Hour Break vs accidents...they ARE related

Sniper

I have been lurking around here for a year or two and this is my first post as everyone can see.

I'm a 21+ year vet.

I will get to the point of the post after I ask ONE simple question.

Does anyone, at any station for FedEx Express know, have knowledge of the MANDATORY hour break rule.

We are mandated to take an hour break but I have VERY good information that other stations get a waiver because of the "extended areas" the drivers cover...not so here.

It's all about the money, money saved at our expense. Accidents have exploded due to the pressure to close our delivery window.

If anyone can chime in about NOT taking an hour break it would be most helpful ASAP.

Thank you...time to step up...if you see something say something and I will continue my story.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Welcome Sniper.

We're still on the mandatory hour break except for a few times when we've had late freight and then our SM OK'd 30 minutes.

overflowed

Welcome. Same as him^^^. More reason to take out what the 195 says and no more. If over even 3 drop it. That's what's going on at my neck of the woods.

mjtrackman

I'm a fairly new swing driver (2 month's) and I've come back a few times after only taking a 30 minute break. With learning all these new routes I cant afford to be sitting around a extra 30 minutes if they want me to make service. I explained it to my manager and he was fine with it.

BulkRoute

We are still on the one hour break rule as well. Lots of routes really struggle to get back to the building on time, and make service on SO DELs. I have also had days where this has caused me to struggle with pups and getting back to the building on time. We have been told that it is a directive, and non compliance will result in a letter or termination.

!Retired!

CDOT break policy. It says nothing about a 1 hour break after a certain amount of time. But, I'll be damned if I'm working from 7:30-18:30 without an hour. I even argued with the OSS guy about the break. He had me in for 30 minutes. I told him to ride with me one day and see if 30 minutes is enough.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
CDOT break policy. It says nothing about a 1 hour break after a certain amount of time. But, I'll be damned if I'm working from 7:30-18:30 without an hour. I even argued with the OSS guy about the break. He had me in for 30 minutes. I told him to ride with me one day and see if 30 minutes is enough.
OSS guys are nothing but computers and spreadsheets. They should be required to go out into real world every so often. I guess they don't like to get their hands dirty.

ProfitServiceProfit

Haven't taken an hour break since the directive was handed down. Most couriers in my station aren't taking more than the DOT required 30 minutes.

Also most of us aren't delivering in extended areas. I average 120 miles a day.

Guapo

Was there a mandate? I was off a coupla weeks ago maybe I missed it. Last I saw 30 minutes if your under 8 hours...1 hour break if your going over 8 hours

Rhoderunner

Was there a mandate? 30 minutes if your under 8 hours...1 hour break if your going over 8 hours
That is the policy. In our area we went all winter and most all of spring with the '30 is good enuff' whisper. Bout the beginning of summer we were told back to policy. I'm convinced a 30 min break really makes their numbers better. Then something happens somewhere and it's back to policy.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
They tried that with us. But no one did it ... so go ahead and write us all up. We had already agreed if they did, a "Purple Sick Out" was on the table, for one day that week. We immediately did an "open door" (at least 15 of us) and we called the 800 Hotline number. Actually we BLEW UP the 800 Hotline number. We got a memo within a week to stop calling the Hotline and to disregard the "one-hour break" ... for now.

ILuvPandas

Hi I've been browsing this forum for a while & finally signed up.
Check your state meals break law.
I'm a ft courier is Massachusetts according to the law you are allowed to take a half hour break after 6 hours of work if you choose although you are voluntarily waive it to keep working so Fedex cant go above the law and force you to keep working if you want to take a break.
Different states the law varies

newgirl

They tried that with us. But no one did it ... so go ahead and write us all up. We had already agreed if they did, a "Purple Sick Out" was on the table, for one day that week. We immediately did an "open door" (at least 15 of us) and we called the 800 Hotline number. Actually we BLEW UP the 800 Hotline number. We got a memo within a week to stop calling the Hotline and to disregard the "one-hour break" ... for now.
i
Awesome. I am in the south so it's a little difficult to get people to fight back, but i really think everyone is getting "fed up" with the BS they are using to try and intimidate us.

hypo hanna

Fantastic!

More proof that if we just work together we can make some headway.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This is 1 thing I'll never understand you make 40k or less and you give back maybe 4000 a year of money that's rightfully yours working on break.

I was onroad setting up a Resi route when my manager called me. Came up in the conversation that I was setting up the route. His response, "Are you on break?". Mine, (after I stopped laughing), "Are you on crack?". FedEx gets NO free time from me!

whenIgetthere

I was onroad setting up a Resi route when my manager called me. Came up in the conversation that I was setting up the route. His response, "Are you on break?". Mine, (after I stopped laughing), "Are you on crack?". FedEx gets NO free time from me!

I was on road about five years ago (as a swing) and after P1, was setting up my P2, because the P1 cycle was mostly bulks. While loading, I would put the P2 in the upper left shelf of the truck, and sort it after P1. My manager who was with me on a check ride tells me the regular driver takes 2 to 3 minutes to set up his P2, and I should be able to do so, also, and suggested I take a break to do so! I told him my time ain't free!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have been lurking around here for a year or two and this is my first post as everyone can see.

I'm a 21+ year vet.

I will get to the point of the post after I ask ONE simple question.

Does anyone, at any station for FedEx Express know, have knowledge of the MANDATORY hour break rule.

We are mandated to take an hour break but I have VERY good information that other stations get a waiver because of the "extended areas" the drivers cover...not so here.

It's all about the money, money saved at our expense. Accidents have exploded due to the pressure to close our delivery window.

If anyone can chime in about NOT taking an hour break it would be most helpful ASAP.

Thank you...time to step up...if you see something say something and I will continue my story.

My understanding of policy is that you are required to take a 1 hr break only if you work at least 8 hrs. If you work 7:59 or less, you are only required to take 30 minutes. Many station managers have gone with the "new policy", which is that everyone must take an hour regardless of how many hours are actually worked, and isn't actual policy at all. This is absolutely a safety issue because we are being pressured to do more in less time. There are many days where taking 60 minutes makes no sense operationally, so it's all about the money...as usual.

This is simply another way to cheat you out of money and to boost the numbers. It will fail, just like every other management scheme.