Hours Worked!!!! Beware All

J

JonFrum

Skippy262,

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. You're talking about the UPS Pension Plan for part-timers in the Central States area. These quotes of yours threw us off track.
. . . I have figured out that under the new agreement everyone of us will never be able to get to the maximum retiremement benefit which we all think we might someday be able to enjoy . . .
. . .
. . . All heath and welfare and retirement contributitions are calculated under "HOURS WORKED". . . .

Anyway, note that the first line of Article 34, section 1, (i), (2), which you quoted, says:
Part-time employees will receive one (1) year of Credited Service for 750 or more paid hours.

The paragraph you quoted is not new language. It would be a violation of Past Practice for UPS to unilatterally change the definition of hours used in the calculations. Pension changes are a Subject of Mandatory Bargaining.

Also, check your Supplement for a Maintenance of Standards article. It's Article 47, Section 1 - Protection of Conditions, in my New England Supplement.
_ _ _ _ _

My Stewart is in Feeders. He pulls a trailor. He insists his name isn't Stewart. It's Paul.

BigBrownSanta

I am not trying to argue with you. I asked because your numbers seemed to imply that sick days and holidays would cause you to NOT get retirement credit for the ENTIRE week. If that is the case, then this really is a big deal. If not, then it appears some people will have take less days off or, at the least, keep really good records of their accumulated hours.

Skippy262

After speaking to my "SHOP STEWARD" and he has just come off a vac week, so he checked his paystub and it did not count towards "HOURS WORKED". So yes it is going to have a great big affect on everyone when the time comes to calculate your ability to attain years credited towards your retirement. It is almost impossible to attain the time needed to get the "HOURS WORKED". Sickdays and holidays as well as vac. days will affect the "Hours Worked" they are not being counted under the "Hours Worked" now being separated in the pay week. It is my understanding that if you do not have 40hrs "Hours Worked" for the week you will get no credit towards your retiremment as well as your health and welfare contributitions by UPS.

Johney

After speaking to my "SHOP STEWARD" and he has just come off a vac week, so he checked his paystub and it did not count towards "HOURS WORKED". So yes it is going to have a great big affect on everyone when the time comes to calculate your ability to attain years credited towards your retirement. It is almost impossible to attain the time needed to get the "HOURS WORKED". Sickdays and holidays as well as vac. days will affect the "Hours Worked" they are not being counted under the "Hours Worked" now being separated in the pay week. It is my understanding that if you do not have 40hrs "Hours Worked" for the week you will get no credit towards your retiremment as well as your health and welfare contributitions by UPS.
:whiteflag: I give up. I think I'll just quit now and save myself the aggrevation. If they have found some type of loophole to allow this to happen :sick::sick::sick:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
So, according to Skippy262, UPS wants to short everyone in this new contract so that it takes everyone longer to retire? That doesn't make sense. Thats saying that UPS wants 60+ year old employees in the workforce who don't move as fast and are more prone to injuries. I am amazed that no one else has picked up on this idea.

tieguy

Banned
I don't think your comment is necessary. We are here to try and help each other. the contract says:
Article 34
(i) UPS part time pension plan
P/t employees will recieve (1) yr of credited service for 750 hrs or more paid hrs. (Six months of p/t credited service will be granted for 375-500 HOURS WORKED in a calander yr, and 9 months of p/t credited service will be granted for 501-749 HOURS WORKED in a calander yr.this paragraph will also be applied to determine CREDITED SERVICE for ALL FULL TIME EMPLOYEES on the payroll on Aug 1, 2002.who were formerly participants in the UPS Pension Plan.

I'm sorry skippy but you are so wrong on this issue. I really don't understand how your BA has let this rumor continue without squashing it immediately. Is he brand new to his job? Has he never calculated a retirement payout for anyone in your local before? Do you guys live in some kind of vaccuum? Its sad because I can see you're really concerned and think this is a real issue. But it's not anything to worry about and you should kick you steward and your BA straight in the rear for not being able to give you a better answer.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Skippy subtracted 6 (six) weeks of sick time instead of 6 (six) days, as I tried to point out (apparently rather ineffectively) in post # 43. If you're still worried about it, work all the OT you can until you've banked the 1650 (full-time), then take it down a few notches until PEAK. As a lowly part-time cardboard shuffler, I managed over 1200 hours as defined above, and there were many more to be had.

Ms Spoken

ok now that I'm so confused over all of this how many hours to you have to work to get a credit year? Does that include OT?

If you are looking at the service pension... like the 30 and out any age deal, then you need to work at least 1 hour in a week to get credit for that week. You need 40 weeks to get credit for the year.

brcpk39

i'm a 22.3 combination worker and I wanted to know how many hours do I need to work every year for it to count toward full time retirement

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i'm a 22.3 combination worker and I wanted to know how many hours do I need to work every year for it to count toward full time retirement

In our local it is over 1800 hours to 12 months of credited service. It may vary regionally but it should be pretty close to the same amount.

rocket man

I have just spent several days going over this with our shop stewart seems we are all going to have big problems. I have figured out that under the new agreement everyone of us will never be able to get to the maximum retiremement benefit which we all think we might someday be able to enjoy. After I brought this to our shop stewart he in turn took it to the hall and they are all scrambling to see how to get this reversed.
Hours worked are now being calculated in your paystubs and there is a reason for it.
All heath and welfare and retirement contributitions are calculated under "HOURS WORKED".
Here are the figures they are based on 40 hr. work week (because overtime is not garanteed)
52 weeks/ yr x 40 hrs= 2080 total hrs
6 sickdays lost 240 hrs based on taking 1 at a time total left 1840 hrs
6 holidays lost 240 hrs
time total left 1600 hrs
1 wk option lost 40 hrs
total time left 1560 hrs
need 1650 hrs to get 1 year retirement accredited you are short 90 hrs.
4 weeks vac. lost 160 hrs
total short 250 hrs=you need to work 5.20 hrs o/t every week or you will never get the 1650 hrs needed.
5 weeks vac. 200 hrs
total short 290 hrs=you need to work 6.17 hrs o/t every week to get to 1650 hrs. or no credit.
6 weeks vac. 240 hrs
total short 330 hrs.= you need to work 7.17 hrs o/t every week or you get no credit.
This is not acceptable that our Union has agreed to this and we the working/ dues paying teamsters are now stuck with this agreement.
Keep skiping lunch Keep running to get done get bonus whatever that is GO MAN GO .

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I get an annual pension report every year that shows my month by month contributory hours. Some months high hours, some lower. You should also be getting one. I have hit my limit every year since I went full time, last year included. I have seen no significant change. I do not see the problem.

I get an annual pension report every year that shows my month by month contributory hours. Some months high hours, some lower. You should also be getting one. I have hit my limit every year since I went full time, last year included. I have seen no significant change. I do not see the problem.

I think that only happens in the western conference. You should be hitting your 2080 hours (max) by mid to late November.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I think that only happens in the western conference. You should be hitting your 2080 hours (max) by mid to late November.

That's correct 1989, Nov - Dec.

Question for New England, Central States and others..

Do you get an annual report that shows your current status on contributory hours?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My local has it all online. You create an account, log in, and you can view your work history, banked hours for the current period, medical claims, etc.

Raw

Raw Member
You have something here. UPS now has my pension and on pay stubs we have YTD total line that includes all opt, vac... then a total a bit to the side that is under current totals which is less hours ( excludes vac, opt.. ) far less, then in the box on top under total hours earned the far less number. So if we don`t make our 1600 or so hours for the year than the whole year doesn`t count or do they just add on the month or so from the next year to get your full year, always running behind so you need to work 27 years to get 25?

Raw

Raw Member
You have something here. UPS now has my pension and on pay stubs we have YTD total line that includes all opt, vac... then a total a bit to the side that is under current totals which is less hours ( excludes vac, opt.. ) far less, then in the box on top under total hours earned the far less number. So if we don`t make our 1600 or so hours for the year than the whole year doesn`t count or do they just add on the month or so from the next year to get your full year, always running behind so you need to work 27 years to get 25?
Sorry i was inncorrect last post. I thought total earnings were the hours for the year but was the gross pay for the week! lol My Bad!!