How can we protect future UPS workers?

ups1990

A fellow BC member commented about future workers being affected by our current contractual voting patterns.
What can we, as a large voting group do to help those that will be taking over our driver duties in the near and distant future? Many generatons of drivers before us no doubt left this company and union relatively healthy. Did we make too many financial demands on UPS that affectively is squeezing the life of us or is the workload a sum result of a technological age which drivers before us could never have imagined. I wrote on a different thread that those of us in the late 30's and above will be the last drivers to reach peer 80(west coast) due to the mental and physical toll of this job. My wish is for those coming up behind us to enjoy what we ALL have benefited by working for this giant. Modest home, modest cars, modest vacations, 401k and pension.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This job can be done at a safe and decent pace for 30 years but this is not in ups best interest, thus the totally bogus numbers we are brainwashed to believe (just look at the guys who get to the building and make a beeline to the wor. ..it actually pretty sad.) Just look at all of the injuries that are happening here, guys out on disability and comp, do you think they are out because they came to work saying to themselves.." I'm going to get hurt at work today"...I really doubt it, it's people who are going a mile a minute trying to beat the planned day...it's true if any of you want to believe it or not.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This job can be done at a safe and decent pace for 30 years but this is not in ups best interest, thus the totally bogus numbers we are brainwashed to believe (just look at the guys who get to the building and make a beeline to the wor. ..it actually pretty sad.) look at all of the injuries that are happening here, guys out on disability and comp, do you think they are out because they came to work saying to themselves.." I'm going to get hurt at work today"...I really doubt it, it's people who are going a mile a minute trying to beat the planned day...it's true if any of you want to believe it or not.

A fellow BC member commented about future workers being affected by our current contractual voting patterns.
What can we, as a large voting group do to help those that will be taking over our driver duties in the near and distant future? Many generatons of drivers before us no doubt left this company and union relatively healthy. Did we make too many financial demands on UPS that affectively is squeezing the life of us or is the workload a sum result of a technological age which drivers before us could never have imagined. I wrote on a different thread that those of us in the late 30's and above will be the last drivers to reach peer 80(west coast) due to the mental and physical toll of this job. My wish is for those coming up behind us to enjoy what we ALL have benefited by working for this giant. Modest home, modest cars, modest vacations, 401k and pension.

1) Vote in strong leadership in the union, nationally and locally.

2) Invent a time machine to go back to the beginning as every generation has sold out the one that follows it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Sure, you write this after the latest contract was ratified. You could start by thinking about your future when you vote.

Our future people should start by learning how to read and think for themselves. I saw it in my building and I know it happens in other locals like Local 89, where you ask people why they are voting NO and too many people's responses are, "Because so-and-so told me to." Never read a word o the proposal but merely voting on heresy.

beentheredonethat

I realize I have a management viewpoint, so many may not agree. But to your question of how you can protect future UPS workers. I think the first thing you need to do is ensure that their is a UPS. I know a lot of people will think we are too big to fail or other similar opinions. However, there are a lot of big companies that have not lasted the test of time. In fact with UPS being almost 107 years old is unique, although it doesn't guarantee we will be around for another 107 years. There are a lot of companies out there, Lasership, Velocity Express that are growing. Also we have the old standbys of FDX and USPS along with DHL that could always decide to come back to the US. Also, we are seeing companies like Amazon thinking of starting their own delivery fleet.

UPS pays more (a lot more) to our drivers then the competition does. We make up on that by being more efficient (UPS drivers deliver more then others) We do that in part due to our density. If UPS can't continue to maintain the dominant delivery position then other companies will get parity with UPS in regards to density. If that happens, then UPS will seriously go downhill in terms of profitability.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We can be protected by not having to wait a million years for top rate. The new 4 year progression is still a sore spot.

I disagree. Even though I received my top rate in 2 years, I can totally see 4 years being justifiable. To go from $40k/year (working regularly) to $80k/year is still a pretty quick hike over a 4 year period. Don't be so greedy/impatient/entitled.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I realize I have a management viewpoint, so many may not agree. But to your question of how you can protect future UPS workers. I think the first thing you need to do is ensure that their is a UPS. I know a lot of people will think we are too big to fail or other similar opinions. However, there are a lot of big companies that have not lasted the test of time. In fact with UPS being almost 107 years old is unique, although it doesn't guarantee we will be around for another 107 years. There are a lot of companies out there, Lasership, Velocity Express that are growing. Also we have the old standbys of FDX and USPS along with DHL that could always decide to come back to the US. Also, we are seeing companies like Amazon thinking of starting their own delivery fleet.

UPS pays more (a lot more) to our drivers then the competition does. We make up on that by being more efficient (UPS drivers deliver more then others) We do that in part due to our density. If UPS can't continue to maintain the dominant delivery position then other companies will get parity with UPS in regards to density. If that happens, then UPS will seriously go downhill in terms of profitability.
Good points but to be fair part timers are probably paid the same as someone who works at FedEx ground....and mgt here at ups are probably enjoying a larger salary and better benefits than the same level of mgr over at FedEx or dhl...There are thousands of sups and managers here...The pay difference does add up..let's be fair

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I disagree. Even though I received my top rate in 2 years, I can totally see 4 years being justifiable. To go from $40k/year (working regularly) to $80k/year is still a pretty quick hike over a 4 year period. Don't be so greedy/impatient/entitled.
I think it's justifiable for off the street hires or pt'ers going driving after a year or two...not guys waiting 8,9, 10 years to drive....

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Our future will see the gradual elimination of the defined benefit pension plan, which will be replaced by our 401k.

So, let's take your pension then as an example. You've stated that you'll get $5700/month when you retire, or $68,400/year. Multiply that by say 30 years to put you at close to 90 yrs old and you'll earn nearly 2 million just in retirement benefits. Even with UPS matching future teamsters 401k up to say 6%, you'll be hard pressed to earn 2 million in the 401k. Good luck with that. You'll have to be the luckiest investor on the planet to put away enough money to make up that kind of money.

Keep giving up those concessions people.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So, let's take your pension then as an example. You've stated that you'll get $5700/month when you retire, or $68,400/year. Multiply that by say 30 years to put you at close to 90 yrs old and you'll earn nearly 2 million just in retirement benefits. Even with UPS matching future teamsters 401k up to say 6%, you'll be hard pressed to earn 2 million in the 401k. Good luck with that. You'll have to be the luckiest investor on the planet to put away enough money to make up that kind of money.

Retirement, not just at UPS, is going to be redefined as the baby boomers start to retire in droves, and live longer than anyone planned for. America's model of retirement isn't sustainable. People living to 90, 100+ years old. We're talking about people not working for the last 30+ years of their lives.... is that realistic from a financial viewpoint?

I don't like it, but most people my age have already accepted SS is gonna be bankrupt or significantly restructured long before we're eligible.... and most people I know don't have a pension or a 401k. Their plan is to work until the day they die.... I hope for better, but I'm not holding my breath. The way our "union" keeps giving concessions contract after contract, the future is looking bleak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

People who work for the same employer for their entire adult lives are becoming a thing of the past. Employees want the flexibility and portability of a 401k.