How about some rampant speculation?

newgirl

The customers are the ones driving the freight to Ground. Memphis doesn't have to come up with any merging plans, cross-over equipment, etc. They see the price of ground vs. express and they pick ground, unless it absolutely, positively needs to be there overnight by 1030 or 1500--or it's international. Hang out at your front counter or at a Fedex Office or a pack and ship place and listen to the customers. They pick price, not color of the uniform.

Ground has gotten pretty good-comparable to UPS, don't know-but in my experience on my route I know that I get the same stuff everyday, same shippers. These shippers are still choosing us-probably out of laziness or "it's just the way it's always been done." That will change, as it already has with a few national volume shipper accounts. Don't expect Memphis to stop it, either.

whenIgetthere

As a former shipping manager, if I shipped something thinking it was being carried by Express, then it was delivered by ground, I would expect a heck of a lot bigger discount on that package! With most ground employees making much less than most Express, grounds prices would have to drop substantially on XS/2D packages to justify the cost of XS/2D. It's up to us to make customers aware of this in the event of the big shift. I have one large customer who recieves about 40 Express a day, and about 10 ground. They hate ground and would switch to UPS in a heartbeat should that happen.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
As a former shipping manager, if I shipped something thinking it was being carried by Express, then it was delivered by ground, I would expect a heck of a lot bigger discount on that package!

That's a really good point.
How is FDX gonna explain that.

Ricochet1a

As a former shipping manager, if I shipped something thinking it was being carried by Express, then it was delivered by ground, I would expect a heck of a lot bigger discount on that package! With most ground employees making much less than most Express, grounds prices would have to drop substantially on XS/2D packages to justify the cost of XS/2D. It's up to us to make customers aware of this in the event of the big shift. I have one large customer who recieves about 40 Express a day, and about 10 ground. They hate ground and would switch to UPS in a heartbeat should that happen.

Do you think customers really care if the individual delivering a package is driving a truck that states in little letters under the huge FedEx.... Express? Come on....

What difference does it make to a customer whoever steps out of a truck that says FedEx on the side of it to deliver their package, as long as it gets delivered by the time that was specified when it was shipped? I'll address the exception below...

Who delivers the package makes no difference in the price charged. When customers pay for Express, they are paying to have it at its location by a time certain not by a Courier/driver specific. How it gets there is irrelevant. When they pay for Ground, they pay to get it there, but whether it is a day before or a day after the expected delivery date isn't important.

The only real issue for customers is the issue of tag alongs. Customers that receive regular priority overnight volume are used to getting their non-overnight volume delivered as part of that one early AM stop - thus tag alongs. If FedEx decides to eventually "outsource" the delivery of non-overnight volume, then customers will be receiving two separate deliveries each day (assuming they have a mixture of overnight and non-overnight incoming volume each day). This will tick off a lot of customers (who are used to receiving non-overnight volume in the early AM along with their few pieces of priority volume).

I think this, more than anything, is what is holding up FedEx from pulling the trigger - high volume customers are used to getting EVERYTHING delivered in the early AM. When I was doing it, I pissed off quite a few customers who were used to jacking me around with waiting to sign for shipments. I then only offered up the overnight volume for them to sign for in the AM, and stated that I'll be back in the afternoon to get off the non-overnight volume for them to sign for - since I didn't have the time to wait around for them to make up their minds when they are going to sign and let me get out of there. It pissed them off, but they got the message - and I was able to make my P1 committment and not cool my heels for 10 minutes waiting for a damn signature at 10AM.

The fear for FedEx becomes one of having irate shipping managers calling FedEx asking, "Where are my shipments, they were usually delivered in the morning with the rest of my "Express" incoming volume?". That is what might be a tad difficult to explain to people who have been used to getting their 2nd day volume delivered at 10AM instead of delivered separately at 2PM. It can be done (it was done in my case to prove a point), but FedEx doesn't like getting high revenue customers upset.

However, all of this must be taken into context when the business plan first came to prominence - 2009.

When it looked like FedEx was going to lose its RLA status in 2009, FedEx went into major panic mode. They were literally panicing in Memphis over the prospect of losing the RLA status, and having one-third of the stations having certification votes and subsequently certifying union representation. This is when FedEx went into major cost cutting mode for those that can remember back 2.5 years ago. Even with having gutted the defined benefit pension plan a year earlier, FedEx would've been placed into a serious cash flow crunch if they had to agree to sign labor contracts at a significant number of stations or be forced into the position of having regional lockouts and trying to lure the Ground "contractors" to cross picket lines to move Express volume.

This is when the business plan came to prominence - shift the delivery of non-overnight volume directly to Ground. If Express could do this, then implementing lockouts at the stations that were attempting to collectively bargain would've been much easier. You don't have drivers cross a picket line, you don't bring the volume - at least the non-overnight volume - across a picket line to begin with (you take it directly to a ground terminal for delivery). From a purely business perspective, it was brilliant.

If FedEx would've lost its RLA status in 2009, FedEx would've pulled the trigger and immediately eliminated (or at least tried) the majority of full-time Courier positions and gone to a part-time Courier force whose only deliveriers would've been overnight volume (easily accomplished by a part-time force). It would've gotten ugly, Couriers at a significant number of stations having voted to certify union representation under NLRA rules (local level certification), and FedEx dealing with the negative PR of striking Couriers and RTDs while trying to reassure their customers, "All is well".

Fast forward to February 2012. There is still cost advantages to shifting the delivery of non-overnight volume over to Ground, but the threat of unionization within Express is now completely eliminated. I haven't pulled up the legislation to read myself, but the indications are that the change in the requirements to hold a certification election from 35% of craft to 50% of craft having signed rep cards has eliminated ANY possibility of even a vote being held. You'd need to have a majority of Couriers right now - nationwide - ready to strike no matter what, to even begin to have a chance for a certification election. On a nationwide basis, most Couriers complain like heck about their compensation, but they aren't willing to do anything about it - they complain, they dream, they even make occasional threats, but they won't sign union representation cards - they chow down on that turd sandwich with a look of disgust, but they still chow down.

FedEx may indeed decide to shift the delivery over to Ground - but now, the real impetus to do so has been eliminated. Fred is secure in the fact that not only does he still have RLA classification, but now it will take 50% of craft to sign rep cards to even have an election - not the previous 35%.

When the economy does improve, FedEx will indeed have to sweeten the compensation for Ground drivers to keep turn over there within managable levels (and service issues related to high turnover minimized). This will start to narrow the gap between Express and Ground compensation (in the end, you all will most likely be compensated rather closely, with Express wage stagnation an established fact and Ground gradually raising their compensation levels to keep turnover down).

So if you are worried about losing your full time job as a Courier at Express, actually those fears now (given the recent legislative victories by Express) are misplaced. You are a wage slave - and will always be so (for those with less than 12 years in). The Walmart-ization of America continues. Your only real solution is to get out of Express.

whatnthe

Wow, very nice post. I would appreciate your take on the quartile compensation plan. I'm an 8 year stuck in the first quartile. Top of range seems like a pipe dream now more than ever.

My bad, I found the other thread where this has been discussed.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
When it looked like FedEx was going to lose its RLA status in 2009, FedEx went into major panic mode. They were literally panicing in Memphis over the prospect of losing the RLA status, and having one-third of the stations having certification votes and subsequently certifying union representation. This is when FedEx went into major cost cutting mode for those that can remember back 2.5 years ago. Even with having gutted the defined benefit pension plan a year earlier, FedEx would've been placed into a serious cash flow crunch if they had to agree to sign labor contracts at a significant number of stations or be forced into the position of having regional lockouts and trying to lure the Ground "contractors" to cross picket lines to move Express volume.

Then again, perhaps the major cost cutting had something to do with the fact that they were only generating a net profit of 2.1% for '09, when they'd had 5.5% and 9.3% for '08 and '07, respectively. 2009 was brutal to the company and there was serious concern about whether or not it would turn a profit for the year. I don't doubt that the RLA was a consideration but let's get real, they went into major cost cutting mode because they were taking an absolute beating.

FedEx may indeed decide to shift the delivery over to Ground - but now, the real impetus to do so has been eliminated. Fred is secure in the fact that not only does he still have RLA classification, but now it will take 50% of craft to sign rep cards to even have an election - not the previous 35%.

Someone please explain the logic in arguing for almost 4 years that 'Fred' is going to switch it over for the sake of satisfying his own extreme avarice when the guy isn't going to push it when he can do so easily and with near impunity. He has no union to deal with and it's virtually impossible to for the Express couriers to get one voted in. If switching the aforementioned freight to Ground makes so much financial sense, then it would make perfect sense to do it now.

vantexan

So, any rumors yet?

I just don't see this happening all at once due to the sudden massive loss of freight which would most likely lead to layoffs. Valentine's was a good illustration of what most likely will happen. We worked the Monday before like it was Peak but the volume wasn't there. Ground had it. And most likely our sales people convinced the flower shippers that Ground could do it and they'd save money too. I'd look for Express shippers continuing to switch while Express consolidates routes and loses employees through attrition. I've heard numerous times in the last year from our director, our senior, our ops mgrs, and on Frontline that Express is going to shrink as customers switch to low cost alternatives. They've consolidated stations, and replaced 700's with Sprinters. And are consolidating loops. The guy pulled off my loop is doing the rt of the courier going into management. No JCATS posting to replace him. We're getting it done with overtime, but that might not last with less freight eventually. I think it's happening before our eyes while we're looking for a dramatic switchover. The company has to be cautious, they've got stockholders to please. But everything they're doing says they're switching to a model where Express isn't the dominant division.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, but here's the new theory: 'Fred' is so greedy that he won't take the easy money. Figure *that one out.

Fred knows that there would be a massive Express response to a switchover of services to Ground. The RLA is still Fred's ace in the hole because keeping us in that jail is his best insurance against a unionized Express division, but the potential liberalization of voting requirements for the RLA might have Smith thinking twice. I don't think it will be easy money for him because Ground is going to have issues with service commitments and on-calls. As of now, just getting it there on the designated day is Ground "service". Express is different in that regard.

I think his real fear is a legal one, because using Ground employees to deliver packages that go through the Express linehaul system might jeopardize the Ground scam. My bet is that the Legal Department has advised him to wait until he's paid-off enough politicians to make Ground's legality iron-clad, and even that might be problematic because the legal system is tougher for a scoundrel like Smith to purchase than the legislative system.

Run upstairs, climb under his desk, and ask MT3 if I'm right and then report back to us, OK?

bbsam

Staff member
It has been suggested that we prepare for a 28% spike in volume beginning July 1st. Absolutely no more information except for a very stern assertion not to wait until the last minute.

vantexan

It has been suggested that we prepare for a 28% spike in volume beginning July 1st. Absolutely no more information except for a very stern assertion not to wait until the last minute.

When was that suggested? Not yanking our chain are you?

vantexan

A 28% spike in Ground volume wouldn't cover all of Express P-2. However one or two of our biggest accounts might. Verizon? Amazon?

bbsam

Staff member
I am not yanking your chain, and the Inquisition itself couldn't have gotten more information from the source. Now how reliable is the source? He's in a position to know, but I wouldn't put his accuracy in the past as stellar or even better than average. Just thought it interesting.

vantexan

I am not yanking your chain, and the Inquisition itself couldn't have gotten more information from the source. Now how reliable is the source? He's in a position to know, but I wouldn't put his accuracy in the past as stellar or even better than average. Just thought it interesting.

It would be in line with my guess that we'll slowly but surely see alot of our volume go to Ground as opposed to all at once.

Ricochet1a

Both Express and Ground move about 3.7 million pieces a day now.

A 28% bump for Ground (not hopeful, but anticipated) has to be a result of shifting of services from somewhere. That amounts to an increase of almost a million pieces a day.

That would be beyond the best dream of any sales type to get an increase of volume, within a short time frame, and on a supposed date certain.

Look at page 19 of the report.

Express has revenue of $10.7 Billion for domestic Express volume. $7.75 Billion of that is for overnight volume, the remainder is for "deferred" volume (non-overnight).

As a percentage of US domestic revenues, overnight volume brings in 72.42% of revenue.

Non overnight revenue is the difference between the above and 100%, or just shy of 28%....

I haven't heard of anything coming this quickly, but I do know that Express is on a trend towards buliding new, larger stations right now. No news on large purchases of equipment for Ground facilities either at this stage.

However... with the threat of unionization eliminated within Express now, if Fred wanted to pull the trigger on shifting of volume, there isn't much holding him back.

As always, look for the installation of caster decking in Ground terminals as the first sign the trigger has been pulled. I wouldn't anticipate Express making any announcement (either publically or internally) until they have all the infrastructure already in place and procedures in place for moving 2nd/3rd day volume directly from the ramps to Ground terminals.

Part of getting the infrastructure in place though would be notifying Ground contractors to "expand" their capability in anticipation of the shift, without actually telling them what the "new volume" is or where it is coming from. If Ground was notified that some new account was gained (or will be) from UPS, they'd include that as part of the rationale for expansion of capability. This "source" of bbsam's (I use sources too...) was very clear about an increase of volume but mum on where it was coming from.

You can connect the dots if you want. At this point though, I haven't heard any confirming data from the people that keep me up to speed.

Ricochet1a

It would be in line with my guess that we'll slowly but surely see alot of our volume go to Ground as opposed to all at once.

It would be on a ramp by ramp basis. The destination ramps would need the capability to break down the volume for specific Ground terminals.

Just as ramps do mini-sort to break down their incoming volume into station specific volume, they'd have to change their operation to allow them to break down incoming volume into Ground terminal specific volume. The hubs cannot build pure cans for Ground terminals at this stage, just too damn complicated without throwing a monkey wrench into the whole works.

If they are going to stage the conversion with incremental shiftovers, then it would work. A few ramps could be "updated" to perform the sorting out of volume to terminals, then with the experience gained from that, Express could expand more and more ramps to do the same.

You're all writing about resi releases at apartments now... Well, why do you think Express is trying to trot that out? It is to cut delivery expense even further - even to the point of being insane. If Express is being so idiotic when it comes to apartment releases, what would make one think that they WOULDN'T pull the trigger on shifting non-overnight volume over to Ground, when that could save them in the ball park of $100 million per year (conservatively).

Ricochet1a

UPS: Worldwide

UPS Daily Volume is 15.6 million pieces, of which 2.2 million are "air" (13.4 million non-air).

Right now, FedEx Ground's 3.7 million daily pieces is 27.6% of UPS's non-air volume - comparing apples to apples, UPS non-air to Ground total volume (explains why UPS isn't in panic mode yet, but it is coming, given the 4% average growth rate in Ground's annual volume).

If bbsam's source is correct (making a big presumption), then the 900,000 daily pieces that Ground is "expecting" would amount to 6.7% of UPS's current (as of 2010 - that is the data for UPS) non-air volume.

Now... if UPS were losing 6.7% of its business come this summer, they'd know about it NOW. They would know that one of their major customers was switching to Ground.

There hasn't been any news about FedEx grabbing a major account from UPS of late...

If bbsam's source is correct about the increase in volume coming this summer to Ground, there is only one source that volume can come from.