How big is your 401k?

AndUPSER

Anyone think $10 a week in UPS stock would be a good investment? I plan on staying at UPS and I, like I said above, put 8% into a Roth 401k. I've read many times on this site not to buy UPS stock, but reading this forum has me interested.

UPS4Life

5% discount why not. Just have to hold it in there for 2 years before you can withdraw but even 10$/wk adds up. You would be looking around 5-6 shares for the year if the price stays close to where it is. If you get enough our dividend is a great kickback reinvest and bump up contributions with a raise. This is just my own personal opinion with a little experience. Have been investing about 3 years now and I'm in the green as far as making money goes.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AndUPSER

5% discount why not. Just have to hold it in there for 2 years before you can withdraw but even 10$/wk adds up. You would be looking around 5-6 shares for the year if the price stays close to where it is. If you get enough our dividend is a great kickback reinvest and bump up contributions with a raise. This is just my own personal opinion with a little experience. Have been investing about 3 years now and I'm in the green as far as making money goes.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Thanks, I have read 14 pages on the retirement section just to get some ideas. I will also be meeting with a financial advisor after peak season.

The two year withdraw rule means you can sell all shares after two years, correct? Let's say I start buying in January 2015, but want to sell in January 2017 and have 10 shares. I can sell all 10 shares, even though I bought the last share in December 2015?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Thanks, I have read 14 pages on the retirement section just to get some ideas. I will also be meeting with a financial advisor after peak season.

The two year withdraw rule means you can sell all shares after two years, correct? Let's say I start buying in January 2015, but want to sell in January 2017 and have 10 shares. I can sell all 10 shares, even though I bought the last share in December 2015?
You can only sell the shares you bought 2 years ago. UPS encourages buy and hold.

beatupbrown

Do you mean what a massive waste of time money and rescources it is for most degrees?
Yes I agree Trillion dollars in student loans is huge. Some Kids get degrees that are not in demand graduate and no job waiting in the wings, rack up major debt. Junior colleges are a great resource for kids not sure why it is not used more often? Is it kids want to follow their buddies to the state university?

I told my kids at a very early age college is a must but you must get a degree that is in demand .My son took college level math in high school and was given college credits for it. If you start early in high school to prepare for college you can be done early in their degree save mom and dad lots of money. My son will have most if not all of his math his sophomore year done, he is getting A degree in Electrical Engineering .My daughter is doing the same thing taking college level math in high school she is looking at Industrial Engineering .

I am also a big fan of trade schools, some folks say no just go to work early with a say plumber pick up the trade then you can make good money after you master the craft.USA seems to adrift in unskilled labor we still need plumbers ,Electricians .etc..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes I agree Trillion dollars in student loans is huge. Some Kids get degrees that are not in demand graduate and no job waiting in the wings, rack up major debt. Junior colleges are a great resource for kids not sure why it is not used more often? Is it kids want to follow their buddies to the state university?

I told my kids at a very early age college is a must but you must get a degree that is in demand .My son took college level math in high school and was given college credits for it. If you start early in high school to prepare for college you can be done early in their degree save mom and dad lots of money. My son will have most if not all of his math his sophomore year done, he is getting A degree in Electrical Engineering .My daughter is doing the same thing taking college level math in high school she is looking at Industrial Engineering .

I am also a big fan of trade schools, some folks say no just go to work early with a say plumber pick up the trade then you can make good money after you master the craft.USA seems to adrift in unskilled labor we still need plumbers ,Electricians .etc..

Community colleges are a great value and for the most part the credits transfer directly to a 4 year school.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My wife is thinking about a career move. I'm thinking of paying the house off with some of my UPS stock and maybe stopping or lowering my 401k contributions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IMO students who excelled in high school should not go to community college as they would be wasting their time and money.

Photog, care to elaborate on why you disagree with this post?

I will use my kids as examples. My daughter was an academic all-star who had her pick of 4 year schools. The private school she attended used the same semestering concept that most universities use. She would have been bored if she had instead chosen to start at our local community college. My son was a solid B student who, in hind sight, would have benefited from going to a 2 year school out of high school rather than a 4 year school. He spent his only year there partying and was asked not to return. Today he has his MBA and can attribute part of that success to the 2 years he spent (and paid for) at our local community college.

beentheredonethat

I will use my kids as examples. My daughter was an academic all-star who had her pick of 4 year schools. The private school she attended used the same semestering concept that most universities use. She would have been bored if she had instead chosen to start at our local community college. My son was a solid B student who, in hind sight, would have benefited from going to a 2 year school out of high school rather than a 4 year school. He spent his only year there partying and was asked not to return. Today he has his MBA and can attribute part of that success to the 2 years he spent (and paid for) at our local community college.

Upstate, If you are talking about that upper 1% who can get into the likes of MIT or Harvard then I would want them to go to that caliber of school. Especially if they are awarded substantial scholarships. Similarly, if they can get into other high level colleges with significant scholarships to bring the cost of college to very reasonable levels I'd also want them to go there. However, for a large majority of students the first two years have "core" courses, Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, College Writing etc. (I'm basing this on my freshman courses for engineering). These courses are generally boring. You can take most of these courses at a 2 year community college and pay far far less and they transfer to many 4 year colleges. A fraternity brother of mine knew he wanted to go to a certain state college for a 4 year degree in Industrial engineering. However, he had to pay for college himself and wanted to reduce costs. He did a dual enrollment and got his A.S. degree then his B.S. degree in 4 years. He paid roughly 25% less overall, he had 2 degrees instead of just one. His overall GPA was higher too. (Since credits transfer but not GPA). Many students typically do better in their Jr and Sr year while they take courses in their major vs the initial two years of core courses. Just because it is a community college does not mean they will be bored. For those students who are "asked to not come back" if that occurs, they at least did not spend that much money failing. Overall, I see a community college as a great deal. My daughter did not attend one, my son is starting to look and i will let him choose what he wants to do.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

The first 2 years are core curriculum courses that are pretty much the same no matter where you go.
The cost to attend a community college while living at home is usually 20 to 25% the cost of a stay away 4 year college.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The first 2 years are core curriculum courses that are pretty much the same no matter where you go.
The cost to attend a community college while living at home is usually 20 to 25% the cost of a stay away 4 year college.

Locally the cost of a community college while living at home is at least 50% cheaper.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sometimes the benefits outweigh the cost. They don't live at home.