Hourlies spying on Hourlies in the name of 'Safety'

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

we had a Union Steward safety commitee feeder driver checking D.V.I.R. books and had seen where one driver had not signed his name , went and reprted it to the feeder manager which in turn gave the driver a warning letter , go figure @WhitesCreek,TN.

This is exactly why so many hourlies are not in favor of this practice. The right thing to do would have been for the safety committee member to get with the offending driver and review the importance of signing off the DVIR, which is required not only by UPS but also by DOT.

I have no problem with this practice as long as any discrepancies found are discussed with the fellow hourly one-on-one. We have all been doing jobs for a long time and there may be things that we see as OK that an outside observer may not. It is when these observations are elevated that the problems begin.

I have no problem with this practice as long as any discrepancies found are discussed with the fellow hourly one-on-one. We have all been doing jobs for a long time and there may be things that we see as OK that an outside observer may not. It is when these observations are elevated that the problems begin.

I'll take advice or pointers from someone with a driving record equal or better to my own. When the CHSP person who fell asleep shifting in the yard and hit 3 trailers comes up to me to say anything my paces never slows on the way by.

If the Safety or CHSP drivers are qualified in experience and are the driver reps in taking concern to management thats fine. Being a volunteer cop, something else.

tourists24

Im pretty much of the thought that its no other hourly drivers business with the discrepancies I have. Its none of their business. This is managements job. Its the drivers job to deliver and pickup packages. If I am having a friendly conversation with another driver and it comes up in regular conversation thats one thing. But to be paid to spy on me and come talk to me about it, get back to your job.

stixx337

Get your BA involved. If he's weak or doesn't see any wrong otherwise defending mgt. Start a petition to have the scabs removed from the union approved committee.
Call the NLRB and get advice from an information officer or field attorney. They know UPS as a frequent offender. Lawyers are from the Dept of Justice, very labor friendly and fired up to help the little guy.
It's best to have a steward executing these steps with the other drivers support. Expect retaliation and educate yourself on how to place yourself in a protected category.
When discipline comes for some BS reason soon after, file a retaliation grievance internally and then externally with your state gov.
This will force both the local and company to do their job. Uphold the contract and abide by the law.
As you can see in this thread, It can be done... Be smart! Understand your contract/supplement and the law. Don't act alone like an idiot, you must have support.
Obviously, you want to give you mgt a chance to pretend like they might correct this matter so have a Stewart help with this.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Back when we had a safety committee, there was an old company-pet driver who would sit in the office all day, talking to the OMS and management and literally do nothing. When it came time to work, he headed out with the center manager and DM to do safety obs.
This was their FT job.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Im pretty much of the thought that its no other hourly drivers business with the discrepancies I have. Its none of their business. This is managements job. Its the drivers job to deliver and pickup packages. If I am having a friendly conversation with another driver and it comes up in regular conversation thats one thing. But to be paid to spy on me and come talk to me about it, get back to your job.

I have no problem with this if every driver in every center has their turn to go out, and obs other drivers and take an "easy day". Actually, I think many drivers would benefit from this - maybe not always from a safety or road safety standpoint, but general del methods and "things to make your day easier" that they have forgotten, or did not learn.

anonymous4

We have a union employee who showed heavy interest in supervision from the start. He already passed his tests but for *some reason* is not a supervisor. He hangs out with management and they let him walk around doing wraps, looking up bag tags most of the night. He passes on everything he hears to other supervisors and appears free from reprimand. Wonder what that's about! ;)

tourists24

I have no problem with this if every driver in every center has their turn to go out, and obs other drivers and take an "easy day". Actually, I think many drivers would benefit from this - maybe not always from a safety or road safety standpoint, but general del methods and "things to make your day easier" that they have forgotten, or did not learn.
That sounds very nice if thats how it would actually happen. However we all know that would never occur because its not operations guys calling the shots. They are there to fulfill the metric passed on to them by people never seen nor held accountable for their demands

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Screw all of these ball washers. This crap goes on in the Roswell center to the point that everyone thinks the safety committee is a joke. It's just a stepping stone to FT driver to FT sup positions. The way I look at it and as do others it's a union job being filled as the spies are ball washing managment while observing. We have another hourlie running thier route so the local doesn't care. Most of the committee members are treated as outsiders from drivers who see through the facade of the safety committee caring about safety. Temptation of days off and 4hours of safety pay for 8hours of being on UPS property is to much for some drivers to resist. We confront said drivers from time to time but just get the typical "don't worry about what I do" attitude.

Cant wait till these drivers get stabbed in the back by management and lose thier job for some scapegoat reason. I'm to tired and to busy making thier OT to give a crap nowadays anyways.

Packmule

Precisely why I quit the safety committee. It was one thing to be providing a means for coworkers to have THEIR safety concerns addressed. It is entirely another matter when the whole concept became about spying on coworkers. I figured they have at least one mini-sup for every 2 drivers, they didn't need me playing manager.

Re-Raise

they stay away from me,, if i used methods my sph would drop 5 to 10 a hr

We know already you are really,really, really fast. You keep telling us every chance you get. We have a few drivers in my center who think that is important also.

Really man , nobody cares how fast you are here or in your center.

I am not going to lecture you about using the methods, or how you are helping them cut routes, it is really that I DON'T CARE and I am guessing nobody else does.

Packmule

An hourly safety co-chair was with my sup, spying on me a while back when I got a warning letter for not honking my horn at ONE stop. Get this, the guy is also my cover driver when I'm off. Do you have any idea how many notes I've put in the board, talked with him personally, trying to keep HIM safe when he is taking over the route for a week!