How big is your 401k?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do you guys who invest in the 401k feel as if there should be some additional choices to put your money into?? Seems a company as large as ups should be offering a few more funds..
It's pretty common. You can put it in a self managed a count and have I liked choices if you so choose. The fees are so low (and just went down) its yards to beat.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
hey gang,....no matter what Momma June and Sugar Bear are breaking up,...how will the world continue to rotate ??
tumblr_m8vac6ZG731ql5yr7o1_400.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I first say the letter title, I thought the fees were going up, not down, not that they were high anyway. That was a pleasant surprise.
Me too. I opened it and it said fee changes. My first thought was well it was a nice ride with dirt cheap fees. Then I looked and was like sweet. I know we are a really big company but my wife's fees are over double ours and she has less than 10 funds to choose from.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My 401k is just below $120K and my goal is to retire with a balance close to $200K. I recently bought 256 shares of Apple ($95/share) through the SMA and used the dividends to buy 2 more shares. I have no personal debt and my mortgage will be paid off 3 months before I retire. My projected pension is $5K/month. My plan is to live off of my pension and delay SS until I turn 67. I am debating whether or not to tap in to my 401k to help my son pay down his $73K of student loan debt. Suze Orman says I would be foolish to do so and she is probably right but I feel awful that he is starting his professional life with that burden on his shoulders. He estimates paying $800/month for the next 10 years just to pay it off.

Ms.PacMan

Out of curiosity what area of the country are you in...do you have reasonable housing or crazy high where you are..I think that is the biggest challenge when it comes to a 401k....many people now have very high rents or mortgages. ..along with the excess toys and such
I live in the Midwest. I think for most people though the cost of living is not that different. Spenders tend to gravitate towards the cost of living argument IMO.

Here is a list of the medium HOUSEHOLD income for a sampling of US cities http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-income_metropolitan_statistical_areas_in_the_United_States
you can see that a full-time UPSer makes more than the average household everywhere.

And a cost of living index for selected US cities (with a point score of 100 representing the average) http://www.infoplease.com/business/economy/cost-living-index-us-cities.html

oldngray

nowhere special
If you have your house paid for and have no debts you don't need nearly as much as the "experts" claim. Just don't go crazy buying too many new toys just because you have some money.