Hourly Pay/Benefits - Differences Between Fedex Express and UPS

l22

What are the differences between hourly pay and benefits for Fedex Express couriers vs. UPS drivers? I.e. How does pay progression work; what are the differences in health insurance plans, etc.?

DontThrowPackages

What are the differences between hourly pay and benefits for Fedex Express couriers vs. UPS drivers? I.e. How does pay progression work; what are the differences in health insurance plans, etc.?
For one, what express drivers are paid depends on the zip code they work. A driver in New York or California may make more than a Driver working in South Dakota. However, I believe Brown pays their drivers the same rate no matter what zip or state they work in. Brown drivers reach top pay around 3 years time. An Express driver starting out today will never reach top pay in his career. Drivers have 18 years in the company and are not topped out. Who knows the details but I've heard Brown blows away express insurance plans.

SmithBarney

UPS wins hands down in the compensation comparison.
Better Pay
Better Progresssion
Better Insurance
Better Retirement

The biggest difference, most Express drivers(in my experience)
wouldn't be able to handle the amount of work,
ever been faced with a bricked out p1000 daily .. not at FDX(unless its bulk)
ever had to work til 9:30pm or later every day.. not at FDX
ever had to deal with the revolving door known as preloaders... not at FDX you load your own...

So that being said UPS earns every penny on the check.
And so does FDX, AT TOP rate.

At UPS you EARN all those extras. The compensation at FDX was good 10 years ago.

McGee

For one, what express drivers are paid depends on the zip code they work. A driver in New York or California may make more than a Driver working in South Dakota. However, I believe Brown pays their drivers the same rate no matter what zip or state they work in. Brown drivers reach top pay around 3 years time. An Express driver starting out today will never reach top pay in his career. Drivers have 18 years in the company and are not topped out. Who knows the details but I've heard Brown blows away express insurance plans.
Its 4 years now to reach top pay unless you are already in progression.

Whats in the Box

There is no progression with Express anymore. We used to get merit pay raises based on reviews every 6 months, then bumped to yearlies, now are always on a holding pattern if we ever get a raise.

The old performance/scan/safety reviews were tossed with meaningless "discussion reviews" that is a waste of the ink on the paper printed it on.

Median hourly pay employees will never get topped! The new hires get paid more than employees already 5 years in.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

If you're trying to decide which one to go with, as a 20+ years Express employee, I would say DEFINITELY brown. You will work harder, get treated crappier but you will make out much better in the end. There is no future at Express.

vantexan

One comment...a 5 year employee can't make less than a newhire. He can be at starting pay like a newhire, but he can't make less than starting pay. But agreed, Express is a farce. On the other hand no one else was going to start me at $15.53hr when I got rehired recently. It is what it is. But hey, I'm on my own as a domicile, drive in great scenery and weather, get to sleep in every morning. Semi-retired!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.

If you're young (ie in your 20's) you'd be a fool not to get a job at UPS. I say you need to be young because you're gonna hump for the first 10 yrs.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
33.70 an hour, soon to be 34.40 an hour at Brown, enough said
imagesZWUSWAWT.jpg
lol