Hour lunch break package drivers.

MethodsMan

When I deliver packages I get in a zone where I'm a go getter. Sitting on my ass for an hour makes me stagnant and not want to get back in the groove.

I'm glad its only a half hour where I am.

Z

ZQXC

When I deliver packages I get in a zone where I'm a go getter. Sitting on my ass for an hour makes me stagnant and not want to get back in the groove.

I'm glad its only a half hour where I am.

I split my 1 hour into 3 or 4 shorter breaks for that very reason. Once my flywheel spins down, it's hard to get back in the game.

Future

Victory Ride
[quote. UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1342392, member: 12570"]90 minute lunch? BS.[/quote]
60 min lunch.........30 min manicure allowance:hello,soldier::hello,soldier::hello,soldier:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No one's coming in earlier if they cut your lunch from an hour to 30 minutes. It would be legally abused by management to use less drivers. WAKE UP PEOPLE
Not true.

They are going to give you the stops they are going to give you.

A 10.5 hour paid day is a 10.5 hour paid day regardless of how long your lunch break is. The only difference between taking a 30 minute lunch and a 60 minute lunch is what time of night you finally get home. Most people would choose to spend the additional 30 min. at home with their families rather than sitting in a restaurant or in the front seat of a package car for a full hour.

Years ago our local fought with management over the right of the driver to decide whether or not to take a 30 min lunch. The company wanted a forced hour because it knew a significant number of drivers were skipping all or part of that (thereby working off of the clock) in order to get home at a decent time. Back then, you had to call in and get management "approval" (which was almost never granted) to take 30 minutes. We are adults, why should we have to call in and beg for permission to a management person whose only goal is to try and screw us out of 30 minutes of pay? We won the fight, and now the only way the company can force a full hour is if service would be negatively affected such as on a route with late scheduled pickups.

It boils down to the driver being paid for all hours worked and having at least some measure of control over what time he gets home to his family.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Bottom line, I don't trust them. Your only saving grace is going on the 9.5 list which the majority don't but they don't care how much they pay you as long as they can take a route out.

Our yearly pay raise = extra couple stops
New FOB bulkhead opener = new time studies = extra 5 stops each
Lunch is cut by 30 minutes = YOU GUESSED IT

QKRSTKR

Does anyone know why some get 30 minutes, some 45 minutes, and some an hour? Central supplement says 30 minutes between 3rd and 6th hour. I would hate an hour.

Management here would not be happy if you decided to stop for an hour. It would screw whole plan up, pull times, etc. Being in feeders all it would mean is getting home a 1/2 hour later.

soberups

Bottom line, I don't trust them. Your only saving grace is going on the 9.5 list which the majority don't but they don't care how much they pay you as long as they can take a route out.

Our yearly pay raise = extra couple stops
New FOB bulkhead opener = new time studies = extra 5 stops each
Lunch is cut by 30 minutes = YOU GUESSED IT
The 9.5 list is irrelevant.

If you start at 8:30 AM and take a 30 min lunch, you hit 9.5 hours at 6:30. If you take a 60 min lunch, you hit 9.5 hours at 7:00. Your paid day is what it is, the only difference between a 30 and a 60 minute lunch is what time you get home to your family at night.

The forced hour lunch is nothing more than a tool that the company uses to get as many drivers as possible to work off of the clock. If we went back to the forced hour, the company would cut more routes out because they know that a significant percentage of the drivers would simply skip part of their lunch and work unpaid in order to avoid getting home at 9:00 at night, especially with the new 9.5 language. Do the math; if they can get 20 drivers on a 70-route center to skip even half of their forced hour lunch, that is 10 free hours of labor which is the equivalent of an entire route they can and will cut out. Allowing the drivers to choose between a 30 or 60 minute lunch takes away most of the motivation for working off of the clock and prevents the company from making dispatch decisions based upon a virtual guarantee of free labor.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Would never fight with you bro, we are just disagreeing which side of the coin is shinier !!! LOL:hi5:

You argue that personal responsibility and mathematics will get you in earlier, I see that corporate greed would find a way to keep you out later.
I just know in my heart that if my center went from a forced hour to a forced 30 minutes for lunch, they would take advantage of that time somehow.

Giving the drivers free will to take either would work in the drivers favor. You are correct

In feeder here we have been on an optional 30 min DOT lunch/break or our standard 50-60-70 min lunch. We'll still be here till our normal end of day time so in our case it's a choice of picking up a 1/2 of OT.

Here, my view is that enough people taking that 1/2 lunch eliminates a new feeder driver so I choose not to take it.

soberups

Would never fight with you bro, we are just disagreeing which side of the coin is shinier !!! LOL:hi5:

You argue that personal responsibility and mathematics will get you in earlier, I see that corporate greed would find a way to keep you out later.
I just know in my heart that if my center went from a forced hour to a forced 30 minutes for lunch, they would take advantage of that time somehow.

Giving the drivers free will to take either would work in the drivers favor. You are correct

And I should clarify my position. I absolutely support the right of the driver to take a full hour lunch if he chooses to do so. But unless there are service issues such as late pickups, it should be up to the driver to choose the length of his lunch.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Back then, you had to call in and get management "approval" (which was almost never granted) to take 30 minutes. We are adults, why should we have to call in and beg for permission to a management person whose only goal is to try and screw us out of 30 minutes of pay?

It is approached the same way here when a driver wants to skip their 30 minute lunch.
Management claims that we need to get their permission first?
Our supplement states that we "are required to take a 30 minute unpaid lunch break between the 3rd and 6th hour".
To me that affords no wiggle room for either party and management's assertion that we need their permission clearly constitutes an extra contractual agreement, which is also prohibited per the collective bargaining agreement.
On the extremely rare occasion that I find it necessary to skip my lunch and breaks, I never ask permission.
When questioned as to why I didn't ask, I respond that they don't ask my permission when they break the contract, so why would I ask for theirs when I do?

In the end, I think we should try and remember that these rules were conceived and fought for over decades of strife and toil and are designed for the betterment of the collective whole, not the needs of the individual.
Be thankful for our predecessors who sacrificed to give us what we have today.
We need to protect these rights, rather than selfishly piss them away for self perceived needs or wants.
In doing so, we do a great disservice to the brave women and men who did the job before us.

Last edited:

By The Book

When my center went from the hour lunch to the 30 minute state mandate we all got about a half hour more work.