How are you keeping warm out there?

Mustang Sally

Loyal UPS wife
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, or if I am posting this in the wrong place! My husband has a combo job and shifts trailers for the first half of his day - at 3am. The temp this morning was zero and his feet are frozen, I worry about him dealing with potential frostbite. Do any of you have experience with battery socks? Or any other kind of super warm socks? I would love to hear your suggestions so I can help my hubby stay warm out there on the lot. He wears super thick wigwam socks but it's not enough. I searched several sporting good stores online, and amazon and those battery socks got terrible reviews.

Help! Thank you :happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
He has Red Wings, they are pretty good boots I think. He made sure to not get steel toe though because the steel adds to the cold.
That's true.
Shifters have horrible floor heat, very easy for your feet to freeze.

Does he use foot powder? Just a little bit of sweat, and you freeze all night.

Hopefully, someone will answer who has tried the battery socks.

upsgrunt

My suggestions are:
1. 100% wool socks on first, other socks on the outside
and, or
2. Sprinkle some red pepper into your socks before putting them on- don't get carried away.
3. Insulated hunting boots.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
He has Red Wings, they are pretty good boots I think. He made sure to not get steel toe though because the steel adds to the cold.
Red wings are good boots, but it all depends on how many grams of thinsulite (insulation) they are made with. I've seen boots made with between 200 & 1200 grams. Obviously more is better.
You can try LittleHottiesWarmers.com. They are sealed packets, that when opened, create heat. I've tried the pocket type, but just got some for toes
& hand warmers. You can find them at most chain sporting good stores.

kingOFchester

Easy
image.jpg

BrownArmy

Ditto for the two pairs of socks and for the foot powder - cold is one thing, but with heavy boots and two pairs of socks you sweat and then it's all downhill (gold bond makes a nice powder that comes in a white container - not the tingly stuff).

It's all about keeping the feet dry - your husband can also stuff old newspaper in his boots when he's off-duty - it will keep the inside of the boots dry (and extend the life of the boots!).

I haven't had great luck with cold-weather socks that you can find at stores that sell hiking/skiing gear, but l only experimented a bit - turns out you can spend $50 on a pair of socks. Maybe someone else can chime in about some sort of 'wonder-sock'. I find that layering socks works fine for me.

Also, it might sound dumb but make sure your husband is drinking enough water. You don't think of it in the winter, but being hydrated is essential for the bodies' ability to regulate temperature.

You could put cayenne in the boots, but you could also add some ginger root and cayenne to the diet, it doesn't take much if you do it daily and it seems to help.

Good luck!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Gortex boots and like everyone else said keep hid feet dry. Chances are they are sweating and that's making it 10x worse.