How as life changed in centers with little or no Amazon volume?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Right now they need us! But if there goal is to be able to deliver packages the same day at best and the next day at worst and they make this happen, no matter how long it takes, we become the 2nd biggest delivery company in the USA. That's best case scenario.
Please explain. I would love to hear this.

Brownslave688

No Amazon?

They may as well slapped Amazon logos on the planes we had come in this morning. Probably 80% Amazon.

People don't think they'll be able to pull off an air cargo business. After seeing the air we got today, I'd beg to differ
But that's a very small time frame of the year.

Brownslave688

What do you think the ultimate goal is for Amazon in going into the delivery business?
Honestly I don't think they are going into the delivery business. They are looking to cut down on the costs of moving their good. I see nothing that points to them making the final delivery at this point.

You didn't even remotely answer my question.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Ok. Calm down. I'm on the same team. I hope your right. But don't you think if they are able to move their goods at a same day - next day service that other companies wouldn't want them to do it also?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In order to profit on the delivery ,, you need stop density!
A private contractor working for them would make peanuts , they would need to do twenty to thirty stops in a neighbor hood to profit , they will eventually quit when the 96 Ford Windstar conks out and the next sap will replace him ! Service will suffer and eventually the consignees will begin to complain about the shabby looking people in their nice little neighbor hoods and want UPS or fedex back !
Just look at how people are freaking out now cuz we show up in a u haul rental !!
JMOP

Brownslave688

Ok. Calm down. I'm on the same team. I hope your right. But don't you think if they are able to move their goods at a same day - next day service that other companies wouldn't want them to do it also?
First that's a very small market.

Second the only reason they could do it with their own stuff is because they would have it right there in stock. Just like wal mart is offering local same day delivery.

Ups and fedex run a pretty tight profitable ship in the shipping industry.
I don't see someone coming in and totally changing the game.

Brownslave688

A private contractor working for them would make peanuts , they would need to do twenty to thirty stops in a neighbor hood to profit , they will eventually quit when the 96 Ford Windstar conks out and the next sap will replace him ! Service will suffer and eventually the consignees will begin to complain about the shabby looking people in their nice little neighbor hoods and want UPS or fedex back !
Just look at how people are freaking out now cuz we show up in a u haul rental !!
JMOP
Exactly. Not to mention all of these vehicles have to pass inspection and drivers pass DOT. I know that's not the case right now if under 10k lbs but there's no way the government is gonna let every tom dick and Harry deliver interstate commerce.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
At 10 to 50 million for just used 757's plus maintenance , air rights , feeders , cans , ground workers , tugs, airport lease , that's just for airline start up nevermind ground fleet land , workers hubs and trucks ,,,, Good luck to yah
It only took us 107 yrs to build this !!!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
But that's a very small time frame of the year.
I'm still skeptical on the final delivery part of it. But the air cargo part I'm actually coming around to. They could very easily set up a series of hubs strategically around the US where they fly a plane or two every night, and inject it into either us or most likely the USPS. Would cut costs tremendously.

For this time of year though they would still have to rely on us and FedEx for a lot of the lift though.

Brownslave688

I'm still skeptical on the final delivery part of it. But the air cargo part I'm actually coming around to. They could very easily set up a series of hubs strategically around the US where they fly a plane or two every night, and inject it into either us or most likely the USPS. Would cut costs tremendously.

For this time of year though they would still have to rely on us and FedEx for a lot of the lift though.
Planes and pilots cost a ton though.

I don't know I just fail to see how if ups USPS and fedex are barely breaking even on their shipments how do they expect to do it for cheaper.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
One of my daily pick ups is at FedEx Ground facility where.almost,every package I pick up is from Amazon. They load our stuff in FedEx trailers and vice versa at an amazing rate.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

JMOP
Exactly. Not to mention all of these vehicles have to pass inspection and drivers pass DOT. I know that's not the case right now if under 10k lbs but there's no way the government is gonna let every tom dick and Harry deliver interstate commerce.
What's stopping them from moving away from private contractors and paying a decent wage to Amazon drivers like UPS does?
One of my daily pick ups is at FedEx Ground facility where.almost,every package I pick up is from Amazon. They load our stuff in FedEx trailers and vice versa at an amazing rate.
Look! I understand everybody's point. You guys understand this industry well. I just don't want us to underestimate what this company can do in the future!

Ms.PacMan

What's stopping them from moving away from private contractors and paying a decent wage to Amazon drivers like UPS does?

It may come to that. I read an interesting online discussion where people were saying that the private contractors were purposely delivering late at night to make sure people were home so they could solicit for tips. People felt pressured to tip them and were complaining that the free shipping then wasn't free.

Anthonysg0113

Look! I understand everybody's point. You guys understand this industry well. I just don't want us to underestimate what this company can do in the future!
UPS drivers are unionized.