How are other centers doing with the DOK questions?

rapidrandall

slow but sure
If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my Union steward, business agent, or Union officer be present at this meeting. Without representation, I choose not to answer any questions.
Amen brother! If everyone would educate themselves about their rights and protections under the contract and then use them, this nonsense would end.

DS

Fenderbender
More you get a gold star for figuring that out.
Grissom could use you on CSI !
Ok try this,the battle of Raglafart was fought way back in the early 1800's...this jumbled name contains the letters that make up the surnames of the two enemies in charge.
Leon Pannalonse
clue...he was not Italian

satellitedriver

More you get a gold star for figuring that out.
Grissom could use you on CSI !
Ok try this,the battle of Raglafart was fought way back in the early 1800's...this jumbled name contains the letters that make up the surnames of the two enemies in charge.
Leon Pannalonse
clue...he was not Italian
The clue should be,
Leon Pannolonse, not Leon Pannalonse.
Maybe you spell "shorty's" name different in Canada.

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
IT'S NOT LIKE YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO LEARN THE FIRST CHAPTER OF WAR AND PEACE, IF YOU WANT TO DO YOUR JOB WELL, THEN YOU SHOULD WANT TO LEARN THESE THINGS. PUT THEM ON THE BACK OF THE TOILET AND IN A WEEK YOU WILL KNOW THEM.

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
BIG BROWN S...., IF YOU SPENT THE TIME LEARNING A LITTLE INFO AND CAN'T AFFORD THE 20 MINUTES OR SO, OR IF YOU ARE MENTALLY CHALLANGED WHERE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO LEARN THE LITTLE BIT OF INFO, THEN THE UNION OR OTHER ENTITY THAT REPRESENTS THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED MAY GET YOU SOME KIND OF WAIVER. I DOUBT YOUR PLAN WILL WORK, BECAUSE IF YOU CAN'T LEARN THIS..THEN SHAKESPEAR IS WAY OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE.

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
RYAN, I BEG TO DIFFER, AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE THE ONE RESPONSIBLE WHEN A PERSON DOESN'T LEARN BASIC INFO AND LOSES MONEY BECAUSE HE/SHE IS SUSPENDED FOR NOT KNOWING THE CRITICAL PARTS OF THEIR JOB. THE QUESTIONS ARE GIVEN MONTHLY AND DRIVERS ARE PAID TO FILL THEM OUT. THE PROBLEM IS THEY SIMPLY COPY THE INFO, WITH NO EFFORT TO LEARN. NEWS FLASH, IT TAKES INTELLIGENCE TO BE A DRIVER. A GOOD DRIVER MUST BE SMART AND DEDICATED TO AT LEAST SOME DEGREE. YOU GUYS NEED TO STOP UNDER-ESTIMATING YOURSELF AND REALIZE YOU HAVE A JOB THAT NOT JUST ANYBODY CAN DO. HOW DO YOU EXPECT UPS TO REALIZE THIS IF YOU DON'T.

Pip

To this day i can not recite everything word for word on the lists below:

5 Seeing Habits
10 Point Commentary
6 Rules of Backing
5 Steps to Avoid Slips and Falls
8 Keys To Lifting and Lowering

I am required to know them, but for some reason i just can't recite them on command. Does that mean i don't know them? nope. I just have a learning brain fart when it comes to memorizing this stuff verbatim. I can demonstrate to a tee what to do and pass without a problem. I'm the type that I do these things without even thinking about them daily in my job. I've proven that to my supervisor. Guess he takes pitty on me, cause there has never been a problem with not being able to recite them on demand.

brown bomber

brown bomber
had a safety ride recently....while I'm trying to perform my job in a SAFE and EFFICIENT manner..I'm being quizzed on the commentary...the job is tough enough without distractions...I know the seeing habits and 10 point commentary....I told the supe to allow me to do my job..during a break I repeated the 5 seeing habits & commentary..along w/ the backing..missed a few of the lifting and slips and falls rules

queenupser

queenupser
Simple fix here. Pull over on the side of the road.Tell supv. to ask you everything he wants to know, that talking to you while driving is a distraction and unsafe. And threating to pull some one off the road for non DOT requirements such as all these new safety rules in an unilateral policy change that be addressed through a NLRA charge. NLRA says any new policy that the company does has to be bargained with the IBT not on a Local level.:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:

Bad Gas!

I have worked with safty for the last year or so asking safty questions as a driver.We try to reward people for there knowledge.We will even allow them to come in early on the clock to go over some of the info...Lately mgt has decided we still have to make 9.5 even though we are pimping the safty for an hour in the a.m.Most safty members are getting out....Mgt had some of veterans leading the path of safty but 9.5 got in the way we all suck to them.........This is my take..I know most of the safty stuff.If it saves a driver in my center avoids one accident or injury in a year it is worth knowing...Most of this info we do by common sense,we just don't put it in words...Mgt shouldn't be bastardistic on how they choose to teach...Make it rewarding ...don't force it down our throats!

tups

Well most of the drivers in my center are getting very fed up with all this. 3 weeks ago my sup told me to be ready for it the following day. I had been dodging it for a few days so the next day while I was in the diad room at 2 minutes before my 9.5 the sup asked me to do it. I told him I'd be over 9.5 if I did. He just sighed and told me to get off the clock. 2 days later at the end of the day, I came in 15 minutes early and sat outside the office studying the answers. The sup asked me why I hadn't punched out and I told him I was studying for the dok's. I said if I was gonna to need to study I was doing it on his time. He told me to punch out, so I did. A week later he asked me to do it in the morning, so I punched in early and passed it. The next day he just had to question me why I was over 9.5 by 10 minutes the day before. I told him it was his job to figure out that I started early and had a full day. Then the very next day the safety committee guys approached me 45 minutes before start time and had me take the dok's again. Again the sup was blowing a gasket for being over 'his' 9.5. It is this kind of actions they are taking that is making us pissed off about this foolishness. Maybe next time I will just take the day when I can't pass it. It is getting ridiculous and very hypocritical. Last week during the snowstorm this same sup was yelling at one guy who felt it was unsafe to drive up snow covered streets, because he had the highest number of undeliverable pieces in the building. And during this same snowstorm they are sending drivers messages over the diad asking us what the rules for backing are. Maybe they should add one rule to these dok's that we all could use. DO NOT DISTRACT DRIVERS WITH USELESS QUESTIONS OVER THE DIAD, ESPECIALLY DURING A BAD SNOWSTORM!!

9/5Everyday

Every month our sups tell us auditors are coming in. They ask us all the questions. Nobody knows. We can all explain them, but not word for word like they want. If i could remember things, i would be a lawyer or doctor. (Wel maybe not) That's why i drive a truck, i didn't study in high school so what makes these idiots think i'm going to study in my 30's when i have a family to come home too!!!!!!!!

So since i screwed off in high school, now i'm paying for it for the next 25 years of my life!!! Thanks Guidance Counselor!!!!

If they would put this much effort in fixing EDD and other problems on route!

Brownnblue

IT'S NOT LIKE YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO LEARN THE FIRST CHAPTER OF WAR AND PEACE, IF YOU WANT TO DO YOUR JOB WELL, THEN YOU SHOULD WANT TO LEARN THESE THINGS. PUT THEM ON THE BACK OF THE TOILET AND IN A WEEK YOU WILL KNOW THEM.

Uhhh, these are your training methods? Even if these complex educational dynamics are followed, wouldn't the physiological factors in taking an oral test come into play when a driver is asked to recite them, word for word?

Thanks for the mnemonics.

And if you put them on the back of the toilet, how would you ever see them? That's the part that faces the wall, isn't it?

"If you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist, I will have nothing to do with you."

brown67

Our center seems to be doing pretty well. We have study sessions once a week that start 1/2 an hour before our start time. All voluntary. Just drivers and saftey committee people. Our center manager will even allow you to come in early more than once a week if you have problems getting it down. That's how I learned it. Really no excuse not to know it at our center, because you get paid to study it. Union pretty much killed the threat of discipline. No one I know of has been disciplined, but most of drivers know the dok from attending the weekly study sessions.

queenupser

queenupser
I currently have a grievance filed because our center manager has threated disciplinary action on co-workers. I'm also asking that our Local file NLRA charges for an unillateral policy change. I'm all for pcm's and paid time safety programs, but threating some ones job for not be able to recite this stuff is crazy. I guess company doesn't have anything else to spend their billion dollar profits on.I'm a 23 year driver and this is the first time the company has been so overboard about reciting word for word anything. Even the supervisors can't do this stuff must less upper management. If the comopany cared about safety like they claim then why do we have over 9.5 hour problems,not enough part-time employees on preload and reload shifts,sups. doing bargaing unit work because their shift is short handed, and lack of proper tools or equipment to move over 70lb packages???????? OOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!!
I guess safety is not the real concern!!!!!!!!!!:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very::happy-very::happy-very::happy-very: