How can ups compete with fedex with its higher labor costs?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 32blaine, Oct 7, 2016.

1. 32blaine

32blaine New Member

how? FedEx should cream ups...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

On the surface you would think that's the case. Ups, with the high wage and benefit package shouldn't be able to compete. We have a very good business model and make a good profit, because of hard work and efficiency. UPS is always looking for new ways to do business to stay competitive and profitable.
  3. dudebro

dudebro Active Member

Generally, we're better at keeping our infrastructure (buildings and vehicles) no larger than it needs to be, and our labor is more productive.
  4. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Well they cut that $1000 bonus at christmas, and then they took the turkeys away and the gift cards for turkeys away so they should be making tons now.
  5. KOG72

KOG72 Well-Known Member

My customers would rather see me than the Fed Ex driver I'm cooler so they'll pay more
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

The FedEx is a limp wristed sissy boy. We kick arse every day.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  7. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Ever heard the old adage that "you get what you pay for"?

The same is true with package delivery.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Then need a good laugh?
  9. The fact that FedEx is splintered into so many branches is what hurts them. I drive the only brown truck that serves my small communities, but there are up to 3 white and purple trucks (excluding freight). That's a lot of extra fuel and maintenance, not to mention multiple salaries. Sure, maintaining the illusion that they are separate companies is effective at keeping unions out (so far)...but it comes at the cost of extreme inefficiency.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. KOG72

KOG72 Well-Known Member

I give it to them also
  11. Did You pull down your pants?
  12. KOG72

KOG72 Well-Known Member

13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

"Good enough" is the new mantra.
  14. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Better late then never delivery service.
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Orion----"delivering for dummies".
  16. matty_lawn

matty_lawn Active Member

I got offered a job to drive for fed ex for 130 a day without benefits. I walked away before I laughed in his face.
  17. opey

opey Member

Ups makes up for it in volume and productivity. tell a fedex driver you do 200 stops a day and see their reaction
  18. One peak season I shared an elevator with a DHL driver. We got to talking about the busy holidays. He said he was swamped for the day with 74 stops. He asked how many I had. It was 1245 and I had 50 something off already. He was seriously dumbfounded. Told him I had around 250 that day
  19. rp3

rp3 Member

A local FedEx driver told me that there building was going to hourly! There hourly wage will probably be 12.50 so he thought all the over time.lmfao
  20. DriverNerd

DriverNerd Member

UPS gave me a new bulk stop delivery and while there a Fedex Ground driver was there the same time. I was on the dock, he looked in my truck from the back (I had 60+ to deliver there, he had maybe 5) and he said "my trucks never been that full". I told him it was just an average day, wait until peak. He said, "no wonder you guys get paid more."