Hour lunch break package drivers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Does your supplement say a minimum 30min lunch but able to take an hour? If so 30 min. Or your state law should apply.
In the Central Region it states, full time "employees shall be entitled to and required to take an unpaid meal period between the third (3rd) and sixth (6th) hour of work".
"local past practice shall prevail regarding the duration of the meal and rest periods".
Local practice here has always been a half an hour for lunch.

Last edited:

some1else

Banned
An hour is way to long. By thiry minutes im getting fidigity. But since i work 11+ paid every day i usually take 30 at 130 then save my other 30 and 10paid break for a nap around 5 or so.

Id much rather only do the 30 and get to take the other 30 in my bed at home!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah dude I go on browncafe and make up :censored2: to post so the internet will think I'm a badass.....

DIAD has 90 minute meal period as option 3 when we clock out for lunch. That being said I'm pretty sure no one ever uses it

Your DIAD has meal period options built-in? Ours have blank spaces where we input our times---if we input less than 45 minutes, it drops down to the next line to allow us to input the remainder of our break, if taken.

I still call BS on the 90 minutes.

Z

ZQXC

Yeah dude I go on browncafe and make up :censored2: to post so the internet will think I'm a badass.....

DIAD has 90 minute meal period as option 3 when we clock out for lunch. That being said I'm pretty sure no one ever uses it

If anything, anywhere, dealing with ups is different from what UPState is accustomed to at his center, he always expresses disbelief.

I think the medical term is BOG Blinders.........

Z

ZQXC

Have you ever heard of anyone at UPS allowed to take a 90 minute lunch?

No, I haven't, but the difference is, I'm not going to challenge
the statement, because I know that this company is not operated the same from one center to another.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Have you ever heard of anyone at UPS allowed to take a 90 minute lunch?

When I first started with the company, UPS automatically took out an hour lunch every day. There was also available a 15 minute paid break and a 15 minute unpaid break= 90 minutes. That all changed a few contracts ago with a change in the supplement. It is feasible that something like this remains in other supplements though.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The 9.5 list is irrelevant.

If you start at 8:30 AM and take a 30 min lunch, you hit 9.5 hours at 6:30. If you take a 60 min lunch, you hit 9.5 hours at 7:00. Your paid day is what it is, the only difference between a 30 and a 60 minute lunch is what time you get home to your family at night.

The forced hour lunch is nothing more than a tool that the company uses to get as many drivers as possible to work off of the clock. If we went back to the forced hour, the company would cut more routes out because they know that a significant percentage of the drivers would simply skip part of their lunch and work unpaid in order to avoid getting home at 9:00 at night, especially with the new 9.5 language. Do the math; if they can get 20 drivers on a 70-route center to skip even half of their forced hour lunch, that is 10 free hours of labor which is the equivalent of an entire route they can and will cut out. Allowing the drivers to choose between a 30 or 60 minute lunch takes away most of the motivation for working off of the clock and prevents the company from making dispatch decisions based upon a virtual guarantee of free labor.

This is actually a simple fix, particularly if the free labor occurs before start time where it can easily be seen. Simply file a grievance on the driver working off the clock. The person filing will get paid overtime for any hours worked by the person working off the clock. When UPS starts paying grievances for this, you can bet that driver working off the clock will get hammered by management.

wayfair

swollen member
Wouldn't you rather get done a bit earlier, do all of those things and NOT have to put the uniform back on?

I don't know about you, but taking a nice air conditioned lunch in the middle of the humid summer here, cooling off with a dip in the pool, taking a shower and putting on a fresh uniform is way better than skipping lunch and smelling like a sour locker room all day.
Whenever I "get done a bit earlier" one day, the next day, I'll have 20 more stops.

Dr.Brownz

I know many 'displaced' 22.3s who had 6 or 10 hour lunch breaks, depending on how you looked at it.

One guy at our center runs air from the airport to the center in the morning 9-11 then has a 3 hour break until he goes and picks up air from 1pm to 6pm

Dr.Brownz

Your DIAD has meal period options built-in? Ours have blank spaces where we input our times---if we input less than 45 minutes, it drops down to the next line to allow us to input the remainder of our break, if taken.

I still call BS on the 90 minutes.

Ours you put in the start time and then it asks you for the length, then it disables the diad for the period and counts down until the time is up complete with 5 minutes warning feature. You then enter your finish time to confirm your back on duty. Like I said no one ever uses 90 minute lunch. It also has 0 minute meal period for situations where you need a longer break like the 22.3 I mentioned above