How are you keeping warm out there?

rod

Retired 22 years
Cold feet suck or so I'm told. I'm lucky-I never get cold feet (I must have good circulation). You say it gets down to zero----Damn---at zero around here we wear flip flops (-26 last night). When I was about 7 years old my older brother thought it would be funny to throw me out of the house in my underwear/barefoot. It was -35 below-----it wasn't funny. We used to get my mothers dish clothes wet and hang them over the fence off the back porch. After they froze we would snap them into like potato chips. Mom was real proud of us. We also did this many times:

Hot water on a cold day - YouTube

kingOFchester

Sorry abound the large pics. Using ipad and not real famillure with posting with it. Had a beautiful day. Went diving this morning and saw a baraccuda that was every inch of five foot. Looks like i picked a good week to go away. Good luck with the cold to all my fellow upsers. Going to take a nap and rest up for round 2 at the bar......or is that round three?

Fishing trip for tomorrow.

STFXG

Few things...

Sock liners. Can't think of the material but its like under armour shirts. It wicks away any moisture. A very thin sock.

Then wool socks or some other kind of synthetic sock. NEVER cotton. Cotton absorbs liquid.

Disposable feet warmers. Those little pad looking things that you open up and they get warm when exposed to air.

Boot warmers if you don't like the pads. You can get then for ski boots. I haven't tried them on work boots but it could be an option. They are battery operated and rechargeable.

Finally, something to dry out his boots every night. They could be holding moisture which would just be compounding the problem. I put mine over a heat vent every night. But you can buy dryers...

There's all my tricks for work and skiing.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
We do not get very cold here, but this morning 14 degrees, three layers under armour cold gear shirts, a vest (cannot stand wering a coat) and steel toe boot socks ( 1 pair) only thing cold on me today were my fingers even with gloves on

They make thinsulate sock liners that work good. As mentioned wear them inside wool not cotton socks.
Also tell him to bring a carpet sample rectangle available sometimes for free from carpet stores and place it on the floor in front of the seat to place his feet on to insulate from the cold coming through the floor. If none is available have him swing by the shop and grab a used mud flap and cut it to fit for the same purpose. Worse comes to worse theres always scrap cardboard.

bumped

We do not get very cold here, but this morning 14 degrees, three layers under armour cold gear shirts, a vest (cannot stand wering a coat) and steel toe boot socks ( 1 pair) only thing cold on me today were my fingers even with gloves on

14 degrees would be a nice day when its -5 out.

Packmule

For feet, I wear hunting boots with 1200 grams thinsulate. The rest, I just bought a pair of Polartec, polar weight long johns from Cabela's. I find they are like having 3 layers on, only without the bulk. Like them so much, I even bought a pair for my law enforcement son. Highly recommend them!

DS

Fenderbender
It doesn't matter what you wear,being out in below zero weather 10 hours drains you.
I'm still shivering a bit and it's after 11pm.
Today I had 1 sleeveless,1 short sleeve,3 long sleeve,a ups shirt,
a light ups coat and a vest.
4 long sleeve t-shirts tomorrow .
Brrrrrrrrrr

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It was COLD here today! I had to wear my jacket all day long.,and I do mean the ENTIRE day!! I even had to run my heater this morning!

brown bomber

brown bomber
it looks to me that some might be overdressing.......I rarely wore the UPS "winter coat", even in sub-zero weather...........I preferred wearing the vest, w/ 2 layers under the UPS shirt.......I always had extra gloves, socks, and on occasion a pair of boots......there were times, that my waterproof boots were sitting inverted on the dash of the the PC ( with the defroster blowing full blast)...............while I wore my backup boots
drivers used to give me grief, about my backup supplies

lateagain

Google Neos overshoes. They are the absolute best thing for your feet. They are warmer than any boots I have ever purchased, lightweight, and waterproof. You wear them over tennis shoes, and my feet have never gotten cold in them. There are insulated and non insulated versions, and if you decided to go with these, go with the uninsulated. It got all the way up to 6 degrees here today, and my feet never got cold.

S

serenity now

it looks to me that some might be overdressing.......I rarely wore the UPS "winter coat", even in sub-zero weather...........I preferred wearing the vest, w/ 2 layers under the UPS shirt.......I always had extra gloves, socks, and on occasion a pair of boots......there were times, that my waterproof boots were sitting inverted on the dash of the the PC ( with the defroster blowing full blast)...............while I wore my backup boots
drivers used to give me grief, about my backup supplies

bet that gave a delightful freshness to the truck cab

Notretiredyet

I spent the $$ on underarmour 3.0 base gear top and bottom. Wear the new long sleeve shirt- jak over the top with a vest and I'm good to 0'. Although last nite it was windy so I broke out my jacket for the first time in a few years. Damn it was cold last nite, even the ink in my pen froze.

Steward773

Red wings are good boots, but it all depends on how many grams of thinsulite (insulation) they are made with. I've seen boots made with between 200 & 1200 grams. Obviously more is better.
You can try LittleHottiesWarmers.com. They are sealed packets, that when opened, create heat. I've tried the pocket type, but just got some for toes
& hand warmers. You can find them at most chain sporting good stores.

I shift as well and the only place on my body that was cold was my feet. An audit clerk gave me those little hotties warmers for feet and they worked quite well. They stick to the bottom of your sock and are shaped like your toes so they don't move around inside the boot. They are warm, but not hot enough to make your feet sweat...I was impressed.....and warmer!