Hot or Cold?

Do you like working in the Heat or Cold?

• Total voters

HomeDelivery

all that talk about heat & wearing caps...

I rather be in the summer environment than in a winter environment...

I work faster when it's warm:sweating: & I mainly lose weight during this time since I eat light & mainly hydrate during the day

road conditions are mostly dry:plus:

sunlight for most of the day until past 20:00:sunny:

customers in skimpy gear:wink-very:

I get a cool trucker's tan on my left side :likeit:

-----------------------------------------------

winters sucks

since i'm paid by the stop by subcontractors, not by the hour during that time of holiday peak...

snow/ice road conditions will slow my SPORH big time. This is the main reason why I switch back into getting paid by a temp agency (they pay per-hour + OT)

some of those contractors are too cheap to switch over to winter type tires. I've only known 2 that had backup rims with all-terrain type deep tread tires for the drive wheels

drivers drive too fast for conditions, like it wasn't even snowing/raining/ice on the roads. False sense of security with those AWD/4WD vehicles, so they speed past you, only to find them in the ditch down the road...

people don't shovel / salt their driveways - walkways... slows down my day even more. I gotta walk like a penguin to avoid falling down on my back.

sun goes down earlier, so I carry 2 lights to find house numbers... :minus: stops per hour goes out the window then...

luckily, there wasn't a blizzard condition this past peak season, like the past 2 other years in a row

-------------------------------

so, do you like working in hot or cold conditions?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I used to love summer and hate winter, but this job has flipped that around completely. I sweat something terrible and am just pretty much miserable when I am hot. Winter I can bundle up to stay warm, and I get a helper who does most of the hard work for me :D UPS trucks have heat, which I can crank and be "comfortable", but as we know they do not have A/C!

I can't say I love the worry of snow and dealing with the headaches that come from it, but that is one thing that you have to deal with when you drive for a living.

Buck Fifty

You can always put enough clothes on to stay comfortable in the winter. And since we cant take it all off in the summer (well you can, but it would be a nude point) and keep our job.

My vote definitely COLD !!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It makes little difference to me.
I run a fan all year.

I did work a very hot summer in France in a building with NO climatization - I found that it was very hard to concentrate.

When I was a driver and in the hub, I enjoyed the cold much better than the heat.

It would be interesting to ask this same question and poll in January and see how much the results change.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It makes little difference to me.
I run a fan all year.

I did work a very hot summer in France in a building with NO climatization - I found that it was very hard to concentrate.

When I was a driver and in the hub, I enjoyed the cold much better than the heat.

It would be interesting to ask this same question and poll in January and see how much the results change.
About a fan........what do you think of the bladeless fans???

tourists24

give me the summer over winter anyday.... the few years I spent near the Canadian border cured me from liking winter...lol

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ill take the heat any day. I hate cold. Give me the 100s we have had and a cooler with ice, and I be wet and wild all day long.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The same thing I tell my customers when they ask me..

"When it's cold I can put more clothes on but in the summer there is only so much I can take off before someone calls the cops."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For the first 24 yrs of my career I had a pig iron route and I definately preferred the cold vs the heat.

Now I deliver at altitude, and the biggest challenges I face are in the winter. Pea soup fog, pitch black at 4:45 in the afternoon in December, lousy roads, mud, snow and black ice. Mountain roads with switchback turns, no guardrails, and a 500-1000 foot vertical drop off of a cliff if you screw up. Crawling around on your hands and knees in the snow with a flashlight in your mouth while installing or removing tire chains on a package car really sucks.

The job is more comfortable in the winter, but it is a lot more stressful also.

rocket man

For the first 24 yrs of my career I had a pig iron route and I definately preferred the cold vs the heat.

Now I deliver at altitude, and the biggest challenges I face are in the winter. Pea soup fog, pitch black at 4:45 in the afternoon in December, lousy roads, mud, snow and black ice. Mountain roads with switchback turns, no guardrails, and a 500-1000 foot vertical drop off of a cliff if you screw up. Crawling around on your hands and knees in the snow with a flashlight in your mouth while installing or removing tire chains on a package car really sucks.

The job is more comfortable in the winter, but it is a lot more stressful also.
that sucks