post. I don't think that there was any type of physical threat to anyone involved in the argument. Granted, I was not there so I can only speculate, but to get fired for being heard arguing? Seems a bit harsh to me, maybe I'll have some better info tomorrow.
All terminations go to grievance and panel. They will probably get time served and back to work it is.