How Big Is The US Debt?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Obama wants us to go over the cliff. His obamacare tax hikes are built into the deal that automatically takes effect. The GOP will get blamed for middle class tax hikes this way. If a deal is actually struck and people keep their tax breaks then they will realize in 6 months when the obamacare tax kicks in.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Right now what the country needs is for us to compromise, get a deficit reduction deal in place," the president told reporters at the White House.

How do you get deficit reduction when asking for over a trillion $$ in new spending??? Reduction is the furthest thing from his mind!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
If Dingbat doesn't let the Senate vote, then they come up looking like the party of 'no' in my opinion......

Dingy is already refusing to allow a Senate vote on the plan.

Via Politico:
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said unequivocally Thursday that Speaker John Boehner’s fiscal cliff fallback plan would pass the lower chamber later in the day — at the same time his party’s leadership was working privately to shore up support.

The so-called Plan B Boehner is pushing would extend tax rates for income below $1 million but force families making over that threshold to pay Clinton-era rates of nearly 40 percent. Late Wednesday night, Republican leaders incorporated a proposal to spare the Pentagon from looming spending cuts and shift the reductions to other agencies.

Cantor, the No. 2 House Republican, said the plan is the “nation’s best option.”
“Senate Democrats should take up these measures immediately,” Cantor said in the Capitol. “And the president has a decision to make, he can support these measures, or be responsible for reckless spending and the largest tax hike in American history.”

But the Plan B is dead even before the vote, as Obama has already said he would veto it.

And behind the scenes, Democratic leaders are warning Boehner and his team that they are badly misreading the situation. The
Senate will not take up Boehner’s bill until the House votes on extending tax rates on income below $250,000, they have been warned. Boehner and his team scrapped a vote on that measure Wednesday.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Very, very narcissistic comments from the preezy.........."GOP doesn't want to agree with him on anything"(because it's him).........did he ever think it's not about him, but they are looking out for their people???

What a pompous..........!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Air Force One is on the tarmac (now) waiting for the family to say "ALOHA"..........he's delegating and leaving....his usual M.O. "Shaved Ice here we come!!!!"

Via The Hill:

AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka on Friday said President Obama should withdraw his offer to cut Social Security benefits following the failure of House Republicans to move their “Plan B” tax proposal.

In a statement, Trumka said with Speaker John Boehner unable to pass his plan on Thursday to resolve the “fiscal cliff,” there should be a reset of negotiations and the White House should offer a proposal that reflects Obama’s election win in November.

“Speaker Boehner’s failure last night should be seen as one thing: a reset button to listen to the will of the American people. The slate is clean and we call on the president to come forward with an offer that reflects the reasons he won the election,” Trumka said.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Via WSJ:
. . .Mr. Obama repeatedly lost patience with the speaker as negotiations faltered. In an Oval Office meeting last week, he told Mr. Boehner that if the sides didn’t reach agreement, he would use his inaugural address and his State of the Union speech to tell the country the Republicans were at fault.

At one point, according to notes taken by a participant, Mr. Boehner told the president, “I put $800 billion [in tax revenue] on the table. What do I get for that?”
“You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.”

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Obama ran on increasing taxes for the wealthiest Americans. He won.

The CNBC 'Moneyhoney' is a classless person who not only has been wrong consistently in her job, but displayed a stunning lack of understanding of how the government operates in that interview.

moreluck

golden ticket member

The CNBC 'Moneyhoney' is a classless person who not only has been wrong consistently in her job, but displayed a stunning lack of understanding of how the government operates in that interview.

Yeah, but ain't she hot openin' that can of whoop ass ?????

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why doesn't the gov't sell some of the expensive, vacant real estate it owns and pay down some of the debt instead of feeding money into these properties.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Why doesn't the gov't sell some of the expensive, vacant real estate it owns and pay down some of the debt instead of feeding money into these properties.

What are you talking about?

Unless you just want to ramble, you should at least reference WTH you are trying to discuss.

If you are just ramblimg, carry on. Job well done.

moreluck

golden ticket member
What are you talking about?

Unless you just want to ramble, you should at least reference WTH you are trying to discuss.

If you are just ramblimg, carry on. Job well done.

The gov't owns billions in real estate that is vacant and requires manitenance........so sorry you were unaware of this. It is all part of Obama's plan......weren't you aware of it?

Proposed Obama Budget Cuts Include Selling 69,000 Government Owned Buildings; Resulting in Largest Real Estate Sale in U.S. History - WORLD PROPERTY CHANNEL Global News Center

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The gov't owns billions in real estate that is vacant and requires manitenance........so sorry you were unaware of this. It is all part of Obama's plan......weren't you aware of it?

Proposed Obama Budget Cuts Include Selling 69,000 Government Owned Buildings; Resulting in Largest Real Estate Sale in U.S. History - WORLD PROPERTY CHANNEL Global News Center

Im sorry, did I miss somewhere where OBAMA purchased all these buildings? OH wait, those buildings were the proud purchases of the GOP.

Sorry, for a second, I thought you knew what you were talking about. Carry on.

peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

All the people who voted for obama because they thought they were gonna get something for nothing are in for a BIG surprise.
His tax increase will affect 90% of the people.
Happy now?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

We all have to do our share TRICK. Your beloved GOP and BUSH cut taxes and drove this country into a deficit ditch and now you are going to have to pay your way out of it.

Dont like it? Dont vote for the GOP.

Peace

TOS

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no problem with the 2% payroll tax cut expiring. Yes, the extra $20-40/week in my pocket was nice, but I would rather help get our fiscal house in order than treat myself to lunch or dinner and a movie.

bbsam

Staff member
The 2% payroll tax holiday was meant to be temporary and stimulative. Kudos to Congress for staying with it's original intent.

over9five

Staff member
I have no problem with the 2% payroll tax cut expiring. Yes, the extra $20-40/week in my pocket was nice, but I would rather help get our fiscal house in order than treat myself to lunch or dinner and a movie.

The 2% payroll tax holiday was meant to be temporary and stimulative. Kudos to Congress for staying with it's original intent.
Although I mostly agree with you guys, Upstate's final sentence bothers me, because of it's truth. MILLIONS of Americans will now have to skip that dinner and movie (or something). What will that do to the economy, or to those industries?

bbsam

Staff member
Although I mostly agree with you guys, Upstate's final sentence bothers me, because of it's truth. MILLIONS of Americans will now have to skip that dinner and movie (or something). What will that do to the economy, or to those industries?
Not much would be my guess. I don't think most people forego eating out or entertainment for the sake of personal fiscal responsibility. May end up putting an extra several hundred dollars on the personal credit card by the end of the year though.