Hours of service limitations.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Technically you don't have to be off the clock, you just can't drive.
Technically ups want you off the clock because your start time is 10 hours away.

Not to pick on you but all of the people pulling out technicalities are what's confusing some people.

UPS4Life

Technically ups want you off the clock because your start time is 10 hours away.

Not to pick on you but all of the people pulling out technicalities are what's confusing some people.
"Technically" not all runs start ten hours after start time. My hub has a lot of various start time jobs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can be on the clock for more than 16 hours. It's just an emergency extension for the once a week, 14 hour rule. A few years back, a bunch of us ran into a major snow storm going to our first leg hub. I sat on the interstate for over three hours on the way to my destination. On the way back, I had to pull over over 70 miles from my home hub because my 11 hour drive time was up. I waited two or three hours for a ride. When it was all said and done, I eventually clocked out being on the clock for nearly 19 hours. Another driver logged 22 hours. The extra time is considered off-duty. But yes, in emergency conditions, you can go over 16.
You can work 24 hours. DOT doesn't care. You just cannot "drive" after driving for 11 hours or working for 14. You could return to the hub after, say 13 hours and work 10, 12 more or whatever. You are fine as long as you are not off the property driving.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You also need 10 hours off before you start the next day. This is why UPS wants to keep you under the 14 hour work rule. Work less than 14 hours and you will have the required 10 hours off before coming in the next day.

They ideally want to keep package car drivers under 12 hours to make sure they stay under 60 hours for the week.

A little different in feeders.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can work 24 hours. DOT doesn't care. You just cannot "drive" after driving for 11 hours or working for 14. You could return to the hub after, say 13 hours and work 10, 12 more or whatever. You are fine as long as you are not off the property driving.
And you have to have 10 hours off after that before you can drive again.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Forgot this conversation was about package car. I was referring DOT rules to feeders.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I think he was referring to the various start times. Package drivers usually have a uniform start time.

And yes, they are subject to DOT hours of service. UPS package cars are commercial motor vehicles, thus subject to DOT hours of service.